Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#551 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks again guys. I wiped the drive, and started over - this time in a locked room away from "toddler programers"...and all is well. Works great...so far.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#552 OFFLINE   Tangobythebay

Tangobythebay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks to all you guys for a very informative and useful thread. I've successfully upgraded the hard drives on two DVRs without losing any recordings and without knowing one iota of Unix. All the info I needed is in this thread.

I'd like to contribute one piece of info to the thread. I saw a couple of questions with regards to using a computer with RAID arrays but I didn't see any answers. If I inadvertently missed them, I'm sure you guys will let me know. Otherwise, let me share my experience.

I run a RAID 0 array on an ASUS motherboard running Windows 7. I had no problem switching out my RAID drives for the DVR source and target drives and used the computer for the dump and restore (copying). I made sure I tagged the RAID drives that I took out with the SATA position to which each was connected (on my M/B, the numbering is SATA 1 - SATA 6) - i.e., I made sure that I knew which drive was attached to SATA 1 and which to SATA 2 (probably SATA 0 and SATA 1 on most computers).

There was no need to remove the RAID utility. My computer recognized the DVR source and target drives for the copying as independent single drives (not in any RAID array) even with the RAID utility installed. Once I completed the dump and restore, I reconnected my RAID drives making sure they were attached to the original SATA positions (on which the RAID array was built and which I tagged when I disconnected them) and powered up my computer. My computer fired up with all programs and settings as before, intact.

Thanks again for all the knowledge in this thread.

#553 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,224 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

You are using SW RAID, so removing drives and OS with RAID functionality will not affect your other drives like DVR's. Don't worry - you got it right by marking drives and SATA ports to proper re-assembly your home desktop.

#554 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

There would be no reason to remove the raid utility as that most likely resided as software on the windows drives. Booting from the gparted disk would be like booting up to an entirely different pc. Great forethought to think ahead and label the physical drive locations so that the raid array wouldn't be disturbed when putting it back the way it was.

#555 OFFLINE   Tangobythebay

Tangobythebay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I believe the RAID utility resides either in the BIOS or somewhere around the BIOS. It does not reside in Windows nor the drives. The computer needs to know how to read the drives before reading them.

#556 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,224 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

It could if you've paid $$$ or $$$$ for HW RAID card or embedded in MB. It would enterprise class equipment, not for regular user.

Doesn't looks you have it.

#557 OFFLINE   gigantor58

gigantor58

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Great tutorial! It saved me from losing all my programs after a hard drive failure. I'd like to share my experience in case it helps anyone else who is having similar issues.

A few days ago, my HR20 started blinking 3 blue lights at me that were in a triangle formation on the front of the unit. I rebooted and everything seemed to be fine, but it kept happening. I unplugged my external hard drive which had been running continuously for 4 years and the triangle of death stopped appearing. I decided that the hard drive must be failing, but hated the thought of losing all of my recordings.

Your tutorial worked like a charm, but there are few snafus that I ran into.

I discovered that the commands outlined in your tutorial do not work on the latest version of GParted. After "downgrading" to 0.3.7-7, GParted accepted the commands and all was well.

I used a USB connection on both drives, which does work, but it took over 12 hours to copy nearly a TB of files.

The hard drive that crashed was not powered down properly and sure enough, I did receive an error. I plugged it back into the HR20 and fortunately it didn't crash on me and I was able to power it down properly. After doing so, I stopped receiving the error.

I used an Hitatchi 7200 HD and a Vantec NexStar 3 enclosure that I bought from Frys for the new external hard drive.

Now that I'm up and running with the new drive, I've noticed that the HR20 is much faster that it used to be. It used to take forever for anything to happen when I looked at the guide or the list of recordings.

Thanks again!

#558 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

I can't get the version 3.7-7 to boot it says no live media found.newer versions boot fine but commands don't work. Any help?

#559 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

without posting screenshots it would be hard to help

#560 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I can't get the version 3.7-7 to boot it says no live media found.newer versions boot fine but commands don't work. Any help?

Maybe you have a bad boot disk for that version, try a re-D/L and reburn.

#561 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

Looking for PSmith or another Linux expert here.

I've done this procedure numerous times over the years. After issues with builds higher than 0.3.3-7 years ago, figured if it ain't broke, go with what you know.

First this afternoon took a filled 1TB Drive out of a Genie and copied to a 2TB Drive using 0.3.3-7

8 hours later, success, reinstall, everything is fine.

Took out a second 1TB Drive to clone to a 3TB Drive. This is first 3TB Drive.

I make sure 3TB is on device 0 and 1TB is on device 1.

I see this in the bios at startup

When 0.3.3-7 starts, I can see it recognizes the 3TB and the 1TB in GPart.

Go through mkdirs and mounts - then the xfsdump and xfsrestore.

Takes 9 seconds and says "success" files copied.

I realize something is seriously wrong. Thinking I somehow copied the 3TB to the 1TB. Check connections again. Everything is correct. Then thinking I must have somehow f'ed up my 1TB with the Programs, I put it back in the Genie.

Luckily, everything is fine.

