Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Dish Network Ad touts 2x guide speed performance compared to DirecTV receivers

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

I just saw (but didn't hear) an ad for Dish Network that aired on FNC touting their service.

One of the things that they knocked about DirecTV was the slow guide performance, presumably of the HR-series of receivers. It touted that you could browse through the Dish VIP guide twice as fast as DirecTV's receiver, complete with a side-by-side pic comparing the speeds.

My first thought was, “Wow, that DirecTV guide is actually faster than mine!

And second, “Now that the competition is slamming your hardware in adverts, maybe it's time to fix the problem, guys.”

The guide performance of SD and non-DVR HD receivers is great, but I still get constant complaints about the DVR's slow guide and performance. Maybe now that Dish is poking fun at this 'feature' something will get done?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

I just saw (but didn't hear) an ad for Dish Network that aired on FNC touting their service.

One of the things that they knocked about DirecTV was the slow guide performance, presumably of the HR-series of receivers. It touted that you could browse through the Dish VIP guide twice as fast as DirecTV's receiver, complete with a side-by-side pic comparing the speeds.

My first thought was, “Wow, that DirecTV guide is actually faster than mine!

And second, “Now that the competition is slamming your hardware in adverts, maybe it's time to fix the problem, guys.”

The guide performance of SD and non-DVR HD receivers is great, but I still get constant complaints about the DVR's slow guide and performance. Maybe now that Dish is poking fun at this 'feature' something will get done?

dose the dish boxes have all stuff in background that direct tv boxes do?

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

Yup, because one thing that will make me choose one provider over another is the guide speed. ??? Good marketing tool, I guess, and yes it would be nicer if the DirecTV guide could be faster, but that's one of the things you're hanging your hat on??? Almost sounds like scraping the bottom of the barrel to me, but I haven't seen the ad, so I could be missing something.

#4 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

Seems pretty good to me. The guide is the face of Directv like it or not to any user. Thats why the tornado logo takes up soo much room even though it would be better for the user to not have it at all and have more room for information or a bigger window for tv ect.
We all see it everyday. It represents all the good things that are better then cable. Most cable company's are dismal on this. Turn to channel whatever and wait to see it or on a really slow digital cable box press and wait, wait, and wait. Hold on is that not what we are doing now?

In the days prior to dtv branded boxes most rv people purchased dtv over dish for 3 reasons.
1. no multisat dish was easy to setup.
2. no long boot period when first turned on. You see the old boxes once plugged in could get tv in less then 20 seconds. Unlike dish at that time and now dtv is the same with the eternity please wait, just a few more seconds, checking settings, downloading guide data, please wait, ect.
3. Fast guide and every manufacturer had different goodies to add. Dtv is just now starting to get to the goodies that were out 10 years ago. Example quick tune. Its not anywhere near as good as turbo tune but they did finally add it. Just took 5 years

I have friends with Dish that come over all the time. I go to their house too. I get made fun of for the guide is that bad. Its the fist thing you see other then the remote when you start to watch directv and the first idea of what dtv has to offer. They have all tried to get me to switch. It is much easier for a channel surfer on dish right now. It was not that way that long ago. Back a few years ago this was the reason why everyone purchased dtv over dish.

Just read these forums and see all the people miffed about the horrible response of the units. Why not advertise what they have thats better.

The new software that is not out yet finally addresses these issues. Still needs more work but it is a step in the right direction addressing peoples complaints. Took forever but they are starting to listen.

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:22 AM

dose the dish boxes have all stuff in background that direct tv boxes do?

I dunno. My last experience with a Dish receiver was eons ago and it wasn't impressive. That was back when D* receivers were still branded with third party company names like Sony and Samsung. They didn't have many features, but they just worked.

Yup, because one thing that will make me choose one provider over another is the guide speed. ??? Good marketing tool, I guess, and yes it would be nicer if the DirecTV guide could be faster, but that's one of the things you're hanging your hat on??? Almost sounds like scraping the bottom of the barrel to me, but I haven't seen the ad, so I could be missing something.

No doubt Dish is desperate to stem the blood loss on their end, but as has been mentioned the guide really is the face of the service these days, along with channel count, price and picture quality.

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

Wow, OK. I guess I stand corrected, but I can guarantee, if I was currently shopping for a provider, on my list of considerations the list would have to be extremely long for "guide response" to even be on it.

I guess this is one of those YMMV things.

#7 OFFLINE   Paul E Fox II

Paul E Fox II

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

I must be missing something...my Dad and Brother-In-Law both are Dish Network subscribers and I'm not blown away by the guide that I see on their receivers at all.

Maybe I've missed an upgrade or something but I like the DirecTV guide just fine.

