Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Well, I reversed the drives / SATA connections and they both began to work. However, the instructions explicitly stated to attach the old drive to SATA1 and the new drive to SATA0. So, any suggetions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Revise your understating of that 'recommendation' as loose statement, accept new config, adapt all copy procedure's steps to new setup. And do the copy.

#543 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

well I decided to keep the drives reversed, as they were both working, and just assigned them accordingly in the command lines. I then continued with the process and everything was going along smoothly, I was at the point where I was just waiting as all the data transferred. I decided to go outside to continue a painting project and my wife was in the house "watching" our 2 year old boy. Apparently our definitions of "watching" differs as about 30 min later she came outside to tell me he was messing with the computer... I returned to find that he'd been typing all sorts of random keys, buttons, including 'enter' (yeah me) and the program had stopped and generated a bunch of errors. So, now my new drive has God only knows what on it and I need to start over.
What's the best way to do that? I'm assuming I'll have to somehow delete all the data on the new hard drive... then maybe reformat in the dvr...
Any other ideas?

#544 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

P Smith , must have been typing at the same time. thanks for your input. any ideas on my new issue...

#545 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Just wipe first sector [MBR] from target drive and do init it in your DVR, then start the copy over ...

#546 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, however I must apologize as this is all new to me.

So, how do I "wipe first sector [MBR] "

#547 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

WinHex or similar tool on WinPC or dd for Linux - copy to sector # 0 a chunk of 512 bytes from /dev/null ...

#548 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

can I use gparted to accomplish this task?

#549 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

can I use gparted to accomplish this task?

When i wanted to wipe a drive I would use gparted to remove all partitiions.
(forgot the exact command) Then initialize with the dvr once again.

#550 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

When i wanted to wipe a drive I would use gparted to remove all partitiions.
(forgot the exact command) Then initialize with the dvr once again.

That would work too. While dd is much guarantied and make the sector 0 clean and shine. :)

#551 OFFLINE   ninedriver

ninedriver

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Thanks again guys. I wiped the drive, and started over - this time in a locked room away from "toddler programers"...and all is well. Works great...so far.

#552 OFFLINE   Tangobythebay

Tangobythebay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks to all you guys for a very informative and useful thread. I've successfully upgraded the hard drives on two DVRs without losing any recordings and without knowing one iota of Unix. All the info I needed is in this thread.

I'd like to contribute one piece of info to the thread. I saw a couple of questions with regards to using a computer with RAID arrays but I didn't see any answers. If I inadvertently missed them, I'm sure you guys will let me know. Otherwise, let me share my experience.

I run a RAID 0 array on an ASUS motherboard running Windows 7. I had no problem switching out my RAID drives for the DVR source and target drives and used the computer for the dump and restore (copying). I made sure I tagged the RAID drives that I took out with the SATA position to which each was connected (on my M/B, the numbering is SATA 1 - SATA 6) - i.e., I made sure that I knew which drive was attached to SATA 1 and which to SATA 2 (probably SATA 0 and SATA 1 on most computers).

There was no need to remove the RAID utility. My computer recognized the DVR source and target drives for the copying as independent single drives (not in any RAID array) even with the RAID utility installed. Once I completed the dump and restore, I reconnected my RAID drives making sure they were attached to the original SATA positions (on which the RAID array was built and which I tagged when I disconnected them) and powered up my computer. My computer fired up with all programs and settings as before, intact.

Thanks again for all the knowledge in this thread.

#553 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

You are using SW RAID, so removing drives and OS with RAID functionality will not affect your other drives like DVR's. Don't worry - you got it right by marking drives and SATA ports to proper re-assembly your home desktop.

#554 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

There would be no reason to remove the raid utility as that most likely resided as software on the windows drives. Booting from the gparted disk would be like booting up to an entirely different pc. Great forethought to think ahead and label the physical drive locations so that the raid array wouldn't be disturbed when putting it back the way it was.

#555 OFFLINE   Tangobythebay

Tangobythebay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I believe the RAID utility resides either in the BIOS or somewhere around the BIOS. It does not reside in Windows nor the drives. The computer needs to know how to read the drives before reading them.

#556 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

It could if you've paid $$$ or $$$$ for HW RAID card or embedded in MB. It would enterprise class equipment, not for regular user.

Doesn't looks you have it.

#557 OFFLINE   gigantor58

gigantor58

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Great tutorial! It saved me from losing all my programs after a hard drive failure. I'd like to share my experience in case it helps anyone else who is having similar issues.

A few days ago, my HR20 started blinking 3 blue lights at me that were in a triangle formation on the front of the unit. I rebooted and everything seemed to be fine, but it kept happening. I unplugged my external hard drive which had been running continuously for 4 years and the triangle of death stopped appearing. I decided that the hard drive must be failing, but hated the thought of losing all of my recordings.

Your tutorial worked like a charm, but there are few snafus that I ran into.

I discovered that the commands outlined in your tutorial do not work on the latest version of GParted. After "downgrading" to 0.3.7-7, GParted accepted the commands and all was well.

I used a USB connection on both drives, which does work, but it took over 12 hours to copy nearly a TB of files.

The hard drive that crashed was not powered down properly and sure enough, I did receive an error. I plugged it back into the HR20 and fortunately it didn't crash on me and I was able to power it down properly. After doing so, I stopped receiving the error.

I used an Hitatchi 7200 HD and a Vantec NexStar 3 enclosure that I bought from Frys for the new external hard drive.

Now that I'm up and running with the new drive, I've noticed that the HR20 is much faster that it used to be. It used to take forever for anything to happen when I looked at the guide or the list of recordings.

Thanks again!

#558 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

I can't get the version 3.7-7 to boot it says no live media found.newer versions boot fine but commands don't work. Any help?

#559 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

without posting screenshots it would be hard to help

#560 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I can't get the version 3.7-7 to boot it says no live media found.newer versions boot fine but commands don't work. Any help?

Maybe you have a bad boot disk for that version, try a re-D/L and reburn.

spam firewall