Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I recently got DTV why no MSG in Hartford????

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpatbrown

jpatbrown

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

went to watch Rangers/Islanders and says blacked out, what gives??? We got MSg on Comcast? I thought I was in their area, I get SNY and YES and the Boston ones I got, anybody know???? Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

went to watch Rangers/Islanders and says blacked out, what gives??? We got MSg on Comcast? I thought I was in their area, I get SNY and YES and the Boston ones I got, anybody know???? Thanks

Plug in your zip code at http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3000004 and it will tell you what RSN's you're supposed to receive. I put in a zip for Hartford and it doesn't list MSG as one that you'd receive.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P3000004

Put in your zip code on that page and it will tell you what RSNs you get.

#4 OFFLINE   DirectNJ

DirectNJ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

When I lived in CT, you had to add the Sports Pack to get all the NY & Boston RSN's... (But the Whalers were still playing in Hartford @ the time)....

#5 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

My folks live in Mystic, CT and they get MSG. It's hard to believe that Hartford isn't in the same area.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

It is NOT available from Direct in the Hartford area. My Zip in Ct also shows as not available from Direct, but I do get it from Dish.

#7 OFFLINE   wismile

wismile

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Wow...I get MSGHD in East Hampton (less than half an hour from Hartford). The rules governing sports channels are ridiculous! :mad:
Panasonic TH-58PZ850u
Toshiba 32AV502u
Sony KV-40XBR800
Yamaha VX-861 AV Receiver
Sony PS3
(1) HR10-250
(2) HR20-700
(2) HR22-100
Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapters (XAV101)
Ka/Ku 5 LNB Dish w/(2) Zinwell WB68 6x8 Multi-Switches
Channel Master 4228 w/CM-7777 Preamp

#8 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

I have a friend that lives very close to hartford and he also got msg next to the other games listed above when he was on cable too. something is wrong here

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

I have a friend that lives very close to hartford and he also got msg next to the other games listed above when he was on cable too. something is wrong here

Something is wrong here. Rules for carriage are different between satellite and cable, and the rules for DMA's are ridiculous as well. DMA's create boundaries, if you live on the edge of a boundary, you could get something your neighbor cant and vice-versa if the boundary is between you and your neighbor, thats just the way it is. If you are a huge sports fan, you need to know the blackout rules and boundaries in your area to know whats available to you by provider.

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

Yep, rules are different between cable and satellite. Thank your congress-critter for that.

If after you put your zip code in, if you find MSG is not available to you on DirecTV then I would contact MSG offices and ask why it's not. They are the ones that give DirecTV and Dish the list of zip codes that can get their channel. So they are the ones that can fix it, assuming it's a mistake (either MSG didn't give DirecTV the proper zip code list or DirecTV has put in the zip code incorrectly).

#11 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

I have a friend who moved from one part of Central NJ to a part of Jersey closer to Philly. He figured he'd just move his DirecTV service as part of the movers package and wouldn't see an issue with his local sports coverage. He's a HUGE Yankees fan and had checked with Comcast and noticed that they received YES so he figured he'd get it at his new location with D*...but that's not the case.

To say he's disappointed is putting it mildly....as well as the fact that the locals he gets, are ALL Philly....not NYC. Yet Comcast provides BOTH Philly AND NYC locals.

Rules and regulations......:nono:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#12 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

I'm just north of Hartford and I get it. MSGhd (634) and MSG+ (635) so it isn't a location issue. I've got the premium package so I can't tell you what package it is in...

#13 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

My folks live in Mystic, CT and they get MSG. It's hard to believe that Hartford isn't in the same area.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.:(

#14 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

If you find MSG is not available to you on DirecTV then I would contact MSG offices and ask why it's not. They are the ones that give DirecTV and Dish the list of zip codes that can get their channel. So they are the ones that can fix it, assuming it's a mistake (either MSG didn't give DirecTV the proper zip code list or DirecTV has put in the zip code incorrectly).

Blame it on the DOLANS:nono2:
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

spam firewall