Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   zebra

zebra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

after executing the sec.11 I get:

xfsrestore:ERROR: no source file(s) specified

What is wrong with this:

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

"11. Now the command instructions to copy all your data from one drive to another. At the command prompt type in xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap and press enter. A whole bunch of stuff will scroll on the screen and the last thing it will say is restoring non-directory files."

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#602 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

Many times been pointed: follow syntax of the cmds EXACTLY! Watch for each Space!!!

Edited by P Smith, 27 November 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#603 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

underscore and asterisk are valuable chars for all shells, so no

just take original post with the cmds in quote window and move your cursor to find out the syntax/spaces

#604 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,394 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

underscore and asterisk are valuable chars for all shells, so no

just take original post with the cmds in quote window and move your cursor to find out the syntax/spaces

He did say someone with knowledgeable…..  :rotfl:

What else should I try? Or mybe somebody knowledgeable could re-edit the instructions applying the most effective way of showing the spaces by underscore or asterix or else

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#605 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

He did say someone with knowledgeable….. :rotfl:

yeah, I see... finally the knowledge came here :D

#606 OFFLINE   zebra

zebra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

yeah, I see... finally the knowledge came here :D

Smarting out does not help anyone. If underscore and asterix are valid charater - another way is to go to old school -- please everybody use MONOSPACED FIXED-PITCH NON_PROPORTIONAL FONT for code entries. example: TIMES and COURIER are monospaced.

So the subject lines would look like:

sudo mkdir /mnt/fap
sudo mkdir /mnt/hr20
sudo mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap
sudo mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

sudo su

sudo xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

sudo umount /mnt/hr20

sudo umount /mnt/fap

Comment:

At first after I enterred the commands as above without sudo su  and the same error was the very first after xfsdump:

xfsrestore:ERROR: no source file(s) specified

it was followed by some dozen of lines of executing commands and stopped with "pipeline interrupted" after 13 sec wait

What else is wrong? Have no clue, but I simply repeated the sequence and that time the xfsdump worked without the "no source file.." error but another error (described in the thread above) unable to create /mnt/fap/xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied showed up. I entered sudo su and repeated the xfsdump which appears to be working - now waiting for the process to complete.

After about 2 hrs the message came up:

xfsrestore: restore complete: 6938 seconds elapsed

xfsrestore: Restore Status: SUCCESS

Thanks to all.

Now come a question: Is there a way to undelete recordings that were deleted while in the receiver?

Edited by zebra, 27 November 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#607 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

could you post c&p of your cmd executing and response's strings from Linux console?

#608 OFFLINE   zebra

zebra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

could you post c&p of your cmd executing and response's strings from Linux console?

see my updated post #606

#609 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

That's basic things - get nesessary permissions to execute your cmds; perhaps each one is using different Linux distro with different default settings and must get grasp of the procedure, not just typing something... as to my sharky remark, well, you did pick a fruit from wrong tree ;)
To undelete records you must dig into EXT journal right after deleting, or these recordings will be owerwrited by next event.

Edited by P Smith, 28 November 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#610 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,368 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

Just a quick note about fonts and proportional spacing - I agree that improves readability of commands, but many may not take the time to change the font.

As a shortcut, simply use the CODE tag to wrap your text and the forum will present it in a monospaced font.  

This is text wrapped with the CODE tag, useful for presenting commands where spacing is important.

Here's how to do it... type in the tag code with the brackets as shown:

[code]
My line of text
[/code]

#611 OFFLINE   Ranman

Ranman

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

Hi.  I spent a lot of time searching and reading this and the other threads and finally was able to successfully upgrade my HR34 to a 4Tb hard drive.  I now have 800 hours of HD recording capacity and was able to transfer over my previous recordings.  I want to share some info on my successful upgrade because I did a lot of searching here and elsewhere and did not find all of the info I had hoped on successfully completing this specific upgrade. 

For reference, my HR34 had a Western Digital WD10EURS.  I purchased a 4Tb Western Digital AV Green WD40EURX. 

As a note, you do need a standard #10 torx bid to remove the HDD from the DVR, however is DOES NOT need to be an anti-tamper bit.  No torx bits are needed to open the DVR case.  Be sure to follow previous instructions on graceful power down, etc.  I opened up the HR34 Genie box with a small slotted screwdriver into the 5 round holes from the bottom to release the tabs (2 on each side and one in the front under the small "no tamper" seal).  Gently lift the cover straight up as you get each tab released.  The HDD is mounted with 4 standard #10 torx screws (again, not tamper proof).  I removed the 1Tb HDD (WD10EURS) and plugged in my 4Tb AV Green (WD40EURX) and layed it on top of the HDD cage and booted up the DVR.  The DVR initialized the 4Tb drive no problem and eventually booted to live TV and 100% capacity (no recordings).  Graceful power down and bring both drives to the PC fpr GParted session.

Initially I ran into some various error messages and so I tried xfsdump / xfsrestore over and over with no success.  I got caught up in the ERROR -R option required to resume or -Q option required to force completion of previously interrupted restore session and didn't know how to resolve it.

