Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chase Carey Warns Of Battle As Fox Wants Cable Ops To Pay For Net

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

http://www.sportsbus...rticleID=134267
News Corp. Deputy Chair, President & COO Chase Carey warned that retransmission consent battles may be brewing as his company tries to convince cable operators to start paying to carry the Fox broadcast channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

I'd hope the FCC would have something to say about this. If Fox wants to charge for all their cable channels, all well and good. However, since cable companies are required to carry local broadcast stations, it seems that Fox shouldn't be allowed to charge for carriage.

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

I'd hope the FCC would have something to say about this. If Fox wants to charge for all their cable channels, all well and good. However, since cable companies are required to carry local broadcast stations, it seems that Fox shouldn't be allowed to charge for carriage.

My understanding of that was that a local channel could either invoke must carry OR demand payment. If payment was demanded then the sat/cable operators were free to not carry them.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

My understanding of that was that a local channel could either invoke must carry OR demand payment. If payment was demanded then the sat/cable operators were free to not carry them.

Hence, the retransmission consent battle say-what quoted. Cable wants to have all locals, but doesn't want to pay. The station wants to be paid. Consumer gets screwed in the end...
If you can read this, you are too close.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:07 AM

And once again I say local stations should not be able to charge such fees. There should be no fees either way, but if anything the locals should have to pay to be carried since they are able to reach a larger audience of people including those who do not have OTA antennas.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

Just a thought based on nothing but guesswork. Could it be broadcasters are worried about revenue losses as advertisers begin to realize an increasing number of viewers have a magic box with a magic button? In our case we've had DVRs for ten years. If forced to watch a commercial on a live broadcast (which I try to avoid like the plague) I hit the mute button so at least I don't hear the blather.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#7 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

Makes me glad we have 2 HR20s with built in OTA tuners.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Just a thought based on nothing but guesswork. Could it be broadcasters are worried about revenue losses as advertisers begin to realize an increasing number of viewers have a magic box with a magic button? In our case we've had DVRs for ten years. If forced to watch a commercial on a live broadcast (which I try to avoid like the plague) I hit the mute button so at least I don't hear the blather.

I think your guesswork is right on the mark. With local advertising drying up, some of the local stations are looking for new ways of adding revenue. It may backfire on them, however, if they demand payment from cable and satellite cos.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

There are two initiatives going on here. The first has been the ongoing battles negotiations with local station owners. The second is the networks themselves seeking revenue from satellite and cable companies. We are going to see efforts to support both operations from fees collected from us.

At that point, maybe more will join me in saying that ABC, CBS, Fox, MyNetworkTV, NBC, PBS, and The CW should become "cable" channels where we just pay for them just like we do for USA or FX. Let them dump their affiliates and let us dump our locals. Otherwise, we're soon going to be paying an extra $20 a month for locals.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

But why should we as satellite customers be held hostage for our locals, and face it, there have been some nasty battles, while cable gets to carry the same channel for free.

For me, its more about being held hostage than having to pay.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

But why should we as satellite customers be held hostage for our locals, and face it, there have been some nasty battles, while cable gets to carry the same channel for free.

For me, its more about being held hostage than having to pay.

I expect any affiliate that wants to charge will charge everyone. Not just cable or satellite.

There are already affiliates that charge for carriage. Mostly they charge reasonable fees, some just enough to cover the cost of getting the signal to the carriers.

Others have tried to charge lots of monies... They often just don't get carried until they wake up. :)

And this will get interesting as more people might switch to OTA--thereby Fox might not get the money they hope for. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall