Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What Is A B Band Converter?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricHilton1987

EricHilton1987

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi, I just bought a directv box from someone and they gave me something called B Band Converter (BBC) Module. for KA-LO band up conversion.

I have no idea what this is. Can anyone explain what it is to me in lamen terms =)
What is the purpose of the thing...
Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:01 AM

When they originally built their receivers they had a frequency range they were using. The tuners inside the receivers only look for this range. They received approval to use a different set of frequencies and it was outside the range of the tuners inside. The BBC (B Band Converters) change the frequency from ones the receiver cannot see to one it can.

#3 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

You put the BBC thing in line with the incoming signal cable. BBC screws into the box's satellite input, cable screws into the BBC.

These are used with the H2x and HR2x line of recevers and DVRs (and some other non-HD ones), except for the HR23 which doesn't need them.

If the box is a DVR you need two of them, one for each of the two satellite inputs.

You bought the box from a guy? As in, bought it used from somebody? Uh-oh. Chances are very good that 1) he was not legally allowed to sell it and 2) you won't be able to activate it. A huge majority of DirecTV boxes are leased, not purchased, and they don't actually belong to the subscriber, and cannot be sold or transferred. (This is true even if the person paid $100-200 when they got the box - it is still not owned by them.) There are exceptions to this, and possibly you are OK, but I would certainly call DirecTV with the receiver ID number and check it out.

Keith

#4 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

When they originally built their receivers they had a frequency range they were using. The tuners inside the receivers only look for this range. They received approval to use a different set of frequencies and it was outside the range of the tuners inside. The BBC (B Band Converters) change the frequency from ones the receiver cannot see to one it can.

I think the reason the different set of frequencies came about is because DTV leases bandwidth from a second satellite located at 103 (actually, 102.8). If you look at Lyngsat.com it shows the D10 and Spaceway 1 satellites co-located at 102.8 degrees West. The transponder frequencies for these two satellites is more than 1,000 MHz apart. It looks to me that this was too much for the receivers to handle, so the BBC is used to switch between Lo (D10 satellite) and Hi (Spaceway 1) frequencies.

A similar situation exists at 99.2 degrees West.

#5 OFFLINE   timekeeper

timekeeper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Proprietory Equipment........
"You want my service, buy my Equipment"

DTV could have done the same with standard DBS Equip. but this promotes customer loyalty so-to-speak.

As explained earlier......it's a frequency converter.

spam firewall