Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver Problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   goblue90

goblue90

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Does anyone know if the receivers from Directv comes with any warranty if you dont have the protection plan. I have an HR 22 dvr that recently received the software update which made it an hddvr. Now when I turn on my tv the screen distorts and the the screen goes off and then comes back on. I have changed my HDMI cable and it still happens. The problem doesnt happen when I run the OTA antenna, it only happens when I turn on the directv box... any ideas what may be happening?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

You have a couple of questions/issues here, so I'll try to answer them...

I am assuming you mean that you have the R22 as you mention it became an HD receiver with the last udpate. That will throw some caveats on that I'll explain in a bit.

As for the warranty issue, your receiver is most likely a lease (especially if you purchased it from DirecTV or a retailer after March 2006). Since you ask about warranty without the PP, I assume that means you don't have it, which makes it highly unlikely your receiver is owned. That being said, since you have a leased recevier, you can have a defective receiver replaced for just the charge of shipping ($20). This will not extend your commitment with DirecTV.

Now with that, DirecTV considers your R22 to be a SD-DVR. Yes, you can receive HD programming, but they look at it as if it is a bonus to you. As such, if you have it replaced, it will be replaced with a SD-DVR (an R15 or R16). The exception to that is if you live in an MPEG-4 market area, they will only use HD-DVR's now (I know Toledo is one of those markets, but don't know if Dayton is included in that).

As for your video issue, have you tried using a different input cable besides HDMI to determine if the cause might be the HDMI port on your receiver or your TV? If you still have the issue with another type of cable, it could very well be the receiver is having issues and you can get it replaced. Have you tried another receiver at the TV with HDMI? This could tell you if the problem is the receiver or the TV.

HTH,
Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,037 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Two separate questions/issues in your post.

1. Warranty. Yes. Receivers and DVRs are mostly leased and if they fail they will be replaced for cost of shipping (without protection plan) or for nothing (with protection plan).

2. TV Display. Probably something to do with the collective combination of adjustments between the DVR and the TV. Check all of the display and HD settings on the DVR in setup. Make sure only the correct resolutions are checked (those that your TV supports). Try native on and off and see if that makes a noticeable difference. On your TV, make sure resolution is set to agree with DVR, and also that you don't have the picture set to stretch, zoom, or some other non-standard setting.

And I see The Merg beat me to the post ... with almost identical words :lol:

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

And I see The Merg beat me to the post ... with almost identical words :lol:

That would be with more words, too... :lol:

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

Actually, even LEASED receivers from DirecTV come with a warranty.

If anything goes wrong within 90 DAYS of getting ANY DirecTV receiver activated, it will be replaced at NO CHARGE, even if you don't have the "protection plan". And it won't extend your commitment further.

If you get a leased receiver replaced without the protection plan, you will pay $20 S & H and it will reset your 2 year commitment BUT if that replaced receiver FAILS within 90 days it will be replaced at no charge and will not add additional time to your commitment.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

Actually, even LEASED receivers from DirecTV come with a warranty.

If anything goes wrong within 90 DAYS of getting ANY DirecTV receiver activated, it will be replaced at NO CHARGE, even if you don't have the "protection plan". And it won't extend your commitment further.

If you get a leased receiver replaced without the protection plan, you will pay $20 S & H and it will reset your 2 year commitment BUT if that replaced receiver FAILS within 90 days it will be replaced at no charge and will not add additional time to your commitment.

Acutally, the receivers don't come with a warranty anymore. They used to have the 90 day warranty, but not anymore.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

Acutally, the receivers don't come with a warranty anymore. They used to have the 90 day warranty, but not anymore.

- Merg

So you are saying that if you spend $20 and get a clunker reconditioned receiver replacement that breaks down in 2 weeks you get hit another $20 to replace it? I think not.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Not true. They may erroneously change your comittment end date which has been reported both with and without the protection plan, but replacing a defective leased receiver does not extend your comittment.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Not true. They may erroneously change your comittment end date which has been reported both with and without the protection plan, but replacing a defective leased receiver does not extend your comittment.

