Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A D- for customer service yesterday (Versus)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

... they're getting impatient at DirectV over this VS issue...

I called to complain about verus and asked some specific details of why the channel was being removed. (old story, I know). But, I asked if it was true that versus was being offered to DirecTV at the same price as before, on the same tier. I just go the company line that Comcast is asking for unreasonable rates. Didn't answer my question. So I pressed on asking to speak to someone else. I was offered the sports pack for $10 off a month. I declined and asked to speak to someone AGAIN with more knowledge on the subject.

"I don't know why you would do that since they would just tell you the same thing. I've been getting calls like this all day. Don't you people have anything better to do?"

I said I'd let DirecTV know how unprofessionally she handled this call and hung up.

What a dunce. That was handled very poorly. I just wanted a simple question answered:
"What is the cost per subscriber that VS is offering directv on the tier it used to be on?"

Which begs the question: Is DirecTV engaged in a deceptive campaign about retiering and costs?

Feel free to tuck this in the VS thread, but this is customer service related too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

Sounds like you were trying to get a rise out of the CSR...whats the point of that?

J

#3 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

... they're getting impatient at DirectV over this VS issue...

I called to complain about verus and asked some specific details of why the channel was being removed. (old story, I know). But, I asked if it was true that versus was being offered to DirecTV at the same price as before, on the same tier. I just go the company line that Comcast is asking for unreasonable rates. Didn't answer my question. So I pressed on asking to speak to someone else. I was offered the sports pack for $10 off a month. I declined and asked to speak to someone AGAIN with more knowledge on the subject.

"I don't know why you would do that since they would just tell you the same thing. I've been getting calls like this all day. Don't you people have anything better to do?"

I said I'd let DirecTV know how unprofessionally she handled this call and hung up.

What a dunce. That was handled very poorly. I just wanted a simple question answered:
"What is the cost per subscriber that VS is offering directv on the tier it used to be on?"

Which begs the question: Is DirecTV engaged in a deceptive campaign about retiering and costs?

Feel free to tuck this in the VS thread, but this is customer service related too.

Not trying to flame you, but...really? Seriously? Did you call a first-line CSR with this complaint? If so...I think they handled it just fine. They would have no knowledge concerning what you were asking them. You were wasting their time trying to get them to answer something that has no chance of being able to be answered by a front-line CSR. Not their job to answer a question like that. That's a question that can only be answered way up the corporate ladder...and as a subscriber you have no right to that information...unless you are also an investor in the company.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

While this wasn't handled "well", I can see the CSR's view. They don't have the answer, nor know who to send you to for it, yet you wanted to keep pushing it.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'm not sure why you'd expect a front line CSRs to be involved in or have knowledge of contract negotiations. No matter how many times you "transfer up", it's unlikely you'd reach someone with that information.

Edited by Greg Alsobrook, 20 October 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

I have to agree. The CSR didn't handle it well but you were pushing for information that I wouldn't expect them to have and don't expect that they had anyone they could transfer you to to get that information. The best you will get out of a CSR is a canned corp response that they had already given you. Anything other than that is just rumor anyways.

#7 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Again, you already know the answer to why Versus isn't there. You knew that before the call. But you were not seeking an answer, you were seeking a confrontation with a front-line employee.

Now think about the customer that got that CSR after you did: the customer with a real question. Do you think that customer was better served after your tirade?

DirecTV has no obligation whatsoever to tell you the details of a contract negotiation. If you feel Comcast has no history of playing hardball with companies, you have failed to do any research. CSRs do not get paid to be contractual consultants. Your expectation that they fill that role is obnoxious and unproductive. I argue that pointless calls to CSRs drives up the cost for all subscribers.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

As far as I know there is no way for a CSR to actually route you to the CEO or anyone on the legal team.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

This is a classic example of a person who's rating Customer Service poorly, for something that the OP new the answer to, and just kept pressing some low paid CSR for information they will never have access to.

It's amazing what CSR's have to go through with some customers... and it's no wonder that they all probably answer the phone waiting for a confrontation, since that's what it seems to always turn into for them.

SHeesh, guys... if you're going to call the CSR's do it for a valid reason!
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#10 OFFLINE   nucat95

nucat95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:13 AM

I give the OP a D- for the way he treated the CSR, but I also give the CSR a B+ for the way she handled it. I can understand why there is such a high turnover rate for CSR's if they spend their time handling these types of call.

#11 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Wow, somebody make a note, freeze this thread and sticky it. That is how many defend the poor CSR in a row posts?

BTW - Add me to the defend the CSR role. I would have been much less pleasant, which is why I work "in the back of the shop".

#12 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

"Don't you people have anything better to do?"

Given that the OP knew the answer already and the CSR is in no position to answer it any differently then they did, the CSR quote (above) seems perfectly reasonable to me.
My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#13 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

it was a 2nd line CSR and no, I don't get my rocks off making people angry. I asked a simple question. If the CSR doesn't know the answer, she should have referred me to someone who does.

#14 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

it was a 2nd line CSR and no, I don't get my rocks off making people angry. I asked a simple question. If the CSR doesn't know the answer, she should have referred me to someone who does.

But you called in already knowing the answer...you even said "old story, I know"....like I said it just sounds like you were looking to tick someone off for no reason.

J

#15 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:42 AM

While this wasn't handled "well", I can see the CSR's view. They don't have the answer, nor know who to send you to for it, yet you wanted to keep pushing it.

I happen to agree however there should be set procedures for how to handle calls like this. The front line CSR should not have to deal with it and that is why they should route the call to their supervisor, and perhaps they in turn will need route it to theirs , and so on. Eventually it will get to someone who has the responsibility and authority to deal with the question (most likely with the same results).
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#16 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

But you called in already knowing the answer...you even said "old story, I know"....like I said it just sounds like you were looking to tick someone off for no reason.

J

Ok, I'll refrain from making further posts here. Nice to see you all make judgments without all of the information or any idea of who I am. A simple "she doesn't have the information and you should have called another level" would suffice.

Great replies. Nice. thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

The information is at www.DIRECTV.com/versus....what other information were you looking for? Did you think that by asking for supervisors that they were going to tell you something that has not been released to the public? Doubt it...

J

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

I happen to agree however there should be set procedures for how to handle calls like this. The front line CSR should not have to deal with it and that is why they should route the call to their supervisor, and perhaps they in turn will need route it to theirs , and so on. Eventually it will get to someone who has the responsibility and authority to deal with the question (most likely with the same results).

"The old line was" to write to DirecTV at xxxx when I wanted an answer they couldn't give.
I have [some] respect for these CSRs as they're doing a job I simply couldn't do myself. [I doubt I could last a day with the idiot customer's calls]
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,181 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

I give the OP an 'F' for browbeating the defenseless CSR.

It's people like that that give the rest of us a bad rap. I am always kind to CSRs -- at the very least, decent. After all, they're only human and do a tough job for modest pay. I couldn't put up with the crap I imagine the typical CSR up with must put.

BTW, I get Vs HD via Comcast. :D

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Ok, I'll refrain from making further posts here. Nice to see you all make judgments without all of the information or any idea of who I am. A simple "she doesn't have the information and you should have called another level" would suffice.

Great replies. Nice. thanks.

Regardless if the CSR knew the answer or not, they could be terminated for giving you said info. As mentioned above, unless you're a shareholder, you're not privy to that info. And if you are a shareholder, you'd already know whom to ask.

spam firewall