Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not good customer service ...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JTWestside

JTWestside

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

I hate to rant, but this needed to be said. Something was seriously not right with the call I just had with DirecTV's service center.

The issue I'm having is that my DVR over the past couple of weeks has developed some sort of fan issue. Either a sensor is telling it that the box is hot and the fan is on high all the time, or the fan has a ball bearing loose ... or something. All I know is that ALL THE TIME there is a whining noise coming from the box, the only thing that stops it is to unplug it from the wall. It almost drowns out the TV at the very least makes it unpleasant to watch.

A couple of things first off ... I've had this HR20-100 since march 08 so I think I would know what it sounds like in my own house. I have also had the protection plan.

So I call and get the protection plan CSR. She walks me through unplugging the box and letting it restart ... the whole time repeating that the HD boxes are louder because they have a harddrive. After it's done restarting she asks if it's still, so I tell her yes it is. Then she asked if I could hold the phone to it, which I did. Then she told me she couldn't hear anything?!?!

This is about 10-15 minutes in and I'm getting frustrated, because by this point I must have heard "well the HDDVR have a tenancy to be a bit louder because they have a hard-drive disk" (yes that's exactly what she said) about 20 times. The thing is all of the receivers I've ever had have had a "hard drive disk" all the way back to about 2004 and my first tivo. So I just asked for a tech to come out so they could hear for themselves ... not an option .. so I asked for a super.

Went through the whole thing again about how this thing has been in my house for over a year, this isn't the way it "normally" sounds ... still would not send a tech without me paying.

This is seriously the worst experience I've ever had with DTV. They were rude and infuriating.

Makes me wonder why I'm paying for the protection plan. From a purely CS standpoint ... if I were with the local cable co I could have just taken the box and swapped it out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Unplug the box. Then call and tell them you can't get it to turn on.

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

I had hr20-100 fan start to smoke on me after these symptoms.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

Yes, smoke or a "burning electronics smell" would definitely be a reason for them to immediately replace the DVR. ;)

#5 OFFLINE   Knowledge

Knowledge

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

Unplug the box. Then call and tell them you can't get it to turn on.

I concure with this statement.

1 HR23-700 (owned)networked hard wired
1 R16-500 (owned)
3 D12-500 (owned)
SWiM Networked
Comcast 10Mb connection (Grandfathered in at $25)
40in 1080p Toshiba Regza HDMI

spam firewall