Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Dish Network Ad touts 2x guide speed performance compared to DirecTV receivers

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,182 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

I've seen the commercial in question, I don't know about everyone else but I couldn't read the guide as fast as they were scrolling on the E* box. I actually like to read what's on the guide before going to the next page. What I don't know about the D* boxes is that one time the guide zips along (with the latest national release) but other time it take a couple seconds, it needs to be consistent in it's reaction.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

I've seen the ad - they probably should have talked about general speed rather than guide speed. I used to have Dish Network and an HD DVR a 622... I know firsthand the speed difference between the 622 and my HR22s. I have to say the guide is the least of the slowness trouble of my HR22s. The 622 is more than twice as fast in EVERYTHING it does over the HR22.

While guide speed is the first place you notice it the HR22 is a suck-fest compared the 622. The 722k is even better. It is more than twice as a fast as an idle HR22 while the 722k is recording 4 HD streams... That would be 2 OTA and 2 Satellite all at the same time.... What is wrong with this picture?

DirecTV needs to fix these things - period.

I'm a little late to the party, but saying "The 622 is more than twice as fast in EVERYTHING it does over the HR22" is a stretch. Can it record an hour program in a half hour? ;)

I'm with you on getting things to work at a decent speed consistently. Hopefully the latest release will actually help.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#103 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

Many of the early HR20 users (like me) from 2007 have completed or are near the end of their contracts. I'm not really interested in Sunday Ticket, so why do I stay with Directv? I've been loyal to them for 10 years, but the competition is getting hard to ignore. Most providers have added all of the HD channels I watch, so that is no longer an issue. I don't really care about the media center/on-demand/MRV/etc. on the current HD-DVR. As I've stated here many times, I would be very happy with a basic Directv HD-DVR (without the bells & whistles) that was stable and had quick menus and fast RF remote response. Many people seem to think Tivo is the cure-all, but we will have to wait and see. Oh well, my plan is to wait until Jan-10 to make a decision.

:)

#104 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

How is the user interface with your Dish DVR? My only experience with Dish has been some of their receivers, which I thought were terrible. (As far as the remote and UI were concerned) Of course, these were recievers in vacation properties, which may have been pretty old.

Being a standard definition subscriber I think it's OK,but if I was an HD subscriber I probably would not like it because Dish's HDDVR only have 2-60 minute live buffers and the second tuner output is SD only.This is my first Dish DVR(625) before I ran a standard receiver(DP301).

#105 OFFLINE   RCY

RCY

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Being a standard definition subscriber I think it's OK,but if I was an HD subscriber I probably would not like it because Dish's HDDVR only have 2-60 minute live buffers and the second tuner output is SD only.This is my first Dish DVR(625) before I ran a standard receiver(DP301).

Thanks for the response. I'll probably try to find a Dish HD DVR in a store somewhere to try out the interface. I could probably live with the HD input on the main TV and a SD on the "other" TV. I was primarily interested in if the UI and remote for the Dish DVRs were better than their standalone recievers.
Setup:

1 VIP 612
1 VIP 211k, hooked to HTPC via Hauppauge HD-PVR
1 HDVR2 w/280 hours (discontinued service 10/2/10)
1 DSR 704 w/320 hours (quit working 6/6/09)
4 HTPCs w/ 6 HD tuners - 4 TB of HD storage

#106 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll probably try to find a Dish HD DVR in a store somewhere to try out the interface. I could probably live with the HD input on the main TV and a SD on the "other" TV. I was primarily interested in if the UI and remote for the Dish DVRs were better than their standalone recievers.

Your welcome,the answer to that question is Oh yeah as there is a big difference between the DVR interface and remote and standard receiver interface and remote at least that is what I have found out so far.That would be your best bet to be able to try it out for yourself as everyone's likes and dislikes are normally not the same.;)

#107 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

Anyway, as to the actual advertising, I don't know anybody that chooses a provider based on guide speed. This is Dish getting really desperate.

This is Dish taking a low blow, but one that deserves to be taken.

Guide speed isn't something that people actively look for when shopping TV providers, but it's something that can make or break a great viewing experience.

It's sort of like car engines and the old saw, "people buy horsepower but drive torque." The horsepower in this case is content (channels) but the torque is the box and how well it works.

I just spent a few days at a relative's house with their cable box. They're old folks that don't even know how to bring up the guide, much less do VOD or anything advanced.

But for them it doesn't matter because the box is fast enough at changing channels that it doesn't get in their way. One of them spent a week with me this summer and she complained about the HDDVR's speed after about 5 minutes of trying to find a channel she wanted to watch. Then she gave up and went into the bedroom, where the little D11 blasted through channels like a hot knife through butter.

I tried to get her to watch on the HDTV but she said it wasn't worth the hassle of having an HDTV if it was gonna be that slow. ;)

#108 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hah,

I think most of you are missing the point of these commercials. These adds are not targeting new subscribers. They are specifically targeting directv customers who are fed up, and customers that have had both and swap back and for for every new deal out. Every forum on the net has posts about speed issues and Directv.
Adds targeting a potential 18 million subscriber market do not sound like a waste of money. Sounds like good business.

