Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Affiliates - we want more

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

Some people are never happy. According to this Broadcasting & Cable article:

A CBS spokesperson says the network's 10 p.m. performance has led to a 15% ratings increase in late local news, compared to last fall, for affiliates in Local People Meter markets.

But the affiliates are complaining because ABC and NBC provide rich content in the last few minutes before the 11 pm news.

The affiliates produced a study from Frank N. Magid Associates at the May meeting that broke down exactly what the networks air in the 10-11 hour. General managers who saw it said ABC and NBC were content-rich in the last 10 minutes; CBS, one says, was “a train wreck” of spots, credits and teasers. CBS countered with its own research about the network's effectiveness in driving viewers to late news, and the two parties left at an impasse. (CBS, of course, has ample skin in the local news game, with 14 O&Os.)

From what I can tell, CBS is providing a pretty good lead in:

Posted Image

Of course it isn't necessarily the result of actions by CBS. From another article on the same B&C page:

While NBC affiliates are hoping that The Jay Leno Show can find its comfortable ratings middle ground, a number of CBS affiliates say the demise of scripted dramas at 10 p.m. on NBC has been a boon for their prime—and their late news. The general managers at various CBS affiliates say they're seeing ratings gains on what used to be their weaker nights, with a ratings generator such as NBC's Law & Order out of the 10 p.m. picture.

...NBC affiliates keep emphasizing that Leno must be measured over the course of a year; it will be fresh for 46 weeks, a considerable advantage when the competition is in reruns....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

But the affiliates are complaining because ABC and NBC provide rich content in the last few minutes before the 11 pm news.

I thought NBC went off the air at 10PM.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

I thought NBC went off the air at 10PM.

9 PM Central/Mountain. ;)

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

As predicted.

Leno is killing local news, which is a major profit center for affiliates.

Now there are still places where all of the stations are not equal. Level of commitment to local news, rimshot signals, legacy of being UHF in the NTSC era, and so on. The next step in NBC's slide into being a netlet will be CBS and ABC geting affiliate swaps in those markets.

#5 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

Is there any local CBS affiliate news on Sunday night? It seems that the schedulers, after all these years still don't have a handle on how long a sports event will take. I checked my CBS last night at 6:01 to see where in the ball game they were since local news is scheduled for 6pm. End of the third quarter. I checked again at 9:30 (I have a manual set for 9 - 11 hoping to get Cold Case) and it appeared as if Amazing Race was just getting started. Haven't checked yet this am to see if I managed to get CC on the one time manual timer I set for 11 - 1.

And football isn't the only thing that runs over. Almost without fail any sports event on Sunday afternoon will run long. Why do they even bother with anything other than sports? Bet if they had NASCAR in the afternoon followed by a football game and NASCAR ran late they would be in a quandary. Do we up set the NASCAR fans by cutting away or the football fans by staying with the race.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#6 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Is there any local CBS affiliate news on Sunday night?

Last night was a somewhat unusual situation, in that the game didn't just go into overtime, it went extremely far into overtime, so it lasted past 8:00 Eastern.

When football goes that long, CBS gives up entirely on one of their four Sunday night shows -- as you may have discovered when you checked your manual recording. The game announcers did start mentioning every few minutes, beginning around 7:55, that "Cold Case" would not be seen. I think what ended up happening was "60 Minutes" at 8:15, "Amazing Race" at 9:15, "Three Rivers" at 10:15, and local news at 11:15. (Subtract an hour from those times for Texas. Here on the West Coast, everything aired at its regularly scheduled time. I assume they had a "Cold Case" rerun at 10:00.)

It seems that the schedulers, after all these years still don't have a handle on how long a sports event will take.

Oh, they have a general idea -- this isn't much of an issue with Fox these days, because they run a postgame show and/or reruns up until 8:00. However, CBS likes the situation the way it is -- they really do get bigger ratings for their Sunday night programming when it gets pushed back due to football, despite the effect it has on DVRs. (The general CBS audience is somewhat less likely to have DVRs than the audience for the other networks.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#7 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thi s at least explains Jeno's headlines, jwalking, etc at the end of the show.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#8 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

I never could figure that out, why not just air the "shows already in progress" if football runs over or just drop the earliest shows (60 minutes, then Amazing race) and then just show them at 2:00 a.m. when the infomercials run?

#9 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Is there any local CBS affiliate news on Sunday night?

In most larger markets there is.

#10 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Last night was a somewhat unusual situation, in that the game didn't just go into overtime, it went extremely far into overtime, so it lasted past 8:00 Eastern.

When football goes that long, CBS gives up entirely on one of their four Sunday night shows -- as you may have discovered when you checked your manual recording. The game announcers did start mentioning every few minutes, beginning around 7:55, that "Cold Case" would not be seen. I think what ended up happening was "60 Minutes" at 8:15, "Amazing Race" at 9:15, "Three Rivers" at 10:15, and local news at 11:15. (Subtract an hour from those times for Texas. Here on the West Coast, everything aired at its regularly scheduled time. I assume they had a "Cold Case" rerun at 10:00.)

