Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

That's why I'm putting MHDD first, then Victoria. It would be much less concern if you will burn CD with MHDD ISO and run tests by it.

The smart snapshots posted earlier are from MHDD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

No warning during Scan/Remap ?

#463 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

[quote name='P Smith']No warning during Scan/Remap ?[/QUOTE]

Both were scanned with victoria. no errors.
The new one (EARS) was scanned again with MHDD. No errrors

Here's SMARt after.[QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails

• new-02.JPG

#464 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

I would say, it's data corruption, not phy problem. Reason could be in stream, bugs, corrupted memory, etc

#465 OFFLINE   Ronomy

Ronomy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

If you are currenty using an external SATA drive can you install it in the same receiver the recordings were made on without losing all your recordings?

Thanks,

Ron

#466 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

yes

#467 OFFLINE   Ronomy

Ronomy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

yes

Cool! Thanks.

#468 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

I would say, it's data corruption, not phy problem. Reason could be in stream, bugs, corrupted memory, etc

I don't have time to work on my DVR drives that often, About once a week.
That's why my questions are sporadic.

As you know, My xfs copy is a success using gparted but some of the programs only play a couple of minutes.. The source is an older WD750gb.
The destination is an WD EARS. Could the 'advanced system format' on the EARS be creating this problem? Like Cigar wrote in this post?
http://www.dbstalk.c...398#post2860398

If so, What software can I use to make the formatting identical to the older drive? WD Align? Should it be run before copying data or after?

Thinking the source drive could have some data corruption in the non-video files ~ I let the DVR format a 3rd WD drive this week (non advanced format)
Downloaded all the updates and recorded one tv show. Copied this new drive to the problematic EARS (with all the previous data on it). gparted copy was a success but it didn't fix the playback problems AND the one new show didn't play back properly either..

Edited by mocarob, 04 February 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#469 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Advanced format drives have been supported for quite awhile now, and should not be an issue. cigar95 was most likely referencing old information. When the advanced format drives were 1st introduced, it took a little while before D* added support in their firmware to handle the them.

#470 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

That's right - current FW does support 4KB sectors' drives.

Not too easy to answer the question ... If I would get same two drives and working DVR ...I would dig into.

#471 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

cigar posted that information sept 2011. It's not that old.
i've now copied 2 non advanced drives to advanced and both don't work..
But regardless of that, humor me on this..

IF the advanced formatting is causing a problem for me when copying a drive without it to a drive with ~ How would you try and fix it?

Would you use the jumper method on the drive or WD Align software?
If software, At what stage do you run it? Align runs in windows so I guess format it with windows/run align software. then connect to dvr. then copy?

#472 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

You probably rush into the alignment.
As I recall (it never been necessary for any PC what I touched) it was a fix for OSes like Windows before MS added its support.
Linux has native support, so if you're did the copied events under Linux, then the issue could be totally different.
I don't feel 'the format' under Windows (as it need for Windows) will help you in DVR eg Linux environment.
I would just copy one short recordings (or a couple) and do binary compare of content.
Without the step you're just kicking tires. ;)

#473 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Again your mileage may vary, but I have copied to non-advanced format drives to advanced format drives and both have worked flawlessly. If I remember your situation correctly, both my older non-advanced format drives were still 100% error free, just moving to larger drives 2TB drives. In your case arent one or both of the older drives giving errors meaning the some of the recordings might be un-salvageable?

#474 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

Again your mileage may vary, but I have copied to non-advanced format drives to advanced format drives and both have worked flawlessly. If I remember your situation correctly, both my older non-advanced format drives were still 100% error free, just moving to larger drives 2TB drives. In your case arent one or both of the older drives giving errors meaning the some of the recordings might be un-salvageable?

The original WD750gb source drive works perfectly on every recording..and connected to my dvr as i speak..
The 2nd drive I tried with new system files & 1 show recording was a WD650gb I have connected to my PC as a backup..

None of the drives involved are giving me SMART or scan errors.

I didn't quite understand Psmith response.
Bare with me on this since i'm not a HDD expert, But if the new drive is formatted differently & has different sectors from the original, wouldnt that create problems with the copied files? WD talks about drive cloning errors when advanced formatting is involved.
http://www.wdc.com/g...id=7&language=1

regardless if you guys think thats an issue, when in the copying process would you run the align software? I'm willing to do the time and do the testing, just tell me what you think about when to run the software.
I think I should format in windows/run the WD align software/then connect to the dvr for the xfs formatting/then gparted copy. kool?

#475 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

You can try anything you want...Personally I would look elsewhere for the problem, because I don't think it has anything at all to do with advanced format vs. non-advanced format drives. Like I mentioned above, I have had 100% success rate with the process on 2 different occasions.

#476 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

The copy is done on file/folders level, I don't see at first glance a necessity of special formatting under Windows for NTFS type of file system - it' will be destroyed anyway by DVR's Linux and it will format as EXT3.

#477 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

The copy is done on file/folders level, I don't see at first glance a necessity of special formatting under Windows for NTFS type of file system - it' will be destroyed anyway by DVR's Linux and it will format as EXT3.

got it. I just added that as the first step becuz it's formatted for the dvr right now and since I have to align it using my PC.. I'll just use gparted to delete the partitions and initialize it for windows to run the software. then start the process once more. Or am I missing something basic? Will the EXT3 format cancel out what the align software does? Is that what I'm not understanding and you guys are waiting for me to catch on?? :D

I know we've been round n round on this and I hear what ccarncross is saying about it shouldnt be an issue and the dvr supports advanced formatting. I'm just willing to try anything to get this properly working. I never had this much trouble 3yrs ago the first time i copied my drive. it was done in one shot. I'm using gparted 0461. That shouldnt be an issue should it.?

#478 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

got it. I just added that as the first step becuz it's formatted for the dvr right now and since I have to align it using my PC.. I'll just use gparted to delete the partitions and initialize it for windows to run the software. then start the process once more. Or am I missing something basic? Will the EXT3 format cancel out what the align software does? Is that what I'm not understanding and you guys are waiting for me to catch on?? :D

I know we've been round n round on this and I hear what ccarncross is saying about it shouldnt be an issue and the dvr supports advanced formatting. I'm just willing to try anything to get this properly working. I never had this much trouble 3yrs ago the first time i copied my drive. it was done in one shot. I'm using gparted 0461. That shouldnt be an issue should it.?

You're starting to catch on....As soon as your let the dvr format it, so you can do the copy, your align step for windows is gone....remember that when you use the gparted disk, windows has absolutely nothing to do with it after that.

#479 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

If you want to spent your time for ughm ... the lengthy exercise - go ahead.
Perhaps you'll find hidden 'gem' :).

#480 OFFLINE   plugplay

plugplay

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Does this work for the HR34 also?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...