If they extend your commitment, right or wrong, they've extended your commitment. DIRECTV CSRs have done it on a disturbingly regular basis so it doesn't help anyone's cause to suggest that they don't.

#10 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

If they extend your commitment, right or wrong, they've extended your commitment. DIRECTV CSRs have done it on a disturbingly regular basis so it doesn't help anyone's cause to suggest that they don't.

you want to talk about helping anyones cause?
get directv, dump dish, then offer a perspective based on experience not a desire to stir things up.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

Why don't you actually read before you post your trolling crap?
I didn't suggest that the CSRs don't wrongly extend them. In fact, I specifically stated that they might. But the fact of the matter remains, "Replacing a defective leased receiver without the protection plan" as was posted, DOES NOT extend it, only the CSR acting incorrectly does. Furthermore, in the cases where it was wrongly extended, most have posted that it was not difficult to have the issue corrected.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#12 OFFLINE   corpx

corpx

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

So is the PP worth it?

We've had DirecTV for 2 months now and are thinking about getting the PP after the third month. (installer warrantied it for the first 3 months)
HR22
R22 (with HD)
D12

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

So is the PP worth it?

We've had DirecTV for 2 months now and are thinking about getting the PP after the third month. (installer warrantied it for the first 3 months)

This really comes down to a personal choice. The plan covers everything from the remote to the dish.
I do my own work, have spares for most things, so I don't have it.
Others aren't like me and have it. :)
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

I also do all my own work, but I have the PP. I don't want to worry about trying to do an alignment on my dish or paying to replace a bad LNB or multisitch (both of which I've had done under the PP). Also, I have several owned receivers and don't want any hassles with havign them replaced if they fail (which I have also had done). It only costs me $6/mo, which is only about 4% of my overall D* bill.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

So you are saying that if you spend $20 and get a clunker reconditioned receiver replacement that breaks down in 2 weeks you get hit another $20 to replace it? I think not.

Technically, yes, but DirecTV will usually just wave the shipping fee if the replacements are that close together.

Per the Equipment Lease Agreement:

CARE OF EQUIPMENT.

You are responsible for the loss of or any damage to the DIRECTV equipment that you have leased from DIRECTV. You shall have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, remove, relocate, alter or tamper with the DIRECTV equipment at any time. DIRECTV PROVIDES YOU THE DIRECTV EQUIPMENT AS IS, AND MAKES NO WARRANTY, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE DIRECTV EQUIPMENT PROVIDED TO YOU. ALL SUCH WARRANTIES INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED. DIRECTV IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RELATING TO THE DIRECTV EQUIPMENT PROVIDED TO YOU. In the event the DIRECTV equipment you have leased from DIRECTV does not operate, contact DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

fwiw they have waived $20 fee for me replacing 2 hr20-100 and 2 hr21 units (refurbed) that failed out of the box. ironically these last 2 were the replacements for the hr20 units.
so has been 4 shipments with fee waived.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#17 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Press the format button a bunch of times and see if the picture comes in. Probably the wrong res for your tv.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

you want to talk about helping anyones cause?
get directv, dump dish, then offer a perspective based on experience not a desire to stir things up.

Those who subscribe only to DIRECTV cannot offer "perspective".

#19 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,037 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Those who subscribe only to DIRECTV cannot offer "perspective".

How can someone offer "perspective" on equipment or service they are not experienced with?

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

How can someone offer "perspective" on equipment or service they are not experienced with?

You don't have to own a device or subscribe to a service to have experience with it.

I rented a Hyundai Elantra this past week and believe that I can say that I have plenty of experience with that model. I feel now that I can competently compare it to other vehicles that I've used.

Perspective is comparing the two sides and understanding the differences. If you only have experience with one, you lack a basis for perspective. The fact that this forum exists is proof that "ownership" or a subscription doesn't equate to experience.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...