Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

If I were to get a new HR2x and copied the hard drive/recordings using gParted would they be viewable on s new DVR? Or are they married to the original DVR or access card?

Z

They are married to the original receiver, the recordings are there, as well as all settings and series links, but the recordings will not be playable on the new dvr/access card.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jgriffin104

jgriffin104

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

I have upgraded 4 hr20's with Seagate 1.5 TB drive from Fry's. At $119 each I couldn't pass them up. After 4 tries to get the first one copied, I really need to watch my bifocals, The little typo's can be frustrating. I wanted to personally thank you for the thread.
My question is, do you use hr21 in the command line when using a hr-21 DVR?
My brother has a loud clattering hard drive and I had him unplug and bring it to me. His is full of old black and white war movies and he doesn't want to lose them.

Again thank you, I breezed right through the 4 installs after watching my typing.

#23 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

... My question is, do you use hr21 in the command line when using a hr-21 DVR?

You can use hr21 or anything else that makes it easy for you to keep up with which drive is which. You are basically assigning your own temporary designation to the drive so use whatever you want. Just remember to be consistent and make the same change throughout all the commands.

Edited by daniellee, 15 November 2009 - 02:31 PM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#24 OFFLINE   funkadelic

funkadelic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

thanks for this post, bookmarked! just bought a 1TB Western Digital Green WD10EADS from amazon for $70 and will use it to replace the original drive in my HR21-700 since i'm chronically out of space

#25 OFFLINE   HammerCA

HammerCA

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

I upgraded my HR20-100 to 2TB with a Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS drive. Ran into a couple issues along the way. The PC(Core2Duo) I used did not boot(stuck in BIOS) with the HDD from the HR20 attached to the primary(ICH7) SATA controller. It booted with it on the secondary(SiImage) controller. The first time I copied the drive everything appeared to complete normally and when I hooked the new drive up to the HR20 everything was there. One issue though is I checked a few of the recordings and a they were ending a few minutes early. I hooked the original drive back up and check the recordings and they were fine there. I deleted some no longer needed recordings on the original drive and reformatted the new drive and did the copy procedure again. The second time everything checked out fine.

#26 OFFLINE   nilgai

nilgai

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

If you don't care about loosing existing recordings, can you just stop at step 9 and begin using the new drive. I know you would need to setup your remote, but is that it? Seems simpler if you don't mind loosing existing recordings.

Also, could you configure the new drive by starting up with the new drive in the eSata dock; once configured replace the old drive internal drive with the new one from the eSata dock? As above, if you don't mind loosing your existing recordings and resetting your remote.

Would this work?

Edited by nilgai, 04 December 2009 - 08:04 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

If you don't care about loosing existing recordings, can you just stop at step 9 and begin using the new drive. I know you would need to setup your remote, but is that it? Seems simpler if you don't mind loosing existing recordings.

Also, could you configure the new drive by starting up with the new drive in the eSata dock; once configured replace the old drive internal drive with the new one from the eSata dock? As above, if you don't mind loosing your existing recordings and resetting your remote.

Would this work?

Basically, but you wouldn't have to format the new drive with the DVR first.
Just swap them.

#28 OFFLINE   nilgai

nilgai

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Basically, but you wouldn't have to format the new drive with the DVR first.
Just swap them.

About the 2nd question; If I've already started using a larger drive through an external eSata connection can that be installed as the internal drive later without loosing anything? Are internal and external Sata connections configured the same by the DVR?

#29 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

About the 2nd question; If I've already started using a larger drive through an external eSata connection can that be installed as the internal drive later without loosing anything? Are internal and external Sata connections configured the same by the DVR?

You could move that external drive internally and not lose anything.

#30 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

STEP 9 – CONNECTING THE DRIVES TO YOUR COMPUTER

1. In your computer identify SATA Port 0 and SATA Port 1 and the cables that run to them.

2. Connect your BIG & BEEFY NEW drive to SATA Port 0.

3. Connect the tiny old drive to SATA Port 1.

*** SIDE NOTES: I would only do this by connecting directly to the drives with SATA cables. Using a USB adapter is NOT recommended. It might work but there is a better chance you’ll introduce a problem and it will take a lot longer. Additionally, it felt backwards connecting the drives but I didn’t want to screw with the original directions so I just went with it. The Master belongs in Port 1 for this exercise. I suggest you just do the same.

Can you specify exactly how this step is performed? I am going to upgrade from a WD 500gb to a WD 2tb and definitley need to copy the data over. This step seems very confusing to me. I apologize if this questions has been asked and answered before, but could not find it. I would like to know the easiest way to transfer the data if possible. I did see that the USB method worked and if that is an option too can you let me know how to hook up, etc?

Many thanks and I do apologize again if this has been reviewed.

#31 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

Can you specify exactly how this step is performed? I am going to upgrade from a WD 500gb to a WD 2tb and definitley need to copy the data over. This step seems very confusing to me. I apologize if this questions has been asked and answered before, but could not find it. I would like to know the easiest way to transfer the data if possible. I did see that the USB method worked and if that is an option too can you let me know how to hook up, etc?

Many thanks and I do apologize again if this has been reviewed.

This step is just talking about physically connecting the drives to your PC. Step 10 involves copying the data.

Edit: Fixed typo. I had typed connecting the computers to your PC for some silly reason.

Edited by clambert, 07 December 2009 - 11:41 AM.
Typo

#32 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

I highly suggest you ask a computer savvy friend to help out. A mistake can wipe out all the shows on your current drive if the process is not performed correctly.

#33 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

This step is just talking about physically connecting the drives to your PC. Step 10 involves copying the data.

Edit: Fixed typo. I had typed connecting the computers to your PC for some silly reason.

