Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dancing with the Stars Season 9 Week 5: OAD 10/19/09

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should leave Dancing with the Stars tonight? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should leave Dancing with the Stars tonight?

1. Aaron Carter and Karina Smirnoff (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Natalie Coughlin and Alec Mazo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Mark Dacascos and Lacey Schwimmer (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Melissa Joan Hart and Mark Ballas (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Michael Irvin and Anna Demidova (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

6. Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Mýa and Dmitry Chaplin (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

10. Louie Vito and Chelsie Hightower (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

Friends, I infer from comments on last night's show that much of the crew was as sick as the choreographers. I suppose that means that I should be a big softie like the judges were last night, and forgive uninspiring camerawork, poor pacing, wrong notes, missed cues, and easily the worst audio mix I've heard in some time.

Let it be known that I've been sick the last week or so as well, and the expectations on me are as strong as ever. I shall attempt to be more generous than those who judge me... if only a little.

Apparently this is the halfway point of the season, and there will be several double eliminations to come in order to thin the ranks. So, with ten dancers and five weeks left, let's jump in.

The Paso Doble: Only four couples performed the emotionally charged paso, with varying degrees of success. The judges were effusive in their praise for all four, although I was a bit less impressed. I can't give high marks to any of the dancers, really; I thought that while Mr. Irvin finally found a dance that lets his own character shine through, none of the other dancers captured the spirit of the dance. Mr. Dacascos was the best of the lot, but I didn't think he looked masculine enough.

The Argentine Tango: The standout performance of the night belonged, as always, to Mýa, who simply "gets it." She was sharp and dramatic and precise. In general the other dancers lacked precision and punch, and while Mr. Carter was much improved, he still manages to look like a mix of Matt Frewer and John Cleese on the dance floor. (If you're under 40, look those names up.)

Special credit this week goes to Ms. Krupa who performed fairly well despite having to learn all the choreography twice. It's always nice to see Mr. Chmerkovskiy and he certainly did his best to bring it last night.

The judges' scores should be enough to save fan favorites Mr. Osmond and Mýa, but otherwise it seems anyone could leave. Take a look at the scores:

Dancers | Score
Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson | 29
Mýa and Dmitry Chaplin | 27
Mark Dacascos and Lacey Schwimmer | 26
Aaron Carter and Karina Smirnoff | 24
Joanna Krupa and Maksim Chmerkovskiy | 24
Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel | 24
Melissa Joan Hart and Mark Ballas | 23
Natalie Coughlin and Alec Mazo | 22
Louie Vito and Chelsie Hightower | 22
Michael Irvin and Anna Demidova | 21

As for the group dance, at least none of the celebrities wandered off in the wrong direction or looked bizarrely uncomfortable. The dance is a simple one and while the group stayed within the basic choreography it was passable. I did think some of the tricks looked a bit painful to execute.

If this review strikes you as a bit short, friends, remember what your mother told you... if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

My problem with the Paso is that even moreso than the other dances, that for the dance to feel "right" to viewers, it needs to have the right music to go with it. The couple can perform a good dance, but with crappy music, which at least one couple had this week, it just does not click.

Even Len at one point commented psotively on the Music (not on the way they danced to teh music, but the actual selection) for one of the dances last night. Since the music is not selected by the dancers, why should that factor into anything at all.

Then they had Sharon, I mean Kelly, dancing to Crazy Train last night and it certainly put more pressure on her (which she handled well) and could give her an advantage with the audience since she did well.

At any rate, the music selections are too varied and can influence the audience too much IMO.

Also, what the heck was up with Samantha's hair? Were they trying to keep it in tune with the Hustle section?

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Samantha's had her hair like that once or twice a season, IIRC, but they could have been influenced by disco night. :D

Actually, this is the first night that I have enjoyed watching all the dances. Louie still should leave, but even he seemed to have tried harder. Yep, he still walks and thinks he's dancing, but his effort was clear based on last week's absolute non-dance and his wasn't the only one last week. Everyone seemed to have worked much harder this week (and I felt the choreography was much harder in many cases) and it showed, though not as much as the scores indicated. I'm with you there, Stuart.

