Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Affiliates - we want more

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

I understand AND I'm ticked.

I understand when play is stopped for nearly 20 minutes because of a player not moving on the field (saw this a couple of weeks ago - injury looked real bad).

HOWEVER - taking this week as an example... When the Patriots game was over, just after 7pm, I was expecting them to start 60 minutes - but NO - they cut to the Giants game which still had a lot of time left. So, I padded my "Amazing Race" timer some more. Then they kept playing - AND it went into overtime - until after 8pm!

This is great for the Giants fans, they get to see their game and that's what the contract with CBS calls for. But us up here in New England? If we wanted to see that for THAT long we would probably have the Sunday Ticket package!

I had a 2-hour time for Amazing Race that only got 40 minutes because 60 Minutes was pushed back OVER an hour!

As I understand it, when CBS has a doubleheader, the network waits until the last game is over (until all late games are over) before starting the evening's programs. Then the eastern half of the country gets the shows fed at the same time.

When CBS airs only one game, early or late, those markets whose game runs past 7 PM get the lineup pushed back. Those markets where the game ends on time (or who had the early game) do not join the overrun, and get 60 Minutes at 7 ET.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sorentodd45

sorentodd45

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

What I don't understand is that if you are already home to "pad" Amazing Race (or Cold Case), then why not just watch the program "live"?

Just note what time 60 Minutes starts and then do the math (adding 1, 2, or 3 hours) after that.

If I lived back east (which I don't), and I was also trying to get Housewives and Bros and Sisters (which I don't watch), then I would just set my DVR to record ABC, since I know those shows will always start on time.

#23 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

What I don't understand is that if you are already home to "pad" Amazing Race (or Cold Case), then why not just watch the program "live"?

Just note what time 60 Minutes starts and then do the math (adding 1, 2, or 3 hours) after that.

If I lived back east (which I don't), and I was also trying to get Housewives and Bros and Sisters (which I don't watch), then I would just set my DVR to record ABC, since I know those shows will always start on time.

I don't watch "live" anymore if I can help it. Too many commercials.

#24 OFFLINE   Mokanic

Mokanic

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

I don't watch the spoiled brats run after the pigskin anymore.

The only CBS show that I watch on Sunday night is Cold Case. I know every other week it is going to be late. This has become the rule rather than the exception. I try to glance at the other CBS shows and see how much padding to add to the timer. If you have to get up at 0400 on Monday morning, you don't stay up to watch the Sunday night shows.

CBS should put pressure on the NFL to figure out a way to shorten the games or some other solution with programming. One show could be "disposable" (repeat) for that week and this could be rotated among the three shows until Fball season is over. Or this may be one less timer I have to worry about padding or setting, for that matter.

Kind of the same thing happened on Monday evening on Fox with House. But, that is a rare occurence with them. I happen to begin watching it at 2017 and saw baseball was still on. So, I just set a 2.5 hour timer and watched something else.

David

#25 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Re: Why didn't I pad TAR more? I saw how much time there was in the NY game and figured CBS wouldn't go past 8pm with football - so I changed the 30-minute pad to an hour. Then, while waiting for what I THOUGHT would be 60 Minutes to finish up, my fiancee and I watched last week's TAR (which she'd missed). By the time I came back from that and discovered what had happened, it was too late. My choice was to watch the 40 minutes of TAR that DID record, or wait until I could get the whole episode from Usenet. I chose the latter.

#26 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

CBS should put pressure on the NFL to figure out a way to shorten the games...

They already put pressure on the NFL a couple of contract renewals ago to lengthen the games, by allowing for more commercial time. That's why, for example, the second games now start at 4:15 instead of 4:00 -- because the first games are longer due to added commercials.

The NFL doesn't allow the networks to sell in-game sponsorship announcements the way other sports do (notice that you'll never hear about "the State Farm starting lineup" or "the Chevy player of the game" during an NFL broadcast), hence the desire for more commercial time.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...