Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Dish Network Ad touts 2x guide speed performance compared to DirecTV receivers

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

its true, if you say its not your crazy or dont have a HD DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Truman

Truman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:27 AM

heh, i'm going to go ahead and assume you didn't read through much of the thread before posting.

no one's going to argue that it's not true. all of us d* subscribers are (is painfully too strong a word to use here?) aware of just how slow the guide can be.

#123 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

I must take back part of my previous post. Lastnight I hooked up my HR22 and it did a software update which just said it added TVmail but had different/better font on the menu and box seems allot snappier, going through the guide is allot faster however its still a short delay in actually changing the channel. Good news is, maybe if Dish keeps saying these things it will get Directv to improve the boxes under the hood.

#124 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:09 AM

Yeah the software update has helped the snappiness of the guide but some of the other features are still dead slow, like changing/selecting channels, navigating through recorded programs (ff/rew/pause response) etc.

Maybe working on each problem in bits is how they're doing it now.

#125 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

I just saw ... an ad for Dish Network that aired on FNC touting their service... complete with a side-by-side pic comparing [Dish and DirecTV] speeds.

My first thought was, “Wow, that DirecTV guide is actually faster than mine!

My first thought on reading this was "How can you pick an HR2x box to compare with, when they're all so different in speed."

Lucky for DirecTV that Dish didn't have available one of DirecTV's really slow boxes. (Even with 0x0368, a few users are reporting unbearable sluggishness.) But then, maybe viewers of the commercial wouldn't believe Dish hadn't faked the speed; no DVR could be that slow! ;)
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

spam firewall