Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#426 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

WHy not just go get this and boot to it and it will work fine..

http://sourceforge.n...dFiles/0.4.6-1/

This is the one I use and it works 100% of the time. I also recommend re-installing the original drive and the new drive in your R22, booting it up and performing a new graceful reboot on both to get a "clean" copy

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#427 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

WHy not just go get this and boot to it and it will work fine..

http://sourceforge.n...dFiles/0.4.6-1/

This is the one I use and it works 100% of the time. I also recommend re-installing the original drive and the new drive in your R22, booting it up and performing a new graceful reboot on both to get a "clean" copy

I am trying to copy the external hard drive on my R-22.
I have followed the instructions at the begining of this post and I am running into problems at step 9 in Post 11 when I enter the command "mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap"
I get the message "Mount: Function not implemented"
I tried searching for that string in the posts to see if anyone else ran into it.
Nothing
I have tried versions
0.10.0-3
0.3.3-7
0.3.4-11
None seem to work
Ideas?!?!!?
Now really dazed and confused :confused:

As you can see I tried several versions of Gparted live.
Do you think 0.4.6-1 will work any different?
Do I need to use "sudo" before the commands for that version?

#428 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

I'm using Ubuntu for the tasks while be a 'root' user; the 'sudo' I used while running from Gparted CD.

#429 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm using Ubuntu for the tasks while be a 'root' user; the 'sudo' I used while running from Gparted CD.

Any thoughts on the problem I ran into while trying this on the Ubuntu CD you had me download? Terminal listing in Post 425.

#430 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I did the answer - login as root user.

#431 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

I did the answer - login as root user.

Sorry, Not real familiar with Linux. How do I log in as the root used?

#432 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

This is why I highly recommend using the proper gparted disk, it avoids having to know linux very well. YOu dont have to know anything more than what is in the instructions.

#433 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well it time to learn it ;). You can't drive car without learning ... so, go for it.

#434 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

This is why I highly recommend using the proper gparted disk, it avoids having to know linux very well. YOu dont have to know anything more than what is in the instructions.

I'll try the version you recomended tonight, (0.4.6-1) I was getting a little frustrated with Gparted after trying three different versions and none would work, :bang it's kind of a PIA to shut down the R-22 and take the drive downstairs and hook it into the computer and boot to the Linux disk over and over again. (Can't miss any of those all too important shows that NEED :nono2: to record every evening...)

Well it time to learn it ;). You can't drive car without learning ... so, go for it.

I fully intend to install Ubuntu on one of my systems after the holidays and hopefully have some time to play with it. It kind of reminds me of Novell (which we still run on our server at work) Right now I'm just trying to get through this fiasco.

#435 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Since the last NR went out, EARS drives should work fine now....they added support for the advanced format drives recently. WHich was the reason they didnt work in the 1st place.

I've been having trouble with a EARS drive.
Gonna chuck it and use something else now but out of curiosity, WHat does this old post mean? What is "NR" ?

#436 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Gonna chuck it and use something else now but out of curiosity, WHat does this old post mean? What is "NR" ?

National Release FW. Means regular update, not forced, not CE.

#437 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Version 0.4.6-1 worked great!!!! :joy:
Thank you CCarncross and P Smith
I couldn't have done it without your help. :biggthump

#438 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

To further explain, when the EARS series of drives originally came out 18 months ago or so, the HD DVR's didnt like them because they were some of the 1st advanced format drives from WD, and WD had changed the default sector size or something along those lines....it wasnt 100% compatible with the linux kernel our DVR's were running. Awhile ago Directv added supprt for the newer advanced format drives in a software update that went out to everyone after months of beta testing. If youa re having trouble with the EARS drive, its because there is something up with the drive, meaning its not functioning properly, the EARS drives are fine to use with any of the HD DVR models currently available, although the EURS model is preferred because its rated for 24/7 AV use where the EARS is not.

#439 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

To further explain, when the EARS series of drives originally came out 18 months ago or so, the HD DVR's didnt like them because they were some of the 1st advanced format drives from WD, and WD had changed the default sector size or something along those lines....it wasnt 100% compatible with the linux kernel our DVR's were running. Awhile ago Directv added supprt for the newer advanced format drives in a software update that went out to everyone after months of beta testing. If youa re having trouble with the EARS drive, its because there is something up with the drive, meaning its not functioning properly, the EARS drives are fine to use with any of the HD DVR models currently available, although the EURS model is preferred because its rated for 24/7 AV use where the EARS is not.

Just as an addon, When my EURS drive went south I had a 2 Gb EARS drive sitting on the shelf. I pulled the bad drive out of the SATA external and plugged in the EARS drive to try. It worked fine. I RMA's the EURS drive and when WD sent the new one the guys here helped me move everything over to the new drive. EARS drive was only in use for about 1 month but never had a problem.
D&C

#440 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

You helped me copy my temp backup EARS drive over to the new EURS drive with Gparted. I had recorded a couple programs onto the new EURS drive to make sure it was formatted properly, When I finished the copy and booted my R-22 all the programs from both drives were there. :)

Is that normal? I thought we were overwriting the new drive with info from the old drive.
D&C

#441 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

The process is not really overwriting the drive, it is dumping the data to the appropriate partition. So if there is already data there, it is more of a concatenation process. One of the reasons you have to "prep" the new drive before performing the dump/restore process.

