Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

I was trying to mount the new drive to /mnt/fap and the old one to /mnt/hr20. I didn't have the old drive mapped yet, and I can't get the new drive to map to /mnt/fap.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,739 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

Try 'df' cmd to check the dev/sdx and dev/sdy, perhaps the dev/sdx mounted somehow.

#303 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

I used df -h and /dev/sda was not mounted. I then shut the computer down and moved the SATA cable so the current HD is /dev/sda and the new HD is /dev/sdb and when I try to mount the new drive at /dev/sdb it still tells me it is already mounted. The old drive mounts without issues.

Edited by crendall, 23 October 2010 - 08:11 AM.

#304 OFFLINE   miakica

miakica

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Does Hitachi Deskstar work good as a replacement drive?

http://www.canadacom...&item_id=033291

I still have 2 DVR's to replace hard drives, and I have a problem finding WD drives

Thanks

#305 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

I downloaded gparted 0.3.7-7 and then I was able to mount my new hard drive and I'm now copying from the old hard drive to the new one!

#306 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

I've got my first DVR upgraded to a new HD and now I'm trying to get my other DVR setup with a new hard drive. When I plug the new HD into the DVR to get it to partition the drive I never see the "formatting device" screen and it gets to the "This will take a few minutes" screen with the DirecTV logo and doesn't get any further. I've tried formatting the drive on both of my DVRs but it doesn't seem to be working. I have two of the same drives and the first one worked very well, but the second one is giving me trouble.

Any ideas?

#307 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,739 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

Bad drive. Check its SMART data on PC.

#308 OFFLINE   kof33

kof33

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

I apologize if this is a repeat question. My keyword searches came up empty.

Im still in the process of figuring out the Gparted portion of this. To get ahead of myself is it possible to dump the contents of 2 drives onto one larger drive ?

i.e My current internal and external have shows recorded.
My new 1tb drive has more than enough space to the contents of both.

Would I do this procedure twice. Or is it not possible ?

((both old drives from same Rec.))

#309 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

To get ahead of myself is it possible to dump the contents of 2 drives onto one larger drive ?

It is possible. I tried it here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...477#post2229477

#310 OFFLINE   kof33

kof33

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thank you for the reply and link.

May give it a shot once I see whats actually left on there.

#311 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

If I understand everything (which I doubt) this procedure is for copying the original internal drive to a new and larger drive that will replace the internal drive. I already have an esata drive that is showing signs that it will fail soon.

My question is can I use these instructions, but replace the original internal drive in this process with my existing esata drive? It has a lot of programming on it that I'd like to keep. My intent is to put the new, larger drive into the HR20 and not have an esata at all.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#312 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

If I understand everything (which I doubt) this procedure is for copying the original internal drive to a new and larger drive that will replace the internal drive. I already have an esata drive that is showing signs that it will fail soon.

My question is can I use these instructions, but replace the original internal drive in this process with my existing esata drive? It has a lot of programming on it that I'd like to keep. My intent is to put the new, larger drive into the HR20 and not have an esata at all.

Yes, the process is actually for copying one drive to another, it does not matter whether its the original internal or an external, as long as you are only copying a drive to use on the same dvr.....shows will not be playable if you try moving the drive to another dvr....

#313 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,739 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

Or combining shows from both drives as rich854 mentioned.

#314 OFFLINE   crendall

crendall

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

Bad drive. Check its SMART data on PC.

I downloaded the hard drive diagnostic software from Western Digital's website and the drive I was trying to use does have issues. I guess I'll have to get another hard drive for my DVR.... :grin:

#315 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

I don't use PCs I only have a MAC. Is it possible for me to still do this process?
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#316 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

I don't use PCs I only have a MAC. Is it possible for me to still do this process?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=171746

There's actually a thread about it, it also depends on which mac you have....

#317 OFFLINE   rollsabers

rollsabers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

I recently upgraded an HR20 from the factory drive to a western digital blue 1TB drive. I had no issues using the instructions from this post. I was able to pull old drive, copy recordings and preferences, replace new drive, and everything appeared to be working.

This dvr was my bedroom box and the old internal hard drive was making a horrible sound. Once replaced box is quiet, now have 92% free space, and all recordings. I decided to move this box to my living room and connect to hd tv so I would have the most space in that room. When connecting to hd channel I get message that says searching for satellite signal. When I test signal strength everything is 96 or above the signal meter for sat 1 and 2 are both 96.

Called directv and they had me do system test which resulted in diag code 42-158. I connected back my hr23 that was in place prior to moving them around and hd channels work fine. HD channels also worked fine prior to replacing the factory drive with wd blue 1tb drive.

Any suggestions? I don't think it's hardware related outside of the hr20 box.

#318 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,739 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

Not good idea to post such question in the thread - off topic.
Take you post out and create your own new thread; also look for the code in existing dedicated thread.

#319 OFFLINE   rollsabers

rollsabers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:24 AM

P Smith,

I did search through all 13 pages of replies and found no one having this same issue. As for starting a new post I thought I would post in here since the problem did not happen until I upgraded internal hard drive.

#320 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

P Smith,

I did search through all 13 pages of replies and found no one having this same issue. As for starting a new post I thought I would post in here since the problem did not happen until I upgraded internal hard drive.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the drive replacement, it has everything to do with the fact that you moved it to the location that had an HR23 there. Dollars to donuts you forgot to hook up the BBC's that it was using in the bedroom. HR23's dont need them, all others do....

spam firewall