Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question About Locals

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

I live in an area (Jonesboro, AR) that does not receive locals from DirecTV. I remember when we first came on to DirecTV 2.5 years ago they mentioned that we could purchase locals from another area for $3 per channel and they would give us two $3 credits for those channels. We didn't take them up on the offer because we could get the locals in HD for little already.

Well, now we have moved and our current locals provider is not only more expense, they do not offer HD channels at all. Actually, Jonesboro really only has one local, KAIT (ABC) as the other locals are through Memphis and Little Rock.

I've been told that it is next to impossible to get an ABC channel through DirecTV due to the fact that KAIT is in my area. That's fine though as I can get KAIT though an antenna but due to the geographic location of my house it will not pick up channels out of Memphis and Little Rock and CBS/FOX/NBC are the ones I want most. I've heard it is possible to get these channels but not easy.

My question is, would this be possible? What are people talking about when they say it is impossible or difficult to get locals filtered in? What are the processes to get this? Any information is greatly appreciated. TIA

#2 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

the process they are referring to is most likely the waiver option for DNS channels. If D* does not provide LIL (Local in Locals) in your area, and you cannot receive any kind of decent signal through an off-air antenna, then you are eligible to submit a waiver request for the feeds from LA/NY.

Now, I'd recommend FIRST to try here (http://www.directv.c...80022#h:586.399 ) to submit a waiver. Others have reported the waiver process online is much faster then submitting it through a CSR.
If all else fails, you can call in and request a DNS waiver. Be warned though, they will tell you it can take up to 30 days for a response to come back.. (its usually a little sooner than that though) Good luck!
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#3 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Well I put my request in online so we'll see what happens I guess. The option I chose when they asked for reason of this request was heavily wooded area and that's part of the cause but the other reason is I live in a house that sits toward the bottom of a hill surrounded by 60-70 foot tall oak, elm, and pine trees. This really affects what an antenna can do and I just don't think I should have to pay $50 a month for locals from my local service provider. That's a bit ridiculous.

#4 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Well just three days after filing a waiver request online I was granted FOX-HD out of New York. My other three requests are still pending though.

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

the process they are referring to is most likely the waiver option for DNS channels. If D* does not provide LIL (Local in Locals) in your area, and you cannot receive any kind of decent signal through an off-air antenna, then you are eligible to submit a waiver request for the feeds from LA/NY.
Now, I'd recommend FIRST to try here (http://www.directv.c...80022#h:586.399 ) to submit a waiver. Others have reported the waiver process online is much faster then submitting it through a CSR.
If all else fails, you can call in and request a DNS waiver. Be warned though, they will tell you it can take up to 30 days for a response to come back.. (its usually a little sooner than that though) Good luck!

Thats not true. I dont get locals from D* but live in a grade A signal area but I have been able to get DNS feeds for ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, and CW for east and west coast SD feed. Its harder to get one approved if you can get OTA reception but not impossible.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Well just three days after filing a waiver request online I was granted FOX-HD out of New York. My other three requests are still pending though.

Hopefully you'll get granted on all of them. Jonesboro city is just outside the grade A coverage of the Memphis stations and well out of Little Rock's reach from what I understand. So unless you live in Marked Tree or Trumann now you should be OK.

Good luck!

#7 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hopefully you'll get granted on all of them. Jonesboro city is just outside the grade A coverage of the Memphis stations and well out of Little Rock's reach from what I understand. So unless you live in Marked Tree or Trumann now you should be OK.

Good luck!

I doubt I get ABC as KAIT, this area's ABC affiliate is in my area and the rest of the locals are out of Memphis and Little Rock. I have heard KAIT never grants waivers. We'll see though.

#8 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have a friend who lives in my area that gets Little Rock channels filtered in to him. He said that he just called DirecTV and told them that he moved and used the address of his mother that is actually in Little Rock.

Does this work?

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

I'm sorry, we do not allow discussion of that type. It violates your customer agreement. Please go back to the original topic... I would prefer to keep this thread open.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

I'm sorry, we do not allow discussion of that type. It violates your customer agreement. Please go back to the original topic... I would prefer to keep this thread open.

I apologize for posting that as I did not know. My other three requests are still pending. Was hoping to have them for the Eagles game on Sunday night. Do these ever get approved over the weekend?

#11 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

I was denied for the other three. :mad::confused::(

#12 OFFLINE   Lodi25

Lodi25

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

Did you get my PM I sent you?

#13 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

OK, because of STELA I decided to try to request my locals channels once again from DirecTV. As stated in this thread, I already was granted Fox but denied ABC, CBS, and NBC. I went back to the DirecTV website to try to request these channels again after nearly a year and the only one that are available to select are ABC and CW, which my city has a local affiliate for (KAIT). There are no other channels there to choose from besides these. Why can I not choose NBC and CBS? Does STELA have something to do with this?

#14 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

OK, because of STELA I decided to try to request my locals channels once again from DirecTV. As stated in this thread, I already was granted Fox but denied ABC, CBS, and NBC. I went back to the DirecTV website to try to request these channels again after nearly a year and the only one that are available to select are ABC and CW, which my city has a local affiliate for (KAIT). There are no other channels there to choose from besides these. Why can I not choose NBC and CBS? Does STELA have something to do with this?

Actually, you don't have to go the DNS route for NBC and CBS.

DirecTV is adding HD locals for Jonesboro next year. Until they are actually added, they are providing DNS feeds of NBC, Fox, CBS, and PBS to everyone in your market who adds local channels to their current package.

#15 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

DirecTV is adding HD locals for Jonesboro next year. Until they are actually added, they are providing DNS feeds of NBC, Fox, CBS, and PBS to everyone in your market who adds local channels to their current package.

Where did you get this information from? I must have missed it. What locals will they be providing? How do I get the current DNS feeds because I don't see them on any of the 5 sets I have in my home. Thanks for the update! :)

#16 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Where did you get this information from? I must have missed it. What locals will they be providing? How do I get the current DNS feeds because I don't see them on any of the 5 sets I have in my home. Thanks for the update! :)

The channels will show up between 61 and 65. MPEG-4 equipment is required, so if you don't have HD you may need equipment upgrades.

The initial information for Jonesboro was posted here.

We don't know yet which channels they will be providing, but the info on the currently-offered distant networks is here: http://www.directv.com/locals

The list of markets coming soon is here: http://www.directv.com/hdlocals

#17 OFFLINE   freerein100

freerein100

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

I am in an announced market and get the 60's CBSHD ABCHD PBS and CWe and also get all the Distant channels in the 390's plus PBS and CW SD.......SHHH don't tell anyone;) PS they were all turned on when I activated locals on my account. Do all people in the announced markets get the HD DNS's

Edited by freerein100, 29 July 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks again! So would it be a bad idea to call and cancel the FOX HD DNS feed I am currently paying for?

#19 OFFLINE   NASCR2424

NASCR2424

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

What about Alexandria, LA? Like Jonesboro the website shows "2011". Can I call and get the locals added and get DNS of ABC, FOX, CW, and PBS? the only local affiliates is NBC and CBS so I assume I couldn't get them till there launched and still need OTA.
1 - HR20-100
1 - HR21-700
2 - H23-600
1 - D12
1 - AM21

#20 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Thanks again! So would it be a bad idea to call and cancel the FOX HD DNS feed I am currently paying for?

I would make sure you don't have any issues adding them as locals first. Once the channels in the 60s are working, then I would be more comfortable getting rid of the DNS feed.

I would caution if you have any interest in keeping FOX HD DNS after locals launch there (I believe you can be grandfathered now), you would have to continue paying for it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...