#8 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

Not only is the guide being slow, but all functionality is slow. My HR21 will not properly respond to punching in the channel number over 50% of the time. Slip/Skip doesn't respond well. It's a performance issue and it's very frustrating when doing basic DVR operations. These issues have been discussed extensively, especially since the latest 034c release. Now we have to deal with the hard drive thrashing noise and getting constant audio and video signal break-up issues since this latest update. :mad:

Overall, I'm a happy customer, I just wish D* would address some of these KNOWN issues before releasing new features.
H20, HR20, HR21

#9 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

For me if it is to fast it is just as bad or not worse because i would be going back and forth missing what i was searching for.

The guide speed is fine there is more important issues that need to be addressed.

#10 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

There is hope!
My hr23 is in the same boat as your hr21. Running 34c or what ever the nr is right now. Its 3 days old and has 99% empty hard drive. 3 series record with 3 things on it. 8-12 seconds for the guide to launch. Long pauses when paging, Skip to end bug. Dont have the issue with punching in channels. Works fine on that.
Work around I changed it to 30skip and the skip to end bug has not reappeared.
Scrolling effects off, native off, 147 channel guide.

My r22-100 hd is a SPEED demon in comparison. Running some not available yet stuff. Scrolling effects off, native off, 147 channel guide. 80% available hard drive, 30 series links, vod enabled.
It is loading the guide in 2-3 seconds reliably! Paging was at 1-2 seconds but after being on for awhile is now around 1 second for a full response and total page change.
All current features seem to work. I dont use double play on either unit. Still buggy in some spots, but it is coming. Hopefully it will be out soon!

#11 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

Ive seen the ad and it just seems to me that dish network is really getting desperate. I mean if all they can do is put down DirecTV to advertise themselves something is wrong. They do the same thing on other commercials comparing sports specifically football Sunday Ticket.I do agree the guide and other menus could be faster on DirecTV but they still work and get the job done. All the receivers do everything I want them to do. Most of the time it doesn't bother me at all if it takes a few seconds longer on some things. For me it only gets a little annoying if I am doing something specific and in a hurry. :lol:
**Living Room - H24-x00** **My Room - HR22-100** **Master Bedroom - R22-100**
***I am in a 72.5 local swap market I do not subscribe to HD access***

**Complete Setup Here**

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

Wow, OK. I guess I stand corrected, but I can guarantee, if I was currently shopping for a provider, on my list of considerations the list would have to be extremely long for "guide response" to even be on it.

Believe me it wouldn't be something on my mind as a new customer either, and I consider myself a rather tech-savvy individual. But know what I know now… ;)

#13 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

I agree, lots of people do use the guide all the time and they would be swayed by it. Sure, most poel ehere probably do mostly DVR watching, but if the overall interface is slow (and it is despite what many apologists want to beleive) it does affect the overall impression of the service as a whole.

Personally, I like DirecTV over Dish (used to have Dish years ago and would be very unlikely to go back) but the HR series is too slow.

And to whoever asked if the Dish boxes had as much background stuff going on, I bet the average user does not care a bit about the extra things and even the ones that do still want a faster interface.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

FWIW, in this old poll, 70% of respondents say the GUIDE is their first choice for scheduling recordings. Although that's not something folks do frequently, it is an indication of mindset.
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

According to the page mentioning this on E*'s website:

Based on EPG comparison between VIP 722k and HR22

George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#16 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

So - E* has at least a twice-as-fast guide, and in HD, too (yes, their GUI is HD).

...and yet some still defend D* on this one. Wow.

#17 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

So - E* has at least a twice-as-fast guide, and in HD, too (yes, their GUI is HD).

There is another side to this. After all, a fast guide is useless if you can't find the programming you want (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, NASCAR HotPass, etc, etc, etc). Maybe the guide is faster because it contains less watchable programming? :grin:
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#18 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

I haven't seen the commercial but it is hard for me to see how it could be twice as fast as the guide in my HR20. That guide, for my purposes, is nearly instantaneous.

I use the guide daily to schedule recordings. Whoever posted that you don't do it often must not record movies.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#19 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

I guess it means we must really like DirecTV.:)

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#20 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

I've seen the ad - they probably should have talked about general speed rather than guide speed. I used to have Dish Network and an HD DVR a 622... I know firsthand the speed difference between the 622 and my HR22s. I have to say the guide is the least of the slowness trouble of my HR22s. The 622 is more than twice as fast in EVERYTHING it does over the HR22.

While guide speed is the first place you notice it the HR22 is a suck-fest compared the 622. The 722k is even better. It is more than twice as a fast as an idle HR22 while the 722k is recording 4 HD streams... That would be 2 OTA and 2 Satellite all at the same time.... What is wrong with this picture?

DirecTV needs to fix these things - period.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...