So if I understand correctly, I am first downloading the link you provided for the software. Next I am opening my desktop PC to expose the inside of the unit. And than disconnecting the PC's hard drive and plugging in two drives to perform the data transfer??? Seems like a lot of work, but I do have a ton of great stuff on my 500gb that I must keep. Is there computers guys/services that can perform this locally???

Thank you

#34 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

So if I understand correctly, I am first downloading the link you provided for the software. Next I am opening my desktop PC to expose the inside of the unit. And than disconnecting the PC's hard drive and plugging in two drives to perform the data transfer??? Seems like a lot of work, but I do have a ton of great stuff on my 500gb that I must keep. Is there computers guys/services that can perform this locally???

Thank you

Right. But like CCarncross said, you might want to find someone with a little more PC background. If you're careless have the drives backwards (even though I think it's clear in the clear in the steps) you could wipe out what you are copying.

The SATA ports should be clearly labeled in the PC on the motherboard. It's really not "a lot of work" if you're comfortable with computers. Feels like I'm changing a shirt, which isn't too difficult at all. It's all relative I suppose.

I hope I'm not sounding condescending. That's not my intent. I just don't want you to accidentally destroy your data.

#35 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

Seems like I am bouncing this topic in two different treads, and my apologizes for the multi posts. I think I am getting a clearly picture of what I need to do. I am going to be purchasing a 2tb WD drive with an Antec MX-1 enclosure. I had great success with my 500gb WD and Kingwin enclosure so I think I am going to stick with the external route. About $230 for everything. Just need to get past this copy function and I will be all set:-). Again, I apologize for the duplicate posts.

Many thanks and keep the info flowing. That is what made my last 1+ years work with teh older 500gb external was all the help on this forum and the patience from all the experts.........

#36 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Seems like I am bouncing this topic in two different treads, and my apologizes for the multi posts. I think I am getting a clearly picture of what I need to do. I am going to be purchasing a 2tb WD drive with an Antec MX-1 enclosure. I had great success with my 500gb WD and Kingwin enclosure so I think I am going to stick with the external route. About $230 for everything. Just need to get past this copy function and I will be all set:-). Again, I apologize for the duplicate posts.

Many thanks and keep the info flowing. That is what made my last 1+ years work with teh older 500gb external was all the help on this forum and the patience from all the experts.........

You need to make sure your PC supports SATA to begin with. Any newish PC, you'll be fine. You also might have to go into your BIOS to enable the drive so the PC sees it.

There are just two easy cables to each drive. One is for power, the other is the data connection. The SATA connection is much smaller and easier to connect than the older IDE drives. If you only have one SATA drive in your computer, you will need another cable. The SATA ports are labeled (really small) on the motherboard.

Search YouTube for SATA hard drives. I'm sure you'll find something that helps you visually.

Don't feel like you have to use the drive carrier (or screws). If the drives can safely lay flat with the power and SATA cable connected, don't install them in the computer. Most newer PCs have carriers though, which make installing drives quick and easy.

Again, I encourage you to seek a little more personal help but you may be fine.

Good luck!

#37 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:27 PM

I think I am getting closer:-) I opened the computer and located the SATA 0 & 1. The main hd is located on SATA 0, so I am assuming I have to disconnected the computer's hd to utilize that port. Also, can use the dual power supply to power up the old and new drive. Looks like a have to purchase an additional sata cable to hook both up? Does this all sound correct?

Also, just need some clarification how on to boot into the GParted CD and/or download. I do not have a "PC savy friend" so I am to go at it alone. As mentioned, I peruse through countless pages on several threads and could not find specific to my questions regarding the actual method of connecting, etc. Just instruction on how to actually copy the data. Sorry for the spoonfeeding. Many thx.........

#38 OFFLINE   clambert

clambert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

I think I am getting closer:-) I opened the computer and located the SATA 0 & 1. The main hd is located on SATA 0, so I am assuming I have to disconnected the computer's hd to utilize that port. Also, can use the dual power supply to power up the old and new drive. Looks like a have to purchase an additional sata cable to hook both up? Does this all sound correct?

Also, just need some clarification how on to boot into the GParted CD and/or download. I do not have a "PC savy friend" so I am to go at it alone. As mentioned, I peruse through countless pages on several threads and could not find specific to my questions regarding the actual method of connecting, etc. Just instruction on how to actually copy the data. Sorry for the spoonfeeding. Many thx.........

Yes, you will have to disconnect the drive in your PC. You would want to do that anyway just to eliminate any possible chance of destroying the data on that drive. Even I do that. You should have multiple power connectors. You will need another cable if the new drive doesn't come with one. Make sure the other SATA port (1) is enabled in your BIOS.

Download the ISO for GParted. If you don't have CD burning software that burns images, look at downloading ImgBurn (use Google to look for it). If the PC doesn't boot to the disc, you might need to change the boot order of your drives in your BIOS.

#39 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

GREAT, this is very helpful. I ordered the 2tb drive and enclosure today and see if I need additional SATA cable. I am very familiar with all the 20-700 stuff and good there. I'll post when I have it up and running and/or have any questions along the way.

Many thx for the help................

#40 OFFLINE   mrz2u

mrz2u

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

so I have read through this whole post and I think I have my answer but let me run it by those that may care...

Say I have a brand new box with nothing on it at all...in fact, its never been plugged in to anything, I mean its just out of the cardboard.

If a fella were to take it in its virgin state like this and swap out the drive first thing...we are talking about just swapping the drive and NOTHING else.

Connect the cables, plug it in and power it up as if it came from the factory with that drive already installed?

Seems that simple...anyone think I am missing anything?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...