Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ClearQAM and Directv?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Can I combine ClearQAM signals from Cable TV with Directv via diplexers? My setup consists of the following equipment: 1 Slimline-3 (not SWM) with 4 coaxial cables going to various Directv receivers. The LCD TV that I want to view the ClearQAM channels has a H23 receiver fed with HDMI. I would like to split out the signals at the end point through the use of a diplexer with one side going to the H23 and the other side to the LCD TV for ClearQAM viewing. Is this scenario possible or do ClearQAM signals share the same frequency spectrum as Directv equipment?

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

NO

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

I believe the QAM channels are in the same frequency range as analog cable. And thus, will also interfere with the Ka band of DirecTV channels.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

I believe the QAM channels are in the same frequency range as analog cable. And thus, will also interfere with the Ka band of DirecTV channels.

In few'er words--NO

:lol:

#5 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

NO

'No' for combining the signals or 'No' to the question about ClearQAM signals sharing the same frequency spectrum as Directv? Can you elaborate on these questions with something other than a simple one word answer?

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

NO means NO. No reason to explain try searching if you need more detailed answer it has been explained many many many times.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

If this is true, how is it that today I can send analog channels 3 and 4 over the same coax as my incoming sat signal using diplexers and get no interference on any channels? BTW, I moved my BBC's to the dish side of the diplexer.

EDIT: Just noticed the OP has an H23. You've got to have a receiver with external BBC's to make diplexing work, which the H23 doesn't have.

Edited by mdavej, 28 October 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   whitepelican

whitepelican

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

'No' for combining the signals or 'No' to the question about ClearQAM signals sharing the same frequency spectrum as Directv? Can you elaborate on these questions with something other than a simple one word answer?

No, you can't diplex the signals. Yes, they share the same frequency band.

If you were using a SWM setup or even a receiver that required BBC's (just about any other one than the H23/HR23), you could diplex the signal in.

#9 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

NO means NO. No reason to explain try searching if you need more detailed answer it has been explained many many many times.

Huh? The reason for the original post was to find an answer that gives specific details about QAM and Directv. I performed several searches here on DBSTalk and Google and didn't find a good answer to the questions posted. If you can't answer the question, please stop wasting my time with useless posts.

#10 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

No, you can't diplex the signals. Yes, they share the same frequency band.

If you were using a SWM setup or even a receiver that required BBC's (just about any other one than the H23/HR23), you could diplex the signal in.

Thank you Whitepelican - I appreciate your straight forward response. I was wondering about the issue of the built-in BBC on the H23. Maybe I'll give it a whirl on my HR22 (with external BBCs).

#11 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

Technically you can diplex some cable frequencies into a H-23 w/o interference.

KA low is 250 to 750 MHz.

Channel 3/4 work since they are 61.25 and 67.25 MHz video carrier.
In fact:

TV 2 - 6 : 55.25 to 83.25 MHz
Cable 95 - 99 : 91.25 to 115.25 MHz
Cable 14 - 22 : 121.25 to 169.25 MHZ
TV 7 - 13 : 175.25 to 211.25 MHz

can be inserted into line w/o "interfering" with satellite.

This , however, realistically would have to be done with modulators and to get HD modulators for several channels would be very expensive. ie 1000's per channel.

Diplexing with SWM can and is done on MDU systems but is not a residentially approved setup. By the way, although an OTA port is available on the SWM-8 unit it is advisable to diplex outside of the SWM unit.

Doctor j

edit:
As a trial one might get a band pass filter , cut out above 250 MHz, insert it into cable line before diplexer.
Split out signal at tv and scan to see what you get.
Many cable systems are different in where they put signals and you might get "Lucky" and tune what you want.

Edited by doctor j, 28 October 2009 - 03:22 PM.
additional info

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#12 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

Wow, that's a bit over the top. :nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

As a trial one might get a band pass filter , cut out above 250 MHz, insert it into cable line before diplexer.

That would be a "low-pass" filter.

In any case, DIRECTV recommends against diplexing. Given the all-to-flexible bandwidth usage of CATV, it is wise to keep it well away from a satellite system.

#14 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

http://www.tinlee.co...ive=1#LP7-video

These people can make you anything you need.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#15 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

That would be a "low-pass" filter.

"AS IF" a bandpass that blocks below 50 MHz wouldn't do the same thing. :nono:

Edited by veryoldschool, 29 October 2009 - 12:34 PM.
n't

A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   MatthewTheRaven

MatthewTheRaven

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

I can't speak for non SWM setups, but with the SWM it might be easier...

I have Atlantic Broadband for my cable modem and they don't filter out the the ClearQAM digital channels even if you have internet-only service. I have a SWMLine dish and diplexed the ClearQAM into the single line and diplexed it back out at each TV and it actually works great. I did it with full knowledge that it might/probably not work, but for me it ended up working perfectly.

HR24-500 | Samsung HL-T6187 | DECA
HR24-500 | Sony KD-34XBR960 | DECA
H24-100 | JVC AV-27D305 | DECA
Slimline Dish w/ SWM-LNB3

#17 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

This could be accomplished a lot easier if Directv would put a QAM tuner in their STBs (and the appropriate software). Yeah, you'd have to run an addition line, but then you wouldn't have to change inputs, and could use the DVR functions.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

This could be accomplished a lot easier if Directv would put a QAM tuner in their STBs (and the appropriate software). Yeah, you'd have to run an addition line, but then you wouldn't have to change inputs, and could use the DVR functions.

Why would they do that since the only ones that use QAM is cable? That makes no sense from a business standpoint whatsoever. Thats like asking Comcast to add a D* tuner into their STB's.

#19 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Why would they do that since the only ones that use QAM is cable? That makes no sense from a business standpoint whatsoever. Thats like asking Comcast to add a D* tuner into their STB's.

Well, if they had added QAM tuners a few years ago, they could possibly have saved some customers. With a $10 lifeline from your local cable company, you can get your locals in HD. Since Directv doesn't offer every HD local in the U.S., this is technically a way around it. I know of quite a few people that went with Dish because they had our locals in HD for the past year and half, which Directv just provided last month.

Also, during heavy storms, when rain-fade takes out your signal, one could always fall back on the locals via QAM.

Obviously not a must have feature, but it would still be a feature (which wouldn't cost them much) that no other TV provider offers.

If Directv ever released their HTPC tuner (not holding my breath), one could have Directv programming, QAM, and ATSC all under a single interface.

#20 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

i have the same setup, but with HR20 in the living room and my old D11 connected to my regular SD TV upstairs. all four lines from the dish come into my basement to a WB68.

can i diplex in the cable signal to the D11? would i need to put a BBC on the line first?

spam firewall