Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blackout Restriction Questions For NFL Games

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:09 AM

Looking further into the blackout restrictions I was curious why I have never been blacked out from a game and am also curious to see some others results. Here are the 5 closest stadiums to me from my address using mapquest.

1. Kansas City Chiefs - 186 Miles away/Never blacked out
2. St. Louis Rams - 313 miles away/Never blacked out
3. Dallas Cowboys - 344 miles away/Never blacked out
4. Tennessee Titans - 528 miles away/Never blacked out
5. Houston Texans - 575 miles away/Never blacked out

Someone had said in another post that the restriction was within 75 miles of the stadium but Im not really sure thats true. According to D*'s NFL blackout policy it to me reads that if you can get the signal of the local affiliate airing that game in that area. To me that means if in Miami, OK I can get the signal from the CBS affiliate in KC then it would be blocked. How close are you to the stadiums and how frequent are you blacked out from those games?

Edited by joshjr, 19 October 2009 - 08:01 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

No one has a response? Come on NFL fans.

#3 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What on this planet and by reading the incessant screaming about blackouts in these threads led you to believe for one minute that anyone here or even at the NFL can explain the incredibly fan hostile blackout rules?
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What on this planet and by reading the incessant screaming about blackouts in these threads led you to believe for one minute that anyone here or even at the NFL can explain the incredibly fan hostile blackout rules?

Im more interested in how close people are to the stadiums and if they experience any blackouts or not on ST.

#5 ONLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

I used to live 110 mi from Sun Devil Stadium(Cardinals) but games were always blacked out because the locals all came from Phoenix. I think the 75mi radius applies to the broadcast towers, not individual viewers. For example, if the Patriots were blacked out, not only the Boston stations not be able to show the game, but stations in Rhode Island and E. Connecticut probably would be blackout too.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

I used to live 110 mi from Sun Devil Stadium(Cardinals) but games were always blacked out because the locals all came from Phoenix. I think the 75mi radius applies to the broadcast towers, not individual viewers. For example, if the Patriots were blacked out, not only the Boston stations not be able to show the game, but stations in Rhode Island and E. Connecticut probably would be blackout too.

See thats why I am asking other people's scenarios. Joplin/Pittsburg is my local DMA and they carry the Chiefs every Sunday on CBS and the Rams on Fox but I never have a game blacked out. Not that I am complaining but they are a little ways away from me to.

#7 OFFLINE   billmarc

billmarc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

I get the Chicago locals. Whatever game is on WBBM (CBS) and/or WFLD (FOX), that is blacked out on ST for me.

#8 OFFLINE   billmarc

billmarc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

Furthermore, if the game is sold out, there will be no blackout on the local OTA station.

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Furthermore, if the game is sold out, there will be no blackout on the local OTA station.

How far is it from your house to the bears stadium?

#10 OFFLINE   billmarc

billmarc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

About eighty miles, give or take a few...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...