Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What should have NE Patriots done yesterday?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

During my morning drive to work, I was seriously irritated by the discussions and comments by some people upset that New England Patriots ran up the score.

What should have NE done? Taken three knees and punted the ball?
Should they have run-run-run in some of worst running weather?

Should their WR have caught the ball and immediately gone down on one knee?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

No, No, and No. Get over it people!!!

It's not the Patriots fault that the other team didn't show up to play.

On a related note, could this be Jeff Fisher's last season at Tennessee?

Edited by redsoxfan26, 19 October 2009 - 08:52 AM.
typo

#3 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

First off, I am not a Patriots Fan. But I respect them. And they did not run up the score.

Personally, the only thing that the Patriots did wrong was start Tom Brady in the Second half.

As the second poster noted, as well as the announcers, it's not the Pat's fault that the Titans didn't show up for the game.

Although it sounds weird, I think going for it on 4th downs was fine, because they were not kicking field goals, and giving those pathetic Titans another opportunity to figure out what was wrong with their Defense.

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

During my morning drive to work, I was seriously irritated by the discussions and comments by some people upset that New England Patriots ran up the score.

What should have NE done? Taken three knees and punted the ball?
Should they have run-run-run in some of worst running weather?

Should their WR have caught the ball and immediately gone down on one knee?

Yes - they should take 4 knees every down starting from the 3rd quarter. Maybe the NFL should make a rule that the Patriots can't have the ball back in the 2nd half and still the same people will be bitching about something. Maybe the teams can switch players in the 2nd half. It really is a stupid argument. People bitch and moan over anything.

Running up the score would be kicking field goals when in range. They didn't do that because they didn't run up the score. They went for it on 4th down because it is a business and a league of adults. Oh, and people in the stands actually pay to watch 4 quarters of football -- go figure. And it's real simple -- the object of a defense is to stop the offense. Enough with the sympathy BS these guys are multi-millionaires and one side of the football just took an ass beating. Sometimes it's good to take a beating because the future can be measured more clearly and it creates a setting where everybody's job is in jeopardy. Tenn is in a place where they needed a butt whipping.

I wish it was the Redskins who took that whipping because upper management would get off their ass and fire some people. For instance if everybody knows Jim Zorn will be fired -- why not just do it. Start doing something now -- why wait?? Waiting just prolongs the problem. Believe it or not -- still long season to go, but nooo we will wait and see! Yeah - if the skins took that whipping that NE doled out yesterday we would have a whole different upper management team in place TODAY. Can we impeach NFL owners?

But no -- lets bring in a another moron, I mean consultant. And no let's not fire Jim Zorn and help him out, let's emasculate him by taking away his play calling duties. Last I checked he initially was supposed to be the off coordinator calling the plays before our brilliant owner appointed a quarterback's coach over Greg Williams, who incidentally is doing very well in New Orleans. So my question is, what is Jim Zorn doing here? They've taken every power away from him -- so why not Just DO IT NIKE! Fire him and the GM. I know I jumped off topic -- sorry just a little Monday morning quarterbacking on my part with a smidgen of anger.

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

+1, Mark. +1.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

First off, I am not a Patriots Fan. But I respect them. And they did not run up the score.

Personally, the only thing that the Patriots did wrong was start Tom Brady in the Second half.

I agree with Brady's knee issues and the snow on the ground I thought it was a risk to bring him back in for the 2nd half. One wrong move his knee goes one way and body the other...season could have been over.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I agree that taking a knee repeatedly is silly and meaningless.

That said, Belichick has a reputation for being a bit of a creep...so maybe Fisher should have simply sent someone over there to tackle HIM....and have the team thrown out to end the game at that point....:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

If they really wanted to run up the score, Bill could have kept the starting unit in. Even if he did, Who cares? It's professional football, not the Pee-Wee league. Give me a break:rolleyes:
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

It's professional football, not the Pee-Wee league.

Unless we're talking about the Lions, Rams, Raiders,....:D

(...and yes, the Bears too....had to get that dig in....:lol:)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Previously I have faulted Belichick for recklessly running up scores. But this time he pulled Brady. (Perhaps it could be argued that he was a bit late, minor detail.)

I don't know about all the other substitutions he made, but my hope is he rotated more players in. Gave others chances to develop, play in different combinations. That might reduce a runaway, but more importantly develops the whole team for the future. And has the appearance of not trying to run up the score.

So I don't think I have any problems with their actions this time.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

I only have favorite teams in baseball and college basketball. So the Patriots are not my favorite team, don't have a favorite football team.

