Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hockey Night in Canada October 24

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Are things actually looking up for those of us who want to see the whole HNIC package on NHLCI and the NHL Network?

If the listings are to be believed, channel 772 is showing Ottawa Boston at 7 followed by Flames Oilers at 10 PM. Dare we hope that the DirecTV won't cut the feed between games?

Edited by Peter305, 22 October 2009 - 04:03 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

Are things actually looking up for those of us who want to see the whole HNIC package on NHLCI and the NHL Network?

If the listings are to be believed, channel 772 is showing Ottawa Boston at 7 followed by Flames Oilers at 10 PM. Dare we hope that the DirecTV won't cut the feed between games?

I think in previous years they in fact did. Could be wrong

#3 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

and before anybody complains about not getting the hd feed

cbc is NOT doing the ottawa/boston game in hd, and the rangers/montreal game is is sd widescreen. Rds is doing the habs game in hd.

#4 OFFLINE   psunate77

psunate77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

and before anybody complains about not getting the hd feed

cbc is NOT doing the ottawa/boston game in hd, and the rangers/montreal game is is sd widescreen. Rds is doing the habs game in hd.

Why wouldn't 772 show both games? Thats a CI station? The Boston-Ottawa feed maybe NESN feed. I think people are complaining that NHLN isn't showing two games like they did last year.

#5 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Why wouldn't 772 show both games? Thats a CI station? The Boston-Ottawa feed maybe NESN feed. I think people are complaining that NHLN isn't showing two games like they did last year.

My original question was, assuming that 772 has both HNIC feeds tomorrow night, which seems logical, will they show the programming between the first and second games that is no longer on the NHL Network? My hope is that they will but we shall see....

#6 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:49 AM

My original question was, assuming that 772 has both HNIC feeds tomorrow night, which seems logical, will they show the programming between the first and second games that is no longer on the NHL Network? My hope is that they will but we shall see....

cbc is showing 3 early games. changes are pretty good that one of them goes ot and shootout and there wont be much between game stuff, but who knows.

#7 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

cbc is showing 3 early games. changes are pretty good that one of them goes ot and shootout and there wont be much between game stuff, but who knows.

Even if there is OT and shootouts there will be at least 15 minutes of programming before puck drop in the second game.

Seems the NHL's tiny perfect commissioner told a radio audience "he would look into having the NHL Network stick with HNIC until 10:00 on weeks that they are not carrying both games."

http://puckthemedia....k/#comment-4009

I'm not holding my breath for this to happen. I remain stunned that Bettman thinks it's better to put a package of highlights in SD on the NHL Network on a Saturday night rather than showing two games.

#8 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

because people have short attention spans and would rather watch highlights. granted, the nhl sucks at delivering them (take a page from mlb network, hell, steal their format)

diehards who want to watch games can watch on centre ice, since that is what it is there for.

If you want hd on the second game, take that beef up with directtv.

#9 OFFLINE   dre2112

dre2112

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

To be fair, HNIC After Hours show should be renamed "post game talk from the Oilers, Flames and Canucks." It goes so long into the night and early following morning (depending on time zone), you can't catch On The Fly, and NHLN stops airing On The Fly replays sometime before 7am on the westcoast.

I'd rather watch On The Fly than sit through 3hours of boring post game talk and interviews from the 3 Western Canadian teams.

That said, NHLN/OTF has a long way to go. I find it hilarious that they showed the highlights in SD and then show a replay of one of the same games in HD right after OTF.

What's it going to take to get OTF in HD? How is ESPN able to get their replays in HD but not the NHL Network? I appreciate the changes like the new OTF studio, the new less annoying logo, but watch MLB Network and it's lightyears ahead. ****, I think it's better structured and designed than ESPN and TSN!

#10 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

[quote name='dre2112']
I'd rather watch On The Fly than sit through 3hours of boring post game talk and interviews from the 3 Western Canadian teams.

QUOTE]

I dunno what you are watching but After Hours lasts no more than an hour and some weeks it's not even that long....

#11 OFFLINE   paakoridge

paakoridge

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

I tend to agree that protracted post-game discussion soon becomes tedious, yet NHL on-the-fly gets repetitive. I would much rather see 2 games on Saturday night.
That said, I just looked at the guide and there is nothing showing for tonight.
Yesterday it was Leafs-Canucks, which would be barely entertaining, and the NHL apparently passed on a marquee matchup of Rangers-Canadiens. Perhaps the guide will be updated with a game later in the day.:confused:

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

The NESN feed is on 771/771-1, 772 will be the CBC feed. Lets hope they keep the feed turned on the whole time into the other game starting at 10ET.

#13 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

I tend to agree that protracted post-game discussion soon becomes tedious, yet NHL on-the-fly gets repetitive. I would much rather see 2 games on Saturday night.
That said, I just looked at the guide and there is nothing showing for tonight.
Yesterday it was Leafs-Canucks, which would be barely entertaining, and the NHL apparently passed on a marquee matchup of Rangers-Canadiens. Perhaps the guide will be updated with a game later in the day.:confused:

The guide went blank this morning but the NHL Network's online schedule states that Leafs-Canucks is the game that is being shown on the NHL Network....

http://www.nhlnetwor...n_US/tvListings

Edited by Peter305, 24 October 2009 - 12:35 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

The NESN feed is on 771/771-1, 772 will be the CBC feed. Lets hope they keep the feed turned on the whole time into the other game starting at 10ET.

Indeed. We can always hope....

Edited by Peter305, 24 October 2009 - 12:41 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   loowaters

loowaters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

What's going on with NHLN? I'm not seeing any HNIC game for tonight and right now it's telling me that Sharks at Flyers is blacked out. The guide is telling me that at 4p CT "Upcoming: NHL on the Fly" until 8:30 when "NHL on the Fly" shows up. What has happened? That Sharks at Flyers game is TOMORROW!

#16 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

What's going on with NHLN? I'm not seeing any HNIC game for tonight and right now it's telling me that Sharks at Flyers is blacked out. The guide is telling me that at 4p CT "Upcoming: NHL on the Fly" until 8:30 when "NHL on the Fly" shows up. What has happened? That Sharks at Flyers game is TOMORROW!

The games aren't on NHLN tonight, they are on NHLCI.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

Just in the last hour or two 772 is no longer showing a 7 PM game so there is only one Ottawa Boston feed which will be the NESN feed.

Thanks again DirecTV for messing up HNIC....

#18 OFFLINE   loowaters

loowaters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

At least now I'm getting "Off the Ice" and not a blackout but the guide still shows that Sharks at Flyers game...which, again, is tomorrow. Maybe it's just the guide that's off because next week's (10/31)looks like it has each Saturday this season.

#19 OFFLINE   iluvtv

iluvtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

toronto at vancouver is on NHLN tonite and after the oilers flames game on CI i'm seeing "postgame" which should be "afterhours".

#20 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

toronto at vancouver is on NHLN tonite and after the oilers flames game on CI i'm seeing "postgame" which should be "afterhours".

Don't hold your breath on getting After Hours, but we shall see. It's maddening that the CBC broadcast of Ottawa Boston has been dropped.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...