So, I repeat everything again with the same outcome after 9 seconds.

Only thing I think of is that even though the bios and program are recognizing the 3TB Drive, the older program cannot handle.

So I burn 0.16.1-1

Delete everything off the new 3TB. Put back in Genie. Formats. Clean shutdown.

Boot with 0.16.1-1

Again, 0.16.1-1 sees both drives. Everything is where its suppose to be.

But now, when I type mkdir /mnt/fap I get "permission denied"

Even 0.3.7-1 let me create the directories with no issues.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

EDIT: for future pioneers, with 0.16.1-1 you need to be in root to create a directory, which is why I got permission denied. For whatever reason, you do not end up in root when you open terminal.

To enter a root SHELL, open the terminal and type "sudo -i" and enter.

Now you can type the usual commands, ie mkdir /mnt/fap and they will work properly.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 September 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#562 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,802 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm trying to copy a big drive to a bigger drive right now too and failing miserably. Having the same issue as you are.

Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#563 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Same error(s)?

What version Grep are you using?

And what size drive are you copying from and to?

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 24 September 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#564 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,802 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well now it's A bit different. I looked further down at the beginning of this thread and saw a link that talks about fixing a super bit error something like that I tried that and so now I got past the first issue and now looks like its training to copy but.. It keeps saying something about failed. I'll post some pictures later on the show not sure if it's copying anything or not at this point I hope so but I'm not sure if it is Going from 2 TB to 4 TB. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#565 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yes, the Super bit error occurred on my 1TB to 2TB clone. I fixed it with the xfs_repair command xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 and then it copied succesfully (and worked).

I am not getting a Superbit error on the current try - but it only takes several seconds to supposedly copy all the files from a 1TB to a 3TB.

1) Which version of Grep are you using?

2) IDE or SATA CD Rom?

3) Do you know what model SATA control for the HDs you are using?

#566 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

inkahauts, on 24 Sept 2013 - 9:23 PM, said:
I got past the first issue and now looks like its training to copy but.. It keeps saying something about failed. I'll post some pictures later on the show not sure if it's copying anything or not at this point I hope so but I'm not sure if it is Going from 2 TB to 4 TB.

FWIW, on the older computer that I used for this (the one that has successfully copied many 250GB/320GB/1TB & 2TB) took about 8 hours to copy a fully loaded 1TB HD to the 2TB HD. Accordingly, on this older machine, I would expect it to take around 16 hours if the 2TB was filled.

I am sure a newer machine (again this is an old 10 year unit that I have used in the past successfully) might speed this up, but I would not expect that it would speed up a simple copy by that much.

PS. I am using newer SATA Boards - and have used 2 different ones with same results. Both recognize the 3TB in bios/post and in Linux/Device. As thus I do not think they are the issue.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 24 September 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#567 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,802 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well again I don't think its copying to be honest. Here's what's showing on my screen. I've done thi procedure before and never seen this. ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1380073919.298401.jpg

#568 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,802 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

And I know it takes a while. Hours! But at least it usually works! My machine I use for this a older as well.

#569 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

Well again I don't think its copying to be honest. Here's what's showing on my screen. I've done thi procedure before and never seen this. [/url]

I've never seen that either unless its in the newer versions of the software.

What version of software are you using?

EDIT: You may be in luck. I just got the same BS on the screen using 0.3.7-7 going to a 3TB HD.

Perhaps for whatever reason, anything over 2TB displays that?

Unfortunately, I pulled the plug when it started before thinking about it and was about to start over, then decided to call it a night (or morning).

So let me know if it does work properly after you are through!

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 September 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#570 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well again I don't think its copying to be honest. Here's what's showing on my screen. I've done thi procedure before and never seen this. 

I have 100% confirmed that using a Hard Drive larger than 2TB with 0.3.7-7 displays the screen output in your post using the command switches listed on page #1 of this thread.

Whether that means it is successfully copying the files and cloning the drive, that remains to be determined.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#571 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,802 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'll say more latter but it did copy and seems to be working fine! I think I know where the glitch was. Make sure you do a good shutdown and if need be use the repair commands mentioned.

#572 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'll say more latter but it did copy and seems to be working fine! I think I know where the glitch was. Make sure you do a good shutdown and if need be use the repair commands mentioned.

Same here.

% free looks correct.

Thus far all recordings I have checked seemed to be fine.

It appears that any HD over 2TB appears to show this on screen for some reason.

#573 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hey guys I have a HR34 with a 3TB drive, I want to get a HR44 is there anyway to keep my recordings? Id like to use the same 3TB drive since its less then 6 months old. Not sure what the best way to go about it would be, any advice would be appreciated.

#574 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,576 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys I have a HR34 with a 3TB drive, I want to get a HR44 is there anyway to keep my recordings? Id like to use the same 3TB drive since its less then 6 months old. Not sure what the best way to go about it would be, any advice would be appreciated.

no, there is no way to transfer recordings.  if you get rid of the 34 you will be getting rid of your recordings as well

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#575 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Couldn't I  get another 3 TB drive, format it then copy from my previous hard drive like described in this thread?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...