The reason Brady was not pulled sooner, is to keep the routine, especially because he had been hurt. It was important for him to have to come out after the half and be able to continue at a high level, just as will have to do in most games.

As for running up the score..... BS. For those who are babies, lets turn this around. Why didn't the Titans try harder? Why didn't the Titans, at the half, tell the Patriots they give up and to stop the game? Just as idiotic as blaming the Patriots...... This is professional football for god's sake......

Edited by tampa8, 19 October 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

I am one who is "generally" opposed to "running up the score".... However, a high scoring game isn't the same thing as running up the score. If you've got your starter in up 50+ points and you try a flea flicker with 2 minutes to go in the game, I take issue with that. If you're playing reserves, calling running plays or short passing plays, and you still put together drives that result in points, that's just life. If you put in your reserves and shift to a more conservative game plan, you've given the other team EXTRA opportunities to stop you. If they STILL can't stop you, there's not much more you can do.

The game still has to be played - you can't take 3 knees and punt for half a game.

As far as yesterdays' game, specifically.... I didnt' see the game, but I glanced at the box score. They only scored twice in the last 30 minutes of the game. They still had 30 carries against 45 passes. Those stats, to me, don't look like a team trying to run up the score and embarass the other team. They look like stats of a team that got ahead big and then let up in the last half of the game - and the Titans still couldn't stop them.

So, in short.... I don't see anything wrong with yesterday's game. I don't like the Patriots, but I don't think they did anything wrong against the Titans.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#13 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

No, No, and No. Get over it people!!!

It's not the Patriots fault that the other team didn't show up to play.

On a related note, could this be Jeff Fisher's last season at Tennessee?

Absolutely not! Jeff Fisher is not the problem! I also don't think the Pats ran up the score (even though I despise that team) but they did nothing wrong, except for starting Brady in the second half. If I remember correctly they were accused of running up scores in there 16-0 seasons as well. I think they were unfairly accused then too because no game is given in the NFL and opposing teams have come back from huge deficits to win.

#14 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

Both teams New England and Tennessee were playing under the same conditions. Tennessee may not be use to playing in the snow but both teams are on the same field with the same exact conditions. Let me ask you this. What should New England have done when they got the ball? Roll over and play dead, Not play football and just toss the ball around? Hell No. It wasn't their fault that Tennessee didn't show up to play ball. Tennessee just isn't playing this year. Maybe it's the loss of Albert Haynesworth maybe not but New England shouldn't have just stopped playing football just because Tennessee didn't give a good effort. It's a football game and there are no mercy rules in football.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

I really wish people would stop with the complaints about "running up the score"... even IF New England did try to embarrass them, I'd be ok with that. Play the game and stop the opponent and don't whine about it.

That said... It sure looked to me like New England did stop trying to score, because it was 45-0 at halftime and they only got 14 pts in the 2nd half... so I'd say they did try not to run up the score... because they were on pace for nearly 100 if they kept going.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#16 ONLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,590 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

You did not hear me complain last season when the the Pats put a 47-7 whooping on my Cards. It was 31-0 Pats at the half and the same game conditions.

#17 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Formerly AirRocker

• Moderators
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

Being a Titans fan, that was hard to watch. But I have to say, Titans deserved it. They definitely didn't show up. Maybe this will smack some sense into them. I don't think the Pats did anything wrong. As a matter of fact, if I were Belichick, I would have thrown the red on that (missed) safety call on Vince Young... just on general principle.

Will it be Fischer's last season? I don't think so. But he needs to get his act together. Last year's fluke isn't going to repeat itself. Start Young and see what he can do with a manageable game. Don't throw him in there already down six or seven touchdowns.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

I don't know how to fix the Titans... but I know it started with the defense letting them down... Several early games this season might have been wins if the defense showed up.

Now, I think pressure is on the offense because they know they can't rely on defense... so now Collins & co are making poor decisions on offense to try and get ahead of the curve for when they are planning for their defense to let them down.

All that culminates in a (literal) perfect storm scenario where they are truly embarrassed.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#19 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

I don't know about all the other substitutions he made, but my hope is he rotated more players in. Gave others chances to develop, play in different combinations. That might reduce a runaway, but more importantly develops the whole team for the future. And has the appearance of not trying to run up the score.

So I don't think I have any problems with their actions this time.

Cheers,
Tom

THis happens in college football as well. When you put the 2nd and third string guys in there, they want to play and they want to score! If the defense is playing so poorly, they can't stop a high school team, they sure are not going to be able to stop guys who were probably standout performers at the previous level.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

spam firewall