Since I no longer watch football I will never hear the announcements during a game. I did watch it in the olden times when a 1 hour game lasted maybe 2 hours including half time, team time outs and a few commercial time outs, and no overtimes. There was a winner, a loser or a draw the way the game was intended :D. But it's not just football. Every sport CBS carries has at one time or another gone over the scheduled time. Of course, football and basketball are the worst.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

Yep, "Cold Case" was a rerun out here.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

I never could figure that out, why not just air the "shows already in progress" if football runs over or just drop the earliest shows (60 minutes, then Amazing race) and then just show them at 2:00 a.m. when the infomercials run?

I never understood why they don't just cut the game off at the scheduled time, whether it's over or not. After a few of those, the players, coaches and refs would get the hint and not waste so much time goofing around. As I recall, a football game has 4 15 minute periods, so why does it take 2 or 3 hours to get it over with? Hockey and basketball have time specific periods also, right? Baseball might be a little tougher to control time, but they could end all games at no more than 10 innings. If it's a tie, so be it.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

The overrun presents an interesting problem for CBS. And I think they solve the problem backwards. They should let the affiliates have all the programming. The West/Mountain can show it all, and East/Central affiliates can choose to show what they want that night and the remainder shown next Saturday instead of a rerun of "CSI-NY" and two "48-Hour" with no money or ratings credits going to CBS for Saturday.

If it ends up too costly for CBS, they'll just have to eliminate their Sunday night schedule except for football and "60 Minutes" and "The Amazing Race." They could cut "Three Rivers" and "Cold Case" to 13 episodes in the Winter.

My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

I never understood why they don't just cut the game off at the scheduled time, whether it's over or not. After a few of those, the players, coaches and refs would get the hint and not waste so much time goofing around. As I recall, a football game has 4 15 minute periods, so why does it take 2 or 3 hours to get it over with? Hockey and basketball have time specific periods also, right? Baseball might be a little tougher to control time, but they could end all games at no more than 10 innings. If it's a tie, so be it.

Because more people watch this than the garbage they put on after it.

#15 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

Because more people watch this than the garbage they put on after it.

Just no accounting for taste, is there? There are some of us who think the garbage comes on first. It's all a matter of taste. I used to watch football. I no longer care for it for a number of reasons. Taking 4 plus hours to play out a one hour game is part of it.

#16 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,078 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

They should let the affiliates have all the programming. The West/Mountain can show it all, and East/Central affiliates can choose to show what they want that night and the remainder shown next Saturday instead of a rerun of "CSI-NY" and two "48-Hour" with no money or ratings credits going to CBS for Saturday.

No way would I want the idiots that run our CBS affiliate to control this. They think DD2.0 is great sound.:confused:

Yesterday, our affiliate started with the Pats/Titans until it became a blowout. Then they switched to Bills/Jets which went into OT. I actually won't complain since our affiliate actually showed a game without the Bengals, Browns, Steelers or Redskins playing in it.

As for the Sunday night lineup issue, I plan ahead with my recordings and each is padded 1.5 hours. That seemed a little extreme until last night.

#17 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

The next step in NBC's slide into being a netlet will be CBS and ABC geting affiliate swaps in those markets.

Any chance WSAZ defects anytime soon? I assume they still dominate the newscast ratings in the Huntington/Charleston market. As their ads used to say "more viewers than all other local newscasts combined".

#18 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

Any chance WSAZ defects anytime soon? I assume they still dominate the newscast ratings in the Huntington/Charleston market. As their ads used to say "more viewers than all other local newscasts combined".

IMHO, yes. WSAZ is a first class operation, by the standards of a midsized market, and it is not going to put up with Leno killing its ultra-profitable news operation with a weak lead-in. Further of the 28 main stations new WSAZ owner Gray owns, 16 are CBS, including in the adjoining Lexington market. Still further, WSAZ's largest area of dominance is the part of the market in Kentucky, and CBS reuped with the SEC for 10 years.

It would not surprise me at all.

#19 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

I understand AND I'm ticked.

I understand when play is stopped for nearly 20 minutes because of a player not moving on the field (saw this a couple of weeks ago - injury looked real bad).

HOWEVER - taking this week as an example... When the Patriots game was over, just after 7pm, I was expecting them to start 60 minutes - but NO - they cut to the Giants game which still had a lot of time left. So, I padded my "Amazing Race" timer some more. Then they kept playing - AND it went into overtime - until after 8pm!

This is great for the Giants fans, they get to see their game and that's what the contract with CBS calls for. But us up here in New England? If we wanted to see that for THAT long we would probably have the Sunday Ticket package!

I had a 2-hour time for Amazing Race that only got 40 minutes because 60 Minutes was pushed back OVER an hour!

#20 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

The overrun presents an interesting problem for CBS.

As I said earlier...

However, CBS likes the situation the way it is -- they really do get bigger ratings for their Sunday night programming when it gets pushed back due to football, despite the effect it has on DVRs. (The general CBS audience is somewhat less likely to have DVRs than the audience for the other networks.)

...the football overruns are not a problem as far as CBS is concerned.

The affiliates may grumble a little bit when their local news gets pushed back, but they get over it when they see the ratings.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...