As far as speed directv lost that back with the first brand only boxes. If you think any Dxx brand unit is fast you probably have not used a Hughes 6 or 7th gen box. Smokes the dxx series. Old Ultimate tv kicks the r15 r16 but on nearly everything but storage space but it was upgradeable and was years prior to the d units.

Im glad Directv has finally started to address these issues and I am so happy Dish is targeting them with these adds. This is competition at its best. Directv will loose a few and dish will grow. Directv will take notice and Fix the issues. New hd sat will come online, new tivo units will be released, Directv will launch its next generation of units, Directv will gain back most of what is looses plus new ones leaving cable. This is free market at work. We all win due to competition.

#109 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

Directv will loose a few and dish will grow.

... or Dish will shrink at a slower rate. :sure:
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#110 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

I only have a couple of months to go now on my HR21 committment. My HR21 has been disappointing and really with unacceptable performance. As a previous VIP622 owner it is going to be hard for DirecTV to keep me happy.

#111 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

I am on the new national release software right now on my HR20 HD DVR

I think it is faster than my Dish HD DVR when I had dish.

They seemed to fix all the slowness issues.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#112 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

Actually both SAT tuners and the OTA tuners are all HD. It is the second TV output that is SD only which is a feature the HR boxes do not have.

#113 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Actually both SAT tuners and the OTA tuners are all HD. It is the second TV output that is SD only which is a feature the HR boxes do not have.

Thank you for this explanation and correction.:)

#114 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hmm maybe slight off topic and granted I am new to Directv. Isn't Directv marketed towards the sports fan? Dish to others?

Who is Dish/Directv marketing towards?

All I know is I would die without sports in my life. :lol:Go Directv. More sports please!

#115 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

Hmm maybe slight off topic and granted I am new to Directv. Isn't Directv marketed towards the sports fan? Dish to others?

Who is Dish/Directv marketing towards?

All I know is I would die without sports in my life. :lol:Go Directv. More sports please!

Basically you are correct yet DISH! has some sports too(Dish has NFL Red Zone now), so it all depends what your looking for.The best bet is for the subscriber to check out the channels and prices of all the channel providers in their area that they are interested in,research it and make a informed decision based on that information.

#116 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:28 AM

have to say since the new NR, my guide speed is dramatically improved

i wonder if this ad will be running for very long? ;]

#117 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

I'm happy to see this ad. The lack of a 3 hour, HD quality, fast-performing guide has long been my biggest complaint about DirecTV.

I still prefer the sports selection (duh!) and think (though I don't have scientific proof) that my D* system is less prone to rain fade than Dish Network (E*). I also love the OnDemand selection on D*, which is a life-saver when you have a toddler. It's also (GET THIS!) cheaper for me than E* given my package selection.

Still, the ad is a great thing. It will help push D* to come up with new equipment and new guides, software, etc. It's how competition works, and we're all better off for it, whether on D* or E*.
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#118 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,367 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

have to say since the new NR, my guide speed is dramatically improved

i wonder if this ad will be running for very long? ;]

Likely as long as they can milk it.....:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#119 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

Interesting at how fast D* rolled out this latest update, and it is the first one in awhile that has really had a noticeable good impact on my guide speed. So this new strategy of Dishnet’s of pointing out the HR2X weaknesses, keep it up!
I am happy that it's lit a fire under some people’s butts at Dierectv

#120 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

This latest update has been in the works for a while now and is defintely not something DirecTV just slapped together to combat the E* ad.

This is, at best, just a coincidence in the timing and not a response to - or a result of - the ad.

#121 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

its true, if you say its not your crazy or dont have a HD DVR.

#122 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:27 AM

heh, i'm going to go ahead and assume you didn't read through much of the thread before posting.

no one's going to argue that it's not true. all of us d* subscribers are (is painfully too strong a word to use here?) aware of just how slow the guide can be.

#123 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

I must take back part of my previous post. Lastnight I hooked up my HR22 and it did a software update which just said it added TVmail but had different/better font on the menu and box seems allot snappier, going through the guide is allot faster however its still a short delay in actually changing the channel. Good news is, maybe if Dish keeps saying these things it will get Directv to improve the boxes under the hood.

#124 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

Yeah the software update has helped the snappiness of the guide but some of the other features are still dead slow, like changing/selecting channels, navigating through recorded programs (ff/rew/pause response) etc.

Maybe working on each problem in bits is how they're doing it now.

#125 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

I just saw ... an ad for Dish Network that aired on FNC touting their service... complete with a side-by-side pic comparing [Dish and DirecTV] speeds.

My first thought was, “Wow, that DirecTV guide is actually faster than mine!

My first thought on reading this was "How can you pick an HR2x box to compare with, when they're all so different in speed."

Lucky for DirecTV that Dish didn't have available one of DirecTV's really slow boxes. (Even with 0x0368, a few users are reporting unbearable sluggishness.) But then, maybe viewers of the commercial wouldn't believe Dish hadn't faked the speed; no DVR could be that slow! ;)
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

Protected By... spam firewall...And...