Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disney System to Bypass DVD Ownership

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

I think we all knew this was coming but the real publicity is starting. From MediaBuyerPlanner:

Disney is expected to unveil technology next month that will give consumers “access rights” to movies and TV shows, allowing them to pay a single price for permanent access to content across the web, mobile devices, and cable services that allow on-demand viewing.

The technology, known as Keychest, allows users to purchase rights to a movie from a participating store, and the user’s accounts with other participating services, such as mobile providers or VOD cable services, show the content as available for viewing, the Wall Street Journal reports. The movies reside with the particular delivery company, and the user can access the movie from any device. This could mean an end to the necessity of owning of physical DVDs.

The thing is Netflix CEO praised this system in his quarterly conference call. From the original Wall Street Journal article:

...The competing DECE effort is being assembled by a consortium headed by Mitch Singer, the chief technology officer of Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures Entertainment. DECE, announced just over a year ago, includes five major Hollywood studios, plus tech companies like Comcast Corp. and Intel Corp.

...Disney executives concede that the Keychest and DECE have similar goals. But they argue their effort represents a more streamlined approach. Instead of designing a new set of standards and formats, as DECE is trying to do, and having participants sign on, Keychest works using a combination of digital file formats that are already common, and recognized by a wide range of existing devices.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

I think this a good option for those who want to use it, but I still don't see DVD or BRD media going away anytime soon. For one thing, you can't put very many movies on portable devices, at least not with BRD or even DVD quality. If you have to rely on an Internet connection, then that's going to be a problem if it goes down or ISP's "throttle" bandwidth. And just because Disney is on this bandwagon doesn't mean it's going to be successful. Remember FlexPlay, the self-destructing 48-hour discs?

#3 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

Echo's of the origin DiVX model.

And in the same regard, what happens when that company goes out of business? (not saying Disney, but others that might join in).
And there is no one to validate the access rights, similar to a lot of software packages that used online validation and those servers don't exist to validate keys anymore.

spam firewall