Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

Not going to do an internal replacement on this device. Just considering adding an external and want to keep the programs and series links on it.

My advice to you if you are planning on doing a copy, you might as well just do an internal replacement since you have the case cracked open anyway. If you didn't wanna open the case, prob just stick with the external but if your gonna go that far might as well just do it. I know on my HR22 there was only 4 more screws to remove the plastic bracket to get the drive out (and temp disconnect the fan, 1 cable which has a clip) Once that is out just a matter of swapping the drive on the bracket (another 4 screws) and putting the bracket back in place and plug the fan back in. I can swap out a drive pretty fast now that I have done it a couple time. The first time I was a lot more careful and took my time but even then it didn't take super long.

My main reason for doing the internal was if the internal was going to be disabled anyway, I might as well just swap the internal. Performance wise I'm not sure if you would gain any vs going external since I have never done external. I already have way 2 much junk up by the tv so I didn't want yet another box and the EVDS drive works awesome (at least so far) as it was designed for dvr use.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:45 AM

My advice to you if you are planning on doing a copy, you might as well just do an internal replacement since you have the case cracked open anyway. If you didn't wanna open the case, prob just stick with the external but if your gonna go that far might as well just do it. I know on my HR22 there was only 4 more screws to remove the plastic bracket to get the drive out (and temp disconnect the fan, 1 cable which has a clip) Once that is out just a matter of swapping the drive on the bracket (another 4 screws) and putting the bracket back in place and plug the fan back in. I can swap out a drive pretty fast now that I have done it a couple time. The first time I was a lot more careful and took my time but even then it didn't take super long.

My main reason for doing the internal was if the internal was going to be disabled anyway, I might as well just swap the internal. Performance wise I'm not sure if you would gain any vs going external since I have never done external. I already have way 2 much junk up by the tv so I didn't want yet another box and the EVDS drive works awesome (at least so far) as it was designed for dvr use.

I have an entirely different reason for deciding to do it the way I have chosen :) If I did not have that reason it would indeed be a straight up swap.

#183 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

I have an entirely different reason for deciding to do it the way I have chosen :) If I did not have that reason it would indeed be a straight up swap.

hmmmm,

The only thing I can think of is you want to record certain things and not have it show on the internal? Not sure why else

#184 OFFLINE   docchaos

docchaos

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Ok. Yep my first post, and yes I have read and searched. (not a forum newbie, but a newbie to this forum)

Quick question....
I would like to upgrade a HR21-100, i don't need to copy anything.
Can i just put a new drive in the unit?
Or if i use an external enclosure, set it up with a new drive, then put the drive internally, would this method work?
Or will I have to follow the copy steps?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

#185 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Yes.
Yes.
No.

#186 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:06 AM

Ok. Yep my first post, and yes I have read and searched. (not a forum newbie, but a newbie to this forum)

Quick question....
I would like to upgrade a HR21-100, i don't need to copy anything.
Can i just put a new drive in the unit?
Or if i use an external enclosure, set it up with a new drive, then put the drive internally, would this method work?
Or will I have to follow the copy steps?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

if you own it, and arent copying any files over, all you have to do is shut it down and swap out the drive. If it is a leased unit, I highly recommend going the external route.

#187 OFFLINE   docchaos

docchaos

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

if you own it, and arent copying any files over, all you have to do is shut it down and swap out the drive. If it is a leased unit, I highly recommend going the external route.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I'm new to DirecTV, but old to DVR hacking. I have upgraded many, many Tivos, so just learning the ropes here.
I have two leased units (HR23-700), so those are going to stay as-is.
I just received an owned unit I bought on ebay, (HR21-100) so this one will get an upgrade.

#188 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

I purchased a 2 port eSATA PCMCIA card for my laptop in order to connect 2 enclosures to copy the drives. The directions state that the big drive should go into SATA Port 0 and the old DVR drive into SATA Port 1.

I haven't removed the drive from the DVR yet but I did connect the big drive and started gParted. The drive shows up as sda3 when connected to 1 port and when I reboot with it connected in the other port it says sda3. How do I tell which is Port 0?

When I plug the big drive and the DVR drive into the PCMCIA card will one appear as /dev/sdb in gParted Devices? If the big drive shows up in devices as /dev/sda and the DVR drive shows up as /dev/sdb then I guess I continue with these directions as written. What if that doesn't happen? If it's backwards, I can shutdown and swap inputs but will that make the drives display in the correct order for the directions here?

I hope to do this tomorrow but I need to know what to expect and how to work around any issues.

#189 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

You probably read that direction wrong. Perhaps you could quote it next time ?

Anyway, the direction is a way to move data, not a way to put your drives on certain ports and stick with device's name what you did read before.

Use to be familiar a little with the environment - Linux; run "fdisk -l" and obtain names of your source and target disks, it would be easy if sizes are different.

#190 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

Post #10

STEP 9 – CONNECTING THE DRIVES TO YOUR COMPUTER
1. In your computer identify SATA Port 0 and SATA Port 1 and the cables that run to them.
2. Connect your BIG & BEEFY NEW drive to SATA Port 0.
3. Connect the tiny old drive to SATA Port 1.

I'm guessing that if connected the way stated above that the bolded references in the directions below would be correct.

Post #11

STEP 10 – COPY THE SUCKER
7. Type in mkdir /mnt/fap and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

8. Type in mkdir /mnt/hr20 and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

9. Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

10. Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20 and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

11. Now the command instructions to copy all your data from one drive to another. At the command prompt type in xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap and press enter. A whole bunch of stuff will scroll on the screen and the last thing it will say is restoring non-directory files.