Having solved it, what I believe this error means is if you attempted an xfsrestore command and it started but errored out for some reason, you will constantly get the -R -Q error on subsequent attempts b/c the system sees the previous file copy attempt / partial copy to the new drive.  You need to clear that all out and start fresh.  I used Gparted to start over from scratch.  I repartitioned the drive and file system using Gparted back to a single partition (GUID Partition table for 4Tb) and back to NTFS.  The goal here was to get the drive to look like it did when it shipped from WD.  Once I did this, I then reinitialized the drive using the HR34. Next, back to the PC with both drives for the Gparted xfsdump and xfsrestore operation. 

I used the latest Gparted 0.19.1-4 and it worked perfectly with 0 errors reported.  With this version, I opened a command prompt and ran sudo su then did the mkdir and mounts.  I also used the -p 600 option to give me status updates every 10 minutes.  My disk took 3.5hrs to copy over and I ended up with all my old recordings and 88% free once the 4Tb was reinstalled into the HR34.  So far everything is working great.  I hope this helps someone else looking at doing this upgrade.

#612 OFFLINE   DY123

DY123

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

This is a pretty old topic (2009).  I read it through and did not see much info for the new Genie HR44-500 and was not sure if it would work.  I just wanted to let anyone with this equipment know that the instructions by the original poster DO work.  Thanks to all those that contributed.

I went from a 1 TB Genie with 1% capacity remaining to a 4 TB Genie that now says 80% ....and I have all my old recordings and settings saved.  It took a weekend of trial and error but it all worked in the end.

I only had 2 problems:

1 - GParted. I tried the oldest and the newest GParted and neither worked with my system.  I finally settled on 0.4.6-1 and it worked great.

2 - "Can't Read Superblock error" No matter how many times I put the drive back in and reset/waited for lights to go out before unplugging, I still got the error.  I finally just ran xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 on the original drive and it worked. Doing that from the beginning would have saved me lots of time.

Things to be aware of:

- Just use GParted.  I tried other cloning and partition software, but the easiest was GParted.

- Make sure you follow the order of operations and are patient with your typing.

- It took 3.5 hours to transfer the 1 TB from the original to the new drive.  The screen does nothing.  You have to come back and look for "success" to know it is done.

- You don't have to disconnect your current SATA drives.  I added the 2 drives to unused SATA ports and changed the commands to sdc and sdd.

- The commands say HR20, but it can be anything as long as you keep it consistent.  Keep it at HR20 or change it to HR44 if that helps.

- After you see "success" make sure to finish correctly.  Watch for that umount vs unmount command.

- Must use a different screw or file down original screw where hard drive heatsink would make contact with the now taller 4 TB drive.

Hardware Details:

- My system Windows 7 / 64.  Drives hooked up internally by SATA cables.

- Original 1 TB drive Seagate.

- New 4 TB drive WD40EURX

- No I didn't not use the foam from the Seagate.

• Drew2k likes this

#613 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:40 AM

The screen does nothing because you missed a parameter for that: -p 666. hehehe

#614 OFFLINE   DY123

DY123

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

@PSMith I guess you completely missed the general message and tone of my post.  IT WORKED PERFECTLY.

When I say the screen does nothing, I mean it does nothing for 3.5 hours. There is no progress bar or activity on the screen to show that something is occurring. 

That was posted as a helpful hint to some of the more impatient people out there wondering why they don't see activity on their screen. 

#615 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,274 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:24 AM

well, using the "-p 600" parameter WILL GIVE you PERiODICAL REPORTS OF progress the WORKING PROGRAM

#616 OFFLINE   wmldwilly

wmldwilly

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

I've used this guide over the years since the OP put it up to great success to rescue programming from failing drives onto new drives.  This time I may have gotten to a drive too late.  I wanted to second the earlier post about adding SUDO to every command (not surprizing), but different than earlier posts about adding SUDO, I also had to add it to XFSrestore on the other side of the pipe character in the main command line that starts the job.  This is when using the latest Gparted live ISO to boot from a CD (downloaded around 3/15/2015).

With this particular copy, I'm getting a string of the following messages every now and then as the job progresses:

xfsrestore: NOTE: ino xxxx gen 0 not referenced: placing in orphanage

(in the example, xxxx is a seemingly random anywhere from 2 digit to 6 digit number)

Can anyone give me any insight on that?  Does this mean drive errors are spitting uncopyable errors at the new media?

note that I did manage to with the source drive let the DVR "repair" the drive and start up successfully and play back shows, then immediately gracefully shut it down, as well as prepped the target drive in the DVR, letting it format it then gracefully shutting down as well.  

I'm guessing the drive is just "broken" enough it's not going to be accurately copyable, which is a drag - it's filled with TV shows I designed automated lighting for. :(

any suggestions are appreciated.  Any effective drive repair techniques anyone can suggest to precede the copy job?

W

Edited by wmldwilly, 21 March 2015 - 05:07 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...