Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com Exclusive First Look: Cisco/Linksys WET610N

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Posted Image

DBSTalk.com is proud to present this first look at support for the WET610N Wireless Ethernet Bridge in DIRECTV receivers!

WET610N First Look (pdf)

Thanks to alebob911, Movieman, Drew2K, Greg Alsobrook, Huskie_2009 and the whole test team!

Please note that you may require the latest version of the free Adobe Reader, available at http://www.adobe.com, to view this document. Third-party readers, including Mac OS X Preview, may not display properly.

Please note that some DBSTalk.com testers and staff members may have received free equipment from DIRECTV or its partners for the purpose of evaluation and testing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

Great job on the First Look, and also to the test team!

The WET610N is indeed a nice "N" class unit, and will only help those who are looking for solid wireless network connectivity.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 964 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

Great job on the First Look, and also to the test team!

The WET610N is indeed a nice "N" class unit, and will only help those who are looking for solid wireless network connectivity.

I think my wrt320n in client bridge mode is better because 320n has a 5 port gigabit siwtch. the wet610n and the wga600n only have 1 100mb ethernet port which means it can't go as fast as 300mb or 600mb.

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

I think my wrt320n in client bridge mode is better because 320n has a 5 port gigabit siwtch. the wet610n and the wga600n only have 1 100mb ethernet port which means it can't go as fast as 300mb or 600mb.

Maybe, maybe not....the port difference alone wouldn't necessarily make anything "better".

Point 2 - the WET610N installed at this location is running at 300Mbps right now here.

Also...a cost comparison comes into play.

So I'm not sure I could agree with much of your statement.

#5 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 964 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Maybe, maybe not....the port difference alone wouldn't necessarily make anything "better".

Point 2 - the WET610N installed at this location is running at 300Mbps right now here.

Also...a cost comparison comes into play.

So I'm not sure I could agree with much of your statement.

because the wet610n can only do 100mb ethernet the max speed is really 100mbps. because my 320n has gigabit ethernet it can reach full n speeds.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

I think the WET610N is a better fit for DIRECTV to add to their DVR. If you're using a 320N then you're probably more of an advanced user and don't need them to hold your hand through the configuration process.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

because the wet610n can only do 100mb ethernet the max speed is really 100mbps. because my 320n has gigabit ethernet it can reach full n speeds.

Note that even with your 320n...you are still limited to the 100/10 Ethernet on the HD DVR port side...

But rest assured...I have 300Mbps running between the WEET610N and my router at this very moment - see attached photo.

I am running a "G" at 54Mbps and the WET at the same time, so you can see the differences in results in the picture itself.

Attached Thumbnails

• WET610N.JPG

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Couple of things .. The WET610N support is integrated into the receiver. You can set it up with your remote. Secondly, the HR2x only has a 100mbps port .. Gig Ethernet is not relevant.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 964 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Note that even with your 320n...you are still limited to the 100/10 Ethernet on the HD DVR port side...

But rest assured...I have 300Mbps running between the WEET610N and my router at this very moment - see attached photo.

I am running a "G" at 54Mbps and the WET at the same time, so you can see the differences in results in the picture itself.

the dvr will transfer at only 100mbps

#10 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I was just getting ready to say that but a little to slow on the typing!:lol:

Couple of things .. The WET610N support is integrated into the receiver. You can set it up with your remote. Secondly, the HR2x only has a 100mbps port .. Gig Ethernet is not relevant.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

the dvr will transfer at only 100mbps

Actually, I don't even think it uses that much to stream video .. As for the WET610N, you can rest assured that DIRECTV did due diligence in choosing this adapter. The WET610N is a very good device and is the right one for the task.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Actually, I don't even think it uses that much to stream video .. As for the WET610N, you can rest assured that DIRECTV did due diligence in choosing this adapter. The WET610N is a very good device and is the right one for the task.

Agreed...reliability, steady streaming, and compatibility are 3 key benefits.

#13 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

This is a good review of the WET610N. The install using your HR2x is pretty simple. Note that Linksys has a firmware update out that folks may want to install.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#14 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 964 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:43 AM

This is a good review of the WET610N. The install using your HR2x is pretty simple. Note that Linksys has a firmware update out that folks may want to install.

if you plugged the wet610n into a gigabit switch to connect other devices to the network the other devices even ones that support gigabit ethernet would still be limited to 100mbps wireless transfer rate.

Edited by dorfd1, 23 October 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

if you plugged the wet610n into a gigabit switch to connect other devices to the network the other devices even ones that support gigabit ethernet would still be limited to 100mbps wireless transfer rate.

And the HR2x uses what? maybe 20mbps? Does it matter?

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

As always, very nice First Looks. :)

I like that there's no CDs/software to install. Plug it into the receiver and it's supported. Just set it up with the remote and you're on your way. Very Cool. :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   argonaut

argonaut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the review.

I have been using the Linksys WGA600N for about a year with no issues. It is directly connected to an HR21-700. Is anyone able to compare the WET610N with the WGA600N?

Additionally, one thing I am interested in is placing a small switch between the WET610N and my networked AV equipment to eliminate a few cables. They are all UTP CAT6 connections except for the HR21 (on the WGA600N). Since the WET610N is a true bridge unlike the WGA600N there is no reason it should care about multiple MAC addresses passing through it, as it really does not have to do anything smart. In the switch I would connect my Blu-ray player, my Network Video player, and my HTPC. The cables are all run through the sub-floor but less cables would make the SO happy. Obviously using more than one of those at a time for streaming video might impact performance. Anyone tried this yet?

P.S. I know the wired connections will be faster, more reliable, etc.

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

If the WGA600N is working well for you already, there may not be a reason to swap it out. However, the WET610N will give a longer range and overall better performance. The thing is though if performance needs are already met, do you want to spend the money again? :shrug:

If you don't have an adapter yet, then definitely take the WET610N over the WGA600N.

#19 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 964 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

And the HR2x uses what? maybe 20mbps? Does it matter?

yes if you had a computer hooked up to the same tv as the hd dvr is hooked up to and that computer supported gigabit ethernet.

Thanks for the review.

I have been using the Linksys WGA600N for about a year with no issues. It is directly connected to an HR21-700. Is anyone able to compare the WET610N with the WGA600N?

Additionally, one thing I am interested in is placing a small switch between the WET610N and my networked AV equipment to eliminate a few cables. They are all UTP CAT6 connections except for the HR21 (on the WGA600N). Since the WET610N is a true bridge unlike the WGA600N there is no reason it should care about multiple MAC addresses passing through it, as it really does not have to do anything smart. In the switch I would connect my Blu-ray player, my Network Video player, and my HTPC. The cables are all run through the sub-floor but less cables would make the SO happy. Obviously using more than one of those at a time for streaming video might impact performance. Anyone tried this yet?

P.S. I know the wired connections will be faster, more reliable, etc.

any adapter that allows you to connect a device with an ethernet port on it is a bridge.

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

yes if you had a computer hooked up to the same tv as the hd dvr is hooked up to and that computer supported gigabit ethernet.

You have different needs than what this device is designed for .. Apples and Oranges here.

If all you need is wireless connectivity to your HR2x, the WET610N is the right way to go. That being said, it's not the only way. If you already have hardware that works and you don't want to spend more money then yeah, use what you have. Nothing wrong with that.

spam firewall