12. You wait. Patience is a virtue. It will sit at this screen for a long time as it copies the files. There is no progress bar. Overall time will vary depending on how full your drive was. My buddy’s drive had 3% free. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to copy all the data. You’ll feel a little reassured looking at the hard drive LEDs, knowing that something is actually happening.

13. Finally it finishes and a message is displayed that reads Restore Status: SUCCESS. You’re not quite done though.

14. At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/hr20 and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

15. At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/fap and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

With the big drive connected, my gParted screen looks just like the image from Post #11 except my 2 TB shows up as 1.80 TiB. The OP's was 1.35 because he was using a 1.5 TB drive. Here's the image from Post #11.

STEP 10 – COPY THE SUCKER
Posted Image

The simplest way to do this would be to follow the directions given so that one doesn't need to be a Linux expert. However, I realize some users may have multiple or larger drives and the # and sizes in the OP's image may differ. With that said, I was hoping someone could explain what I would need to do to determine which port to plug the drives into so that I got sda and sdb references correct and the bolded commands would work. Or perhaps explain what is happening with the bolded commands above. That way, if the big drive didn't display as sda and the old DVR drive didn't display as sdb then one would be able to change the references in the commands correctly.

#191 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

You don't need to be an expert - basic knowledge and common sense would be enough, but if it still unfamiliar - you could ask a help from your friends for this one time job.

You should understand - sda/sdb/sdc/etc are logical names, it's not written in a stone; you could use them deliberately. Just remember where is the SOURCE drive and where is a TARGET. Hope you know how 'copy' commands working - here it's replaced by a pair xfsdump|xfsrestore ("|" letter is very important part, it's create a bond between those two cmds - a copy will be much easy, but it's not the case). If you are not willing to gather just a few minutes knowledge, well, really - ask for local help.

#192 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

The instructions were written to try to make them as easy as possible for someone with little linux experience. Unfortunately, the logical names may not match up, in your case I'm guessing you didnt remove the laptop drive before you booted to the gparted disk. Many of us with desktops, would disconnect the hard drives in our devices and hook up the drives we are copying to and from, making the only drives in the system before starting the optical drive....and the copy to and copy from drives....

Which is really how you need to think of this. It really doesnt matter which drive is on port 0 or port 1, just that you know which is which and you change the command lines to reflect how you have them hooked up....

The guy that posted the directions was copying the drive from his HR20 to a Seagate FAP, hence he used names called hr20 and fap, he could have just as easily used old and new for the names he chose....one drive will show as the "a" drive, and one will show as the "b" drive, heck if you had other drives in the system they could show up as "c" and "d" for that matter, all you would have to do is replace the a's and b's in the command lines in the appropriate places and it would work fine...

#193 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

Thanks!

Late last night I was able to start this whole process. It took less than an hour to power down the DVR, remove the drive, attach to laptop and get gParted copying the old drive.

I used fdisk -l and df -h and found everything mounted just like the instructions.

This morning it was all done so I unmounted the drives and temporarily put the 2TB in the DVR. I connected the DVR to the TV, powered it up and everything is there (recordings, series, etc.) I'll close it up correctly tonight when I get home.

I went from 20% free to 92% free. Now I won't have to worry about shows dropping off.

Now to go order another 2 TB for the other DVR.

#194 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Very nice tutorial on how to do this upgrade.:joy:

It is so nice to see someone taking the time to create a quality product, or set of instruction in this case.

I do have one suggestion which in the thread somewhere it was brought out but really should be applied to "STEP 10" of the proceedure... For the commands, list it both ways to spell out the spaces or upper/lower case. Example:
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap (mount[space]-t[space]xts[space]-[lower case letter o]o[space]rtdev=/dev/sda3[space]/dev/sda2[space]/mnt/fap)

Do this or something similar for all the commands because it makes a difference that "-o" does not equal "-0", and the spaces matter a lot as well. Linux is not forgiving.

I took my old HR21 and replaced the internal 320GB drive with a nice new (used for 2 months in a NAS to verify reliability first) Samsung 1TB HD103SI. It's super quiet. I'd like to have gone with a drive designed for streaming media but those cost a touch more. Went from 51% full to 90% full. Now I can record my wifes daytime programs in HD since I have the room to spare. Actually this is more than enough room and I will never use it all unless I go on vacation. My family and I do not store recordings for any real length of time. You never know when the DVR will go kaputz. It ould be great to see a utility that moves the recorded programs off into a DVD vob file, eh, we all would like to see that but I'm not holding my breath. Sorry for going off topic.

Again, Great Job!

-Joe
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#195 OFFLINE   CINEROONI

CINEROONI

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

It is a totally different animal from the hr-21...

Can some one point me to a link on how to get the drive replaced please?

#196 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Um... My post is right before yours and I stated I replaced the drive in my HR21. I used the instructions provided here. The instructions are very clear and precise. The disassembly of the box is for the most part the same. I did not disconnect the ribbon cable from the box to the front panel, they are a pain to reinstall at times. I was very carefull and placed the IRD on a few books to elevate it and let the front panel rest on the table. You only ned to access the screws to remove the drive, if you even want to do that.

Are you looking to have someone else do the drive replacement or are you trying to do it? There are authorized shops that will replace your internal drive.

-Joe
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#197 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

There isn't one on DBSTalk.

The Mods stated this in several threads.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#198 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

There isn't one on DBSTalk.

Really ? :rolleyes:

http://www.dbstalk.c...99&postcount=19
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=175966
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177801

#199 OFFLINE   CINEROONI

CINEROONI

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Thanks very much Buddy.

I do own mine from newegg. will try.

#200 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Oh yeah...there was that one guy who decided to share, so that he could stand on the sidelines and watch others destroy their units...;):D

As was pointed out earlier..the HR24's are totally different in assembly and construction that all previous units. You break it , you buy it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall