Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question About Locals

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

What about Alexandria, LA? Like Jonesboro the website shows "2011". Can I call and get the locals added and get DNS of ABC, FOX, CW, and PBS? the only local affiliates is NBC and CBS so I assume I couldn't get them till there launched and still need OTA.

They currently aren't offering anything like this in Alexandria. In Jonesboro, there were fewer obstacles for them creating a deal for multiple DNS feeds (there's only a local ABC and PBS in that market). With Alexandria on the other hand, there's an affiliate for all of the major networks, and they would have to work out deals with the individual stations to allow the DNS feeds in lieu of the local feed. That's a much harder deal to work out. Although, this has happened in a couple other markets, so all hope isn't lost.

I would keep checking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

OK, I checked 60's channels and it says I have not purchased these channels. Is there something else I am missing that I need to change?

#23 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

OK, I checked 60's channels and it says I have not purchased these channels. Is there something else I am missing that I need to change?

Yes. You need the version of your base package that includes local channels. Check your bill. If it says "XX-no locals" then you need to change it to the version of your package that has locals (if it is Choice, Choice Xtra or Premier). I don't deal with programming that much so I'm not sure if you will have to change to the latest package or just have local channels added on at $3.00 (if it is Total Choice or Total Choice Plus). The best thing to do is call in.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#24 OFFLINE   Jakz34

Jakz34

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

I would make sure you don't have any issues adding them as locals first. Once the channels in the 60s are working, then I would be more comfortable getting rid of the DNS feed.

I would caution if you have any interest in keeping FOX HD DNS after locals launch there (I believe you can be grandfathered now), you would have to continue paying for it.

I apologize for my ignorance but what exactly do you mean in that last statement? If you have locals, what's the point of keeping DNS feeds? Grandfathered into what?

Thanks for all your help. It is very appreciated.

spam firewall