Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

Looking for PSmith or another Linux expert here.

I've done this procedure numerous times over the years. After issues with builds higher than 0.3.3-7 years ago, figured if it ain't broke, go with what you know.

First this afternoon took a filled 1TB Drive out of a Genie and copied to a 2TB Drive using 0.3.3-7

8 hours later, success, reinstall, everything is fine.

Took out a second 1TB Drive to clone to a 3TB Drive. This is first 3TB Drive.

I make sure 3TB is on device 0 and 1TB is on device 1.

I see this in the bios at startup

When 0.3.3-7 starts, I can see it recognizes the 3TB and the 1TB in GPart.

Go through mkdirs and mounts - then the xfsdump and xfsrestore.

Takes 9 seconds and says "success" files copied.

I realize something is seriously wrong. Thinking I somehow copied the 3TB to the 1TB. Check connections again. Everything is correct. Then thinking I must have somehow f'ed up my 1TB with the Programs, I put it back in the Genie.

Luckily, everything is fine.

So, I repeat everything again with the same outcome after 9 seconds.

Only thing I think of is that even though the bios and program are recognizing the 3TB Drive, the older program cannot handle.

So I burn 0.16.1-1

Delete everything off the new 3TB. Put back in Genie. Formats. Clean shutdown.

Boot with 0.16.1-1

Again, 0.16.1-1 sees both drives. Everything is where its suppose to be.

But now, when I type mkdir /mnt/fap I get "permission denied"

Even 0.3.7-1 let me create the directories with no issues.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

EDIT: for future pioneers, with 0.16.1-1 you need to be in root to create a directory, which is why I got permission denied. For whatever reason, you do not end up in root when you open terminal.

To enter a root SHELL, open the terminal and type "sudo -i" and enter.

Now you can type the usual commands, ie mkdir /mnt/fap and they will work properly.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 September 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#562 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm trying to copy a big drive to a bigger drive right now too and failing miserably. Having the same issue as you are.

Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#563 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Same error(s)?

What version Grep are you using?

And what size drive are you copying from and to?

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 24 September 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#564 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well now it's A bit different. I looked further down at the beginning of this thread and saw a link that talks about fixing a super bit error something like that I tried that and so now I got past the first issue and now looks like its training to copy but.. It keeps saying something about failed. I'll post some pictures later on the show not sure if it's copying anything or not at this point I hope so but I'm not sure if it is Going from 2 TB to 4 TB. Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#565 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Yes, the Super bit error occurred on my 1TB to 2TB clone. I fixed it with the xfs_repair command xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 and then it copied succesfully (and worked).

I am not getting a Superbit error on the current try - but it only takes several seconds to supposedly copy all the files from a 1TB to a 3TB.

1) Which version of Grep are you using?

2) IDE or SATA CD Rom?

3) Do you know what model SATA control for the HDs you are using?

#566 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

inkahauts, on 24 Sept 2013 - 9:23 PM, said:
I got past the first issue and now looks like its training to copy but.. It keeps saying something about failed. I'll post some pictures later on the show not sure if it's copying anything or not at this point I hope so but I'm not sure if it is Going from 2 TB to 4 TB.

FWIW, on the older computer that I used for this (the one that has successfully copied many 250GB/320GB/1TB & 2TB) took about 8 hours to copy a fully loaded 1TB HD to the 2TB HD. Accordingly, on this older machine, I would expect it to take around 16 hours if the 2TB was filled.

I am sure a newer machine (again this is an old 10 year unit that I have used in the past successfully) might speed this up, but I would not expect that it would speed up a simple copy by that much.

PS. I am using newer SATA Boards - and have used 2 different ones with same results. Both recognize the 3TB in bios/post and in Linux/Device. As thus I do not think they are the issue.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 24 September 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#567 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well again I don't think its copying to be honest. Here's what's showing on my screen. I've done thi procedure before and never seen this. ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1380073919.298401.jpg

#568 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

And I know it takes a while. Hours! But at least it usually works! My machine I use for this a older as well.

#569 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

Well again I don't think its copying to be honest. Here's what's showing on my screen. I've done thi procedure before and never seen this. [/url]

I've never seen that either unless its in the newer versions of the software.

What version of software are you using?

EDIT: You may be in luck. I just got the same BS on the screen using 0.3.7-7 going to a 3TB HD.

Perhaps for whatever reason, anything over 2TB displays that?

Unfortunately, I pulled the plug when it started before thinking about it and was about to start over, then decided to call it a night (or morning).

So let me know if it does work properly after you are through!

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 September 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#570 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well again I don't think its copying to be honest. Here's what's showing on my screen. I've done thi procedure before and never seen this. 

I have 100% confirmed that using a Hard Drive larger than 2TB with 0.3.7-7 displays the screen output in your post using the command switches listed on page #1 of this thread.

Whether that means it is successfully copying the files and cloning the drive, that remains to be determined.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#571 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'll say more latter but it did copy and seems to be working fine! I think I know where the glitch was. Make sure you do a good shutdown and if need be use the repair commands mentioned.

#572 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'll say more latter but it did copy and seems to be working fine! I think I know where the glitch was. Make sure you do a good shutdown and if need be use the repair commands mentioned.

Same here.

% free looks correct.

Thus far all recordings I have checked seemed to be fine.

It appears that any HD over 2TB appears to show this on screen for some reason.

#573 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Hey guys I have a HR34 with a 3TB drive, I want to get a HR44 is there anyway to keep my recordings? Id like to use the same 3TB drive since its less then 6 months old. Not sure what the best way to go about it would be, any advice would be appreciated.

#574 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hey guys I have a HR34 with a 3TB drive, I want to get a HR44 is there anyway to keep my recordings? Id like to use the same 3TB drive since its less then 6 months old. Not sure what the best way to go about it would be, any advice would be appreciated.

no, there is no way to transfer recordings.  if you get rid of the 34 you will be getting rid of your recordings as well

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#575 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Couldn't I  get another 3 TB drive, format it then copy from my previous hard drive like described in this thread?

#576 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

#577 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

Nope. All sat recordings are tied to the receiver they were recorded on. The only thing you can take with you from one DVR to the next is over the air recordings. So if you have been doing everything over the air for your local networks you could take those with you. no copying required.

#578 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,314 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Couldn't I  get another 3 TB drive, format it then copy from my previous hard drive like described in this thread?

only if it was that easy or even possible.  if you could I would have not said there is no way to transfer recordings 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#579 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

Thanks this post above is what threw me off...

"Same here.

% free looks correct.

Thus far all recordings I have checked seemed to be fine.

It appears that any HD over 2TB appears to show this on screen for some reason."

http://www.dbstalk.c...rial/?p=3186264

The part in bold indicated to me transferring recordings was possible and confirmed.

#580 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

It’s been a long time since I did anything with the drives in my HR series, but if I recall correctly you can clone a drive to a similar or larger drive and save the recordings in the same machine.  If I recall there is a code embedded in the recordings that identifies which machine recorded the content and only that machine can access it. 

Long ago I wanted to do the same thing, only option I found was to add a card to my computer and use software on the PC to copy all the content i wanted to save.  Too expensive since I wanted an HD version of the material saved and too time consuming. A card or add on unit that accepts component video is the only option for HD transfer, I believe HDMI will block recording and I'm not aware of any way to input HDMI into a computer.  Is the content not available anywhere else?   Is the HR34 problematic? 

If it's not content you want to save long term but only watch and delete best option is to add the HR44 and pay the mirroring fee on the HR34 until you view all the content.  Saving content on the HR series long term for archival purposes is a bad idea since A- you don’t own the unit and B- hard drives fail.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...