Mya is still the one to beat for me--lyrical, balanced, and well-executed everytime, but several others have made big strides. We'll just have to see if they can continue to improve to make it a race.

Often, Lee, I'm in total agreement about the music. I feel they just want to please all of the people some of the time with their choices. The music which drew the comment from Len last night did go particularly well with the dance style. I know they played one piece from the opera, "Carmen" by Bizet. I'm just not sure right now if that's the selection on which Len commented. They are consistent though with some fitting, and some being terrible. :D

#4 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Louie deserves to go. He's the only guy I know of who can walk and dance at the same time.

The music - like last night's production - sucked.

Joanna done good, stumbles and all.

Samantha looked like she stuck her finger in an electrical outlet.

Gee, Dereck, do you think you could have been a little more possessive of Joanna? I mean, Maks did dance with her, you know?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#5 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

[Gee, Dereck, do you think you could have been a little more possessive of Joanna? I mean, Maks did dance with her, you know?

Well, given that Maks and Karina broke off their engagement, perhaps there is more to it than just dancing! :eek2: :D

#6 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

OK so I finally sat through an episode and focused on it, granted it was two weeks ago not this weeks; I fell asleep during this weeks that's how not focused on this show I am this season. I don't know what country and western bar these ladies have been going to but none of them choreographed anything close to what a two step is. Music as always has been a problem for me, but I'm not going to beat that dead horse any more.

As to who went home:

Spoiler

Ratings are what counts and I guess having someone of lesser talent, aka Michael Irvin or snowboard kid, stay over someone who clearly has a little talent, aka last nights evictee, is what keeps ratings up.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

Well, given that Maks and Karina broke off their engagement, perhaps there is more to it than just dancing! :eek2: :D

:lol:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

OK so I finally sat through an episode and focused on it, granted it was two weeks ago not this weeks; I fell asleep during this weeks that's how not focused on this show I am this season. I don't know what country and western bar these ladies have been going to but none of them choreographed anything close to what a two step is. Music as always has been a problem for me, but I'm not going to beat that dead horse any more.

As to who went home:

Spoiler

Ratings are what counts and I guess having someone of lesser talent, aka Michael Irvin or snowboard kid, stay over someone who clearly has a little talent, aka last nights evictee, is what keeps ratings up.

You're absolutely right.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

I think the issue is just that most contestants have such a small fan base that you're going to have random eliminations like this.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

I think the issue is just that most contestants have such a small fan base that you're going to have random eliminations like this.

The evictee has a smaller fan base than snowboard kid? How many snowboarding fans do you think watch the show? How many rodeo fans watched last year? I guess more than one would think but still, this shows, to me anyway, a flaw in the scoring system. Doesn't it? Talent loses out over popular vote?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

[...] Talent loses out over popular vote?

Talent predominantly loses out to popularity. Think Kris vs Adam, or Jeanine vs Brando or even Shawn vs Gilles. It comes from getting the public involved and it will always be a sore spot to those of us who appreciate talent.

I think Stuart is also right. Too many contestants for us to sift through.

Edited by Henry, 22 October 2009 - 01:51 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

The evictee has a smaller fan base than snowboard kid? How many snowboarding fans do you think watch the show? How many rodeo fans watched last year? I guess more than one would think but still, this shows, to me anyway, a flaw in the scoring system. Doesn't it? Talent loses out over popular vote?

I bet snowboard kid has more fans willing to text a vote than the swimmer though.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#13 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

I bet snowboard kid has more fans willing to text a vote than the swimmer though.

There's the operative word right there.

#14 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yes, a real shame to see her go, as I agree that she was really doing a good job and improving each week. The judges bear much of the blame too, as her score from them should have been higher, which might have kept her safe (I kind of doubt it though).

Unfortunately, this happens each season. I wish this could be the only time this season, but I'm sure it won't be.

#15 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

They need to change the voting from voting for someone to voting against someone. The audience should vote for who they think should go home. Most people can more easily agree who was the worst, than who is the best.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...