Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

comparing Directv hr210-250 and hr 23

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   2speedyfarmers

2speedyfarmers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

We recently switched from Dish to Directv and we got the hr 23 hd dvr receiver which is the newest they offer at this time I just love it. We are looking for one for our son for a christmas gift and I have found a model on ebay it is hr210-250. I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two because they show in the listing it has hd capability,tivo, and dvr all in one. It is about 1/2 the price of the model we have but appears to do the same thing. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Like I said above we are looking for christmas and we need time to order. One other question also is whether or not you can use a dish satellite with a directv receiver? He already has a dish satellite on the house he his renting and directv wants $150 for an installation kit.

I wanted to add another question. I wanted to know if you have to buy the tivo to use the recording capability or can you set up daily/weekly timers like on a vcr or dvd/dvr player/recorder?

Thanks again,
Mary !pride

Edited by 2speedyfarmers, 26 October 2009 - 08:02 AM.
asking more questions

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

We recently switched from Dish to Directv and we got the hr 23 hd dvr receiver which is the newest they offer at this time I just love it. We are looking for one for our son for a christmas gift and I have found a model on ebay it is hr210-250. I am wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two because they show in the listing it has hd capability,tivo, and dvr all in one. It is about 1/2 the price of the model we have but appears to do the same thing. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Like I said above we are looking for christmas and we need time to order. One other question also is whether or not you can use a dish satellite with a directv receiver? He already has a dish satellite on the house he his renting and directv wants $150 for an installation kit.

Thanks again,
Mary !pride

The hr210-250 is a mpeg 2 HD receiver and while it is a fine piece of hardware, there are only a few mpeg2 HD channels left. Almost all of the channels are now MPEG4 which the hr210-250 can NOT receive.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

The HR10-250 is the old HD TIVO receiver. It's a good DVR if you only want to use it for standard def from the satellite and standard and high def from local over the air stations. It can not recieve most of the HD channels from DirecTV due to DirecTV changing their HD encoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4.

#4 OFFLINE   bocoogto

bocoogto

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

I have a HR10-250 still active, along with the HR23. The HR10 can only receive about five HD satellite channels due to the changeover to MPEG4 by Direct TV. If you have an antenna, and can receive local stations, the HR10 will receive them in HD and makes a good receiver/DVR. Eventually, over the air is all the HD content that will still be in MPEG2, which is all the HR10 can handle.

In any case, the HR10 will not work at all unless activated by Direct TV with a monthly fee of $5 for each receiver plus your HD and DVR fee per household. If you're a longtime Direct TV customer, they will replace the HR10 with the HR23 for $99 as I did--or maybe less if you bargain with them.

The HR10 is not as user-friendly as the HR2X series. When you access the menu to look at recorded list or set recordings, the picture and sound go away until you return to live TV. There have been thousands of words written about the superiority of TIVO (HR10) over the HR2X series, but it's a moot point now since the HR10 is all but obsolete with MPEG4 being the encoding used for satellite broadcasting of HD content. It will be interesting to see how the anticipated new Direct TV TIVO compares with the HR2X series.

#5 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

One other question also is whether or not you can use a dish satellite with a directv receiver? He already has a dish satellite on the house he his renting and directv wants $150 for an installation kit.

Thanks again,
Mary !pride

Everyone has pretty much covered the HR10-250 so I will answer the above:

No you can not use a Dish Network sat dish to receive directv programming.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#6 OFFLINE   2speedyfarmers

2speedyfarmers

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

I thank everyone for your knowledge it has been very helpful.

Mary

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I have a HR10-250 still active, along with the HR23. The HR10 can only receive about five HD satellite channels due to the changeover to MPEG4 by Direct TV. If you have an antenna, and can receive local stations, the HR10 will receive them in HD and makes a good receiver/DVR. Eventually, over the air is all the HD content that will still be in MPEG2, which is all the HR10 can handle.

In any case, the HR10 will not work at all unless activated by Direct TV with a monthly fee of $5 for each receiver plus your HD and DVR fee per household. If you're a longtime Direct TV customer, they will replace the HR10 with the HR23 for $99 as I did--or maybe less if you bargain with them.

The HR10 is not as user-friendly as the HR2X series. When you access the menu to look at recorded list or set recordings, the picture and sound go away until you return to live TV. There have been thousands of words written about the superiority of TIVO (HR10) over the HR2X series, but it's a moot point now since the HR10 is all but obsolete with MPEG4 being the encoding used for satellite broadcasting of HD content. It will be interesting to see how the anticipated new Direct TV TIVO compares with the HR2X series.

I thought you canceled Directv? http://www.dbstalk.c...907#post2253907 :lol::lol:

Direct TV billed me this month for an installation and receiver they claim they installed last year. What actually happened is I bought the Hughes HD receiver from Best Buy and installed it myself. They activated it after I installed it. This Hughes receiver appeared on my Direct TV account until they replaced it with a leased HR20-700 HD DVR.

I was on the phone with them for three hours last night without success in convincing them I own the Hughes receiver in question. I said I wouldn't pay for the receiver unless they could produce proof that they delivered it. I ended up cancelling all Direct TV service and they turned off the feed last night.

Anyone have suggestions on what I should do next? I've considered subscribing to Dish Network.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   bocoogto

bocoogto

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

As I said in another post, the note about the problem with Direct TV billing for a receiver purchased at Best Buy was written by my wife's son-in-law. I am not the one with the problem. Posting #4 above pertains to my situation.

#9 OFFLINE   2speedyfarmers

2speedyfarmers

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

Thanks again,
Mary !pride

Now can anybody tell me if I was to buy one of these receivers can you still record if you don't pay for the tivo option. I feel like you should be able to by setting up daily/weekly timers like you can on a vcr or dvd player/recorders? I haven't learned that yet about the HR23 since we have the tivo option I haven't read up on it.

Thank you again

#10 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

Mary,
I find the D* HR2* line to be better than TiVo for DirecTV viewing.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

Now can anybody tell me if I was to buy one of these receivers can you still record if you don't pay for the tivo option. I feel like you should be able to by setting up daily/weekly timers like you can on a vcr or dvd player/recorders? I haven't learned that yet about the HR23 since we have the tivo option I haven't read up on it.

Thank you again

If you dont have DVR service active on your D* acct you cannot record with the D* receivers. Same goes for the D* Tivo boxes as well. It works no different in concept than if you dont pay for HD service, you cant view any HD channels either. DVR functions do not work without DVR service.

#12 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Mary,

Welcome to DBSTalk!!! :welcome_s

Thank you again

Just a note for clarity - the DirecTV/TiVo DVRs (DirecTiVos) do not require a subscription to TiVo service like the DVRs that are strictly TiVos. DirecTV charges a "DVR FEE" that enables the DVR functions on any DirecTV DVR on your account (including DirecTiVos like the HR10-250). The fee is $6.00 a month and is charged just once per account no matter how many DVRs are on the account.

There is NO $13.95 per month TiVo subscription required for the HR10-250.

#13 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi Mary, I hope you are still around. The simple answer is don't buy the hr10-250 tivo dvr for any friend of yours that uses hd tv. It is seriously obsolete and they will become enemies (mad at you). You must lease a hr20 or newer (bigger number) for directv to work right with a high def tv. Don't worry about having tivo or not. They all do every kind of recording (except suggestions) that tivo and vcr's ever did. In most ways it's way better. Every major provider has a good hd tivo like dvr now. It is not cheap but it works great. Tivo is very dormant right now.

spam firewall