Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clk

clk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

I was recently notified by DTV that my local channels were changing from San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose to Salinas/Monterrey because the latest zip code update from neilsen had determined my zip code to be Santa Cruz county. I have been getting HD locals every since I bought the place in 2006. DTV says my new locals are not offered in HD and that this will take affect Nov. 18th. So I am thinking what the hell, lets hook this guy up with the HD package, have him buy all the HD boxes and TV's then lets downgrade his service to std def? So I contacted Dish to see if they offer HD locals and they said they do in both SF/Oak/SJ and Salinas/Monterrey. When I talked to the Dish rep she said I would get SF/Oak/SJ HD locals, when I search Dish website for my address it says I get Salinas/Monterrey HD locals. So I don't no what is going on but I don't get why Dish can offer HD locals in either area and DTV can't. What gives? Should I switch? Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

So I contacted Dish to see if they offer HD locals and they said they do in both SF/Oak/SJ and Salinas/Monterrey. When I talked to the Dish rep she said I would get SF/Oak/SJ HD locals, when I search Dish website for my address it says I get Salinas/Monterrey HD locals. So I don't no what is going on but I don't get why Dish can offer HD locals in either area and DTV can't. What gives? Should I switch? Thanks in advance!

First of all, if DishNet's agent and their website disagree, trust the website.
Second, it's not that "DTV can't", just that DTV doesn't. No one here or at the company will be able to tell you why they don't.
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#3 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

See if you can weasel free AM-21 OTA tuners for all of your HD boxes. These connect via USB port and allow recording OTA channels in HD with the use of an outside antenna. As a bonus, they also record the subchannels.

If DirecTV doesn't offer any solution at all, I'd be furious and would investigate other providers. But I'm sure DirecTV has a plan in place for other frazzled customers like you in the same situation.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

I was recently notified by DTV that my local channels were changing from San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose to Salinas/Monterrey because the latest zip code update from neilsen had determined my zip code to be Santa Cruz county. I have been getting HD locals every since I bought the place in 2006. DTV says my new locals are not offered in HD and that this will take affect Nov. 18th. So I am thinking what the hell, lets hook this guy up with the HD package, have him buy all the HD boxes and TV's then lets downgrade his service to std def? So I contacted Dish to see if they offer HD locals and they said they do in both SF/Oak/SJ and Salinas/Monterrey. When I talked to the Dish rep she said I would get SF/Oak/SJ HD locals, when I search Dish website for my address it says I get Salinas/Monterrey HD locals. So I don't no what is going on but I don't get why Dish can offer HD locals in either area and DTV can't. What gives? Should I switch? Thanks in advance!

The changes that are occurring to the DMA boundaries will affect both DirecTV and Dish customers in the same way. The sat companies have no control over this.
I think the suggestion to try to get AM21 tuners is a good one!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...