#442 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

The process is not really overwriting the drive, it is dumping the data to the appropriate partition. So if there is already data there, it is more of a concatenation process. One of the reasons you have to "prep" the new drive before performing the dump/restore process.

Cool! Thanks again.

#443 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

It was process as 'dum&restore' file system ie folders/files/metadata not an image of one partition.

Edited by P Smith, 16 December 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#444 OFFLINE   rigamortis

rigamortis

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

OK got a little farther and then ran into problems on the xfsdump
Here is the list from Terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/fap
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mkdir /mnt/hr20
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
mount: only root can do that
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo xfsdump -j - /mnt/hr20 | xfrestore -j - /mnt/fap
sudo: xfsdump: command not found
No command 'xfrestore' found, did you mean:
Command 'xfsrestore' from package 'xfsdump' (main)
xfrestore: command not found
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo xfsdump -j - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -j - /mnt/fap
sudo: xfsdump: command not found
The program 'xfsrestore' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install xfsdump
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install xfsdump
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
attr quota
The following NEW packages will be installed:
xfsdump
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 290 kB of archives.
After this operation, 725 kB of additional disk space will be used.
//////removed url from quote because it wouldnt let me post//////////
Fetched 290 kB in 1s (223 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package xfsdump.
(Reading database ... 132576 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xfsdump (from .../xfsdump_3.0.5_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up xfsdump (3.0.5) ...
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo xfsdump -j - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -j - /mnt/fap
xfsrestore: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
xfsrestore: version 3.0.5 (dump format 3.0) - Running single-threaded
xfsrestore: ERROR: unable to create /mnt/fap/xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied
xfsrestore: Restore Status: ERROR
xfsdump: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
xfsdump: version 3.0.5 (dump format 3.0) - Running single-threaded
xfsdump: level 0 dump of ubuntu:/mnt/hr20
xfsdump: dump date: Tue Dec 13 12:10:18 2011
xfsdump: session id: ea9def75-e239-4952-8aaf-8ac29fbddc1f
xfsdump: session label: ""
xfsdump: ino map phase 1: constructing initial dump list
xfsdump: ino map phase 2: skipping (no pruning necessary)
xfsdump: ino map phase 3: skipping (only one dump stream)
xfsdump: ino map construction complete
xfsdump: estimated dump size: 247326588672 bytes
xfsdump: /var/lib/xfsdump/inventory created
xfsdump: creating dump session media file 0 (media 0, file 0)
xfsdump: dumping ino map
xfsdump: dumping directories
xfsdump: dump size (non-dir files) : 0 bytes
xfsdump: NOTE: dump interrupted: 4 seconds elapsed: may resume later using -R option
xfsdump: Dump Status: INTERRUPT
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I know this is an old thread but Ive spent two days working on this and had this same issue with the
xfsrestore: ERROR: unable to create /mnt/fap/xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied
part, I was using the most recent version of gparted 0.11.0-7
I ran it with and without the sudo command, with sudo it got farther but still had that permission denied error. finally I did "sudo passwd" and set a password for root and use "su" to login as the root user, issued the command and everything was perfect. hopefully if anyone is having the same problem this will save them some time

#445 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

... I was using the most recent version of gparted 0.11.0-7....

Your time would have been better spent reading some of this thread. Version 0.4.6-1 is the only one that seems to work reliably without any special commands, etc.

#446 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

... I was using the most recent version of gparted 0.11.0-7
I ran it with and without the sudo command, with sudo it got farther but still had that permission denied error. finally I did "sudo passwd" and set a password for root and use "su" to login as the root user, issued the command and everything was perfect. hopefully if anyone is having the same problem this will save them some time

Thanks for your report - that's good news, so ppl can use new version of Gparted.

#447 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Agreed, just use the appropriate version of gparted boot disk, as long as you follow the directions, it works flawlessly everytime. no reason to get fancy or try to re-invent the wheel here. Properly prep the source and destination drives in the dvr using graceful shutdown procedures and you're golden.

#448 OFFLINE   ahemsa

ahemsa

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the thread, it is very informative, I did have a question, however. If it has already been asked on this thread, I am sorry. I tried the search but it didn't seem to turn up any results.

Simple question, just how big a hard drive can you use in say an HR22-100? I noticed that there are now 4TB drives in existence. I don't really have need for that much storage, but I'd hate to find a good deal on a large drive some day only to find out that the DVR doesn't support the full capacity of the drive.

#449 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the thread, it is very informative, I did have a question, however. If it has already been asked on this thread, I am sorry. I tried the search but it didn't seem to turn up any results.

Simple question, just how big a hard drive can you use in say an HR22-100? I noticed that there are now 4TB drives in existence. I don't really have need for that much storage, but I'd hate to find a good deal on a large drive some day only to find out that the DVR doesn't support the full capacity of the drive.

2TB
DogLover

My Setup

#450 OFFLINE   ahemsa

ahemsa

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Simple question with a simple answer. Thanks! Now if hard drive prices hadn't gotten ridiculous.... stupid flooding.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...