Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
594 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

I've ordered a WD20EVDS and a Thermaltake BlacX esata docking station which will arrive later this week. I am currently using an esata drive (forget the brand) and a Thermaltake esata box and it is getting flaky, hence the new drive on order.

My question involves hooking up the two drives to my PC. Since the existing drive is already in an esata external box, can I hook that box up to one of my PC's sata ports or do I need to take it out of the box? Likewise, could I just put the new WD drive into the new docking station and then hook that up to a sata port.

Heh, it sounds flakey. Maybe I should just hook them up directly and not be lazy.

BTW, I'm running Win7 Pro, but I guess that's moot since we boot up from a CD to use the special software.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Direct connect to PC would speedup whole process, in best case - 2 times.

#323 OFFLINE   rollsabers

rollsabers

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

It has absolutely nothing to do with the drive replacement, it has everything to do with the fact that you moved it to the location that had an HR23 there. Dollars to donuts you forgot to hook up the BBC's that it was using in the bedroom. HR23's dont need them, all others do....

That's probably it. Thanks, I'm at work but will give that a shot. Excuse me for not remembering to connect the bbc's since it had been almost a year since I used hd with the hr20. You would have thought that would have been a question directv would have asked. Again I only posted here because I was doing an hard drive upgrade and I figured someone might know the answer case in point, you.

#324 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

The BBC's are still attached to the sat feeds in your BR where the HR20 was at right?

#325 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Oh, please - the theme is for NEW thread, not off-topic again.

#326 OFFLINE   MEinSoCal

MEinSoCal

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

7. Type in mkdir /mnt/fap and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

8. Type in mkdir /mnt/hr20 and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

9. Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

10. Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20 and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

11. Now the command instructions to copy all your data from one drive to another. At the command prompt type in xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap and press enter. A whole bunch of stuff will scroll on the screen and the last thing it will say is restoring non-directory files.

12. You wait. Patience is a virtue. It will sit at this screen for a long time as it copies the files. There is no progress bar. Overall time will vary depending on how full your drive was. My buddy’s drive had 3% free. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to copy all the data. You’ll feel a little reassured looking at the hard drive LEDs, knowing that something is actually happening.

13. Finally it finishes and a message is displayed that reads Restore Status: SUCCESS. You’re not quite done though.

14. At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/hr20 and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

15. At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/fap and press enter. (Nothing will appear to happen and it will drop you to another command line)

okay i successfully ran the first 4 lines. after i typed the xfsdump|xfsrestore line, my computer started it okay but thats where it got stuck. for the last 24hrs its still reading:

"xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files"

what happened here? how i do i fix or re-do this?

#327 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Check that you are using a confirmed working version of gparted.

#328 OFFLINE   MEinSoCal

MEinSoCal

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

Check that you are using a confirmed working version of gparted.

how i do check this? i'm using the latest version from sourceforge.

#329 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

how i do check this? i'm using the latest version from sourceforge.

Just read a couple pages back here ...

#330 OFFLINE   MEinSoCal

MEinSoCal

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Just read a couple pages back here ...

can't you just tell me? is Gparted 0.4.6-1 still the preferred version to do this?

Edited by MEinSoCal, 04 December 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#331 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

can't you just tell me? is Gparted 0.4.6-1 still the preferred version to do this?

http://www.dbstalk.c...7&postcount=288

#332 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

You know, perhaps I'm old school EE, but reading BEFORE run something is MUST !

#333 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but have a question, some background first.

We have a HR20-700 which is approx 4 yrs old. The original 300gb Seagate hard drive went south last November 2009 and I did not want to deal with exchanging it as I like the old box. I purchased a 1tb Seagate Barracuda ST310005N1A1AS drive to replace the old drive (Nov 2009) and installed it internally. There was no chance of being able to copy the data off the original 300gb drive. It was toast. All has been well until last Saturday evening (Dec 2010) when I awoke to a blue screen telling me that something was wrong with my storage device and to reboot. Rebooted and same issue. Unplugged the unit, waited a bit and plugged her back up. HR20 came back to life, no storage device errors, shows intact etc.. Alright, good deal I'm thinking must have been a fluke. Later in the day I keep hearing a beeping noise coming from the HR20. Hmmmmm hard drive really does have some issues. It is still working but I do not trust it anymore. I have purchased a 2tb WD EVDS which I would now like to copy the old drive onto before the Seagate totally goes.

My question is what does the "fap" stand for in the command structure when using gpart. The "hr20" is obvious. For some reason I cannot get out of my head that it stands for free agent pro.

Thanks DBSTalkers

#334 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

Correct.

[ 'hr20' should be initially named as SOURCE or FROM and 'fap' should be named as TARGET or TO; then we wouldn't have many questions about names/ where is this or that]

Edited by P Smith, 08 December 2010 - 05:42 PM.
oops !

#335 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but have a question, some background first.

My question is what does the "fap" stand for in the command structure when using gpart. The "hr20" is obvious. For some reason I cannot get out of my head that it stands for free agent pro.

Thanks DBSTalkers

You could replace it with "mud" if you wanted to, the point is the OP that made the instructions was copying from his hr20 drive to an fap drive. You can use whatever you want for the naming convention, you just need to keep them straight for all the commands to work properly. He made the names meaningful for his mount points, many are obviously just copying his syntax verbatim, not really understanding what they are typing or the tasks their syntax is invoking..

#336 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

[ it should be initially named as SOURCE or FROM and 'hr20' should be named as TARGET or TO; then we wouldn't have many questions about names/ where is this or that]

You have it backwards. hr20 would be source and fap would be target.

#337 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for the replies, I did not think it mattered allot on the naming convention just wanted to check.

I hope to get the copying done either fri or sat, but a quick question on the graceful shutdown process. I see it only mentioned for the new drive (destination), should it also be performed on the old (Source) drive.

Edited by andy A, 10 December 2010 - 02:19 AM.

#338 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:35 AM

graceful shutdown of the original drive is the 1st step in the process.

#339 OFFLINE   andy A

andy A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Guess I need to read better. :):)Reading comprehension is apparently not my friend:):)

Edited by andy A, 10 December 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#340 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:02 AM

graceful shutdown of the original drive is the 1st step in the process.

The graceful shutdown is not needed, if you get the "can't read superblock" error use the xfs_repair command xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 (where ? is the letter of the drive with the error)

I have done this numerous times on both the new and old drives

Protected By... spam firewall...And...