Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about dropping a premium and a reciever

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys,

I read on here a little while ago that if you drop a premium, shut off a reciever, activate a receiver you will loose your grandfathered package. I have the old total choice plus package. I'm looking to drop my premium and deactivate a reciever we never use. I would be doing this by phone. Do they still change your package without your concent if you do those things? I was also wondering if there was any way of looking online and finding out which reciever is the main account receiver. I want to make sure I don't deactivate that one. I know it screws up your account if you do that. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it. By the way I did use search and I could not find anything up to date on this subject.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Taxi77

Taxi77

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I have the old Premier which includes DVR service. I just deactivated a Tivo DVR, leaving me with 3 HR-2**, they changed my package without telling me. Now I'm being billed for DVR service. I did call and they changed it back and gave me $5 off Starz for 6 mos for my trouble.

HR21-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR24
Sharp 70" Aquos, Sony 55" LED, Sony 40" LED, Vizio 37" LCD
Whole House
PS3 with Playon

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hey guys,

I read on here a little while ago that if you drop a premium, shut off a reciever, activate a receiver you will loose your grandfathered package. I have the old total choice plus package. I'm looking to drop my premium and deactivate a reciever we never use. I would be doing this by phone. Do they still change your package without your concent if you do those things? I was also wondering if there was any way of looking online and finding out which reciever is the main account receiver. I want to make sure I don't deactivate that one. I know it screws up your account if you do that. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it. By the way I did use search and I could not find anything up to date on this subject.

You "might" lose a grandfathered package, though in most cases you shouldn't. Usually it is the unfortunate way CSRs have to remove a primary receiver. Alas, they can't just switch receivers, they have to take everything off, then add it all back in. Therein it is too easy to make a mistake in adding back the right package from long ago.

Now, since I'm also a grandfathered Premier which includes DVR and all the premiums, if I drop a premium I definitely lose my grandfathered package. So I'd have to think very hard about losing that. :)

Thankfully, the CSRs and supervisors have always been very helpful in restoring my original package as I switch out old receivers.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,950 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

You "might" lose a grandfathered package, though in most cases you shouldn't. Usually it is the unfortunate way CSRs have to remove a primary receiver. Alas, they can't just switch receivers, they have to take everything off, then add it all back in. Therein it is too easy to make a mistake in adding back the right package from long ago.

Now, since I'm also a grandfathered Premier which includes DVR and all the premiums, if I drop a premium I definitely lose my grandfathered package. So I'd have to think very hard about losing that. :)

Thankfully, the CSRs and supervisors have always been very helpful in restoring my original package as I switch out old receivers.

Cheers,
Tom

Bet you "talk nice" to them too. :)
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

ehilbert1,

If you log into your DirecTV account and look at "Activity Since Last Bill", look at the line item for your programming package. That will list the access card # (actually, last 4 digits) of your primary receiver.

If you call to do this, I would first indicate that you are calling to deactivate a receiver and drop a premium but you have a grandfathered programming package and want to make sure that nothing happens to change your base package. Then they are at least on notice before they just start doing things.

#6 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I think if I do this I will make sure and let them know I don't want to change my package. So can I ask "nicely" :) which reciever is my primary reciever? Would they be able to tell me that?

#7 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

ehilbert1,

If you log into your DirecTV account and look at "Activity Since Last Bill", look at the line item for your programming package. That will list the access card # (actually, last 4 digits) of your primary receiver.

If you call to do this, I would first indicate that you are calling to deactivate a receiver and drop a premium but you have a grandfathered programming package and want to make sure that nothing happens to change your base package. Then they are at least on notice before they just start doing things.

Thank you! I will do that first before I call. I'll make sure I let them know I have a grandfathered package too. Thanks again guys. We have some good people in this forum!

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I think if I do this I will make sure and let them know I don't want to change my package. So can I ask "nicely" :) which reciever is my primary reciever? Would they be able to tell me that?

Yes, that is very easy.

And you can ascertain that from the website. The unit that doesn't have a specific charge associated is the primary.

(and yes, VeryOldSchool, I almost always start talking nicely. Definitely with DIRECTV; sometimes with other vendors... well I try to start nicely...) :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:46 PM

I checked out my account and the main reciever is the one I want turned off. I don't think I'll even risk it. It's a R-15. I could switch it with our R-10, but my wife loves the Tivo interface. I guess I'm out of luck. Darn!

#10 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

What you might try is to call them and, talking them through what you want to do before they actually do anything, inquire about switching your primary receiver from your R15 to whichever one you want as your primary.

No talk of dropping your premium, no talk of deactivating your receiver during that phone call. If they ask why, you can tell them you may want to replace the R15 at some point in the future and don't want to have any problems with your grandfathered package when doing so.

If someone knows which department (if not the frontline CSR) would be most likely to accomplish this without hosing things up, please chime in. I was thinking the Access Card department, but not sure if you can get there by just asking the CSR to transfer you there.

Once your primary receiver has been successfully switched, then you should be OK calling back and having the CSR drop your premium and deactivate your receiver.

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

The department you want is the access card department. I believe they deal with all things primary/slave and access cards.

As for changing stuff, I have TC+ myself, and just added Starz, dropped Sports pack, got a credit for free HD Extra so I wouldnt drop it, and then got talked into keeping Sports pack, and adding Starz to it for $5 more per month for 6 months :) Smooth talking CSR. In any case, my TC+ and free lifetime DVR service survived intact.

Further, about a year ago, a friend of mine who was staying at my house temporarily, decided he wanted to watch some movies, and called directv and had them change my package from TC+ to the package with everything. I never knew it (I keep my DVRs on a custom playlist and never knew all those movie channels were turned on) until I got my bill (wow). I immediately called, and explained to the CSR what I believe happened. They were very understanding. They added a second security password to my account, switched me back to TC+ (which everyone had said was impossible once you change to a current package from a grandfathered one), and then even removed the extra charges for the three weeks the other package had been active. Cant beat that with a stick.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...