Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish alignment error message

error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagle Shadow

Eagle Shadow

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

My HR21 indicates on the self test that there is a dish alignment problem yet everything works fine. I'm not going to fix something that isn't broke but why this error message?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

I got the same thing on my HR20. It said there was an alignment problem. Checked my readings and found a couple of them were around 50-55. All the reast were at leat 85-90. I haven't seen any problems with reception, so I'm like you. Leave it alone if it's working ok!

#3 OFFLINE   direct-dish

direct-dish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:09 AM

I was getting the same message so I had them come out to check. (since I am paying for the protection plan and have not used it!) The tech said "your dish has settled" (although none of my numbers were below 80). Anyway, after he left I ran the test again and it still gave me a fault on dish alignment, so, I have left it alone. Luckily I did not have to pay for that call.:confused:

#4 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

This has been an error message bug in the software for some time in the last couple of software releases. No one has any idea if or when it will be fixed, but it also doesn't mean you have an actual problem. No one should go realigning their dish if they are getting excellent numbers for signal strength just because they received this message.

SMK

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

My HR21 indicates on the self test that there is a dish alignment problem yet everything works fine. I'm not going to fix something that isn't broke but why this error message?

Post back your actual signal readings and we can tell you if they're good or not.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
[A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA #
9-16 NA # NA # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA # # #
25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º©) [or 99º(a)]
[National HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º©) [or 103º(b)]
[National HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)
[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

This has been an error message bug in the software for some time in the last couple of software releases. No one has any idea if or when it will be fixed, but it also doesn't mean you have an actual problem. No one should go realigning their dish if they are getting excellent numbers for signal strength just because they received this message.

SMK

I wouldn't go this far .. It is true that to get the "right" answer it needs to be a clear day. Rain or potential rain-fade issues will throw off the numbers, but if the skys are completely clear and you see a "Dish Alignment" error, then fine-tuning the dish alignment is a good thing.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

To Litzdog's point...without some more actual data....diagnosing anything is shooting at the stars....

If you can provide more setup and signal level information, many are here to assist in attempting to help.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

It is probably not uncommon to get this message when the signal levels are below what is desirable, but strong enough that they don't usually cause a problem.

I think that's the reason I get the message. Some of my ka transponders are in the 50's range, which means that they go out sooner in rainstorms and come back later. But normally it does not cause a problem, which probably means nothing would be done about it if I did call DirecTV.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

It is probably not uncommon to get this message when the signal levels are below what is desirable, but strong enough that they don't usually cause a problem.

I think that's the reason I get the message. Some of my ka transponders are in the 50's range, which means that they go out sooner in rainstorms and come back later. But normally it does not cause a problem, which probably means nothing would be done about it if I did call DirecTV.

This is a very good assessment ... fine tuning the dish could improve upon this situation making the overall experience better.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   RCinFLA

RCinFLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

I think the reason for the error is the SW for that test doesn't check for what actual transponders/beams you are suppose to get for your area.

Spot beams overlap and it is common to get low signal strength reading on spot beams not intended for your area.

If you are getting high reading on some of the transponder on the same satellite there is nothing wrong with your dish alignment. You could have a polarization issue that caused all transponders on that polarization to be low but that would be a LNB problem not dish alignment problem.

Edited by RCinFLA, 26 October 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

Nope, DIRECTV knows where you are located and adjusts accordingly.

#12 OFFLINE   RCinFLA

RCinFLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

Yes they absolutely do for channel programming but doesn't make sense on signal strength measurements and system test.

How can you have absolutely perfect signal strength on both polarities yet still show an unuseable 40 or below level on same satellite on the signal strength readouts? It would either be edge of a spot beam or defective transponder.

The system test consistantly reports erroneous errors on tuners. Repeat it again and get another different error report.

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

Yes they absolutely do for channel programming but doesn't make sense on signal strength measurements and system test.

How can you have absolutely perfect signal strength on both polarities yet still show an unuseable 40 or below level on same satellite on the signal strength readouts? It would either be edge of a spot beam or defective transponder.

The system test consistantly reports erroneous errors on tuners. Repeat it again and get another different error report.

All I'm saying is that DIRECTV is aware of your location and your specific needs .. I doubt they even check neighboring spot beams as technically you are not in that area even if you do show some signal strength readings.

spam firewall