Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Nope, except do you own it or is it a leased box? It would be safer and easier to just throw a 1 or 2TB in an MX-1 and boot it up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mrz2u

mrz2u

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

Well I am not too concerned about the administrative questions on this topic...that is for each individual to consider on their own. For what it is worth, I will buy the unit I will do this to from Best Buy and shell out $199 of my own money so as far as I am concerned, I own that one and will do with it as I please :cool:.

I am only concerned with the technical aspects of this and input on that part. I will find out one way or the other on my own, just wondered if anyone say a flaw in my plan and could save me the trouble associated with it.
I will be switching to Direct from Dish later this month so I am doing this as its it far and away the cheapest route to get more time and if its done from the get go then its pretty darn easy as well.

#43 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

FWIW the HR20-700 (as shown in this excellent tutorial) is the MOST difficult to open and remove the drive because you have to deal with the front panel removal. Be VERY careful with the cable that connects to the front panel. All the other models simply need the top cover removed to give you direct access to the drive without dealing with the front panel.

#44 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

Well, you actually don't own it despite what you state which is why you sign a lease agreement at BB upon paying them the money. You must return it upon cancellation or you'll be charged ~$600. As far as modifying the DVR you leased that is entirely up to you and many people have done so. As you say, as long you are aware of the terms and the POSSIBILITY of a charge and send it back to them in it's "original" condition when the time comes it's unlikely they will bother you. Haven't yet heard anyone post here stating they gave them a problem for sending back a box that had been opened. Of course it's "YMMV."

Well I am not too concerned about the administrative questions on this topic...that is for each individual to consider on their own. For what it is worth, I will buy the unit I will do this to from Best Buy and shell out $199 of my own money so as far as I am concerned, I own that one and will do with it as I please. :cool:

#45 OFFLINE   bovineyard

bovineyard

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:52 AM

I ordered two Western Digital 1.5T (WD15EADS) Hard Drives, is there any reason why Clonezilla wouldn't work on transferring data from the existing hard drives in my HR 22 and HR 23 models, as opposed to Gparted? Thanks.

#46 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:27 AM

NEED HELP.......Thanks to Clambert's post I ventured out to copy my WD 500gb external drive to my newly purchased WD 2tb. I was a tad nervous working inside the computer hooking everything up, etc., but I did overcome that fear and everything setup nd booted up just fine.

Here is my problem. I followed all the instructions to a "T" and received all the prompts as described; including "restoring non-directory files" and "Restore Status: SUCCESS". However, the process only took 8-seconds after I received the success message and the data did not transfer over.

Can someone shed some light on what may of happened? As I mentioned, I followed ALL the instructions and the process seemed to go smoothly. What could have gone wrong and/or what could I do differently to make it transfer properly?

Many thx and I look forward to someone helping me with this.......

#47 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:05 AM

You mightve hooked the drives up backwards. Put the 500gb back in the hddvr and see if you have any data.

#48 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:50 AM

As I mentioned, I checked in DParted that the drives did show up and in the proper order. Clambert's instructions are outstanding and it is hard to mess it up, especially since I got the same messages along the way as he described I should, however it did not take 2.5 hrs like it should have???????

#49 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

BTW: all my recordings are still on the 500gb.........

#50 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

I agree that it sounds like you hooked up the drives backwards. Using xfsdump/xfsrestore with an empty source drive does not delete the contents of the target drive and would be quick like you experienced. You might want to try the command "fdisk -l" before mounting the drives and "df -h" after mounting them to make sure the disk names and mount points are as you would expect.

#51 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

The thing is that when I followed the instructions and went to the GParted drop down box and than "devices" the drives showed up identically as in the picture.

What exactly does "fdisk -l" and "df -h" do? Can you mount the drives after you already loaded the GParted & Terminal software? I double and triple checked and unless I did something completely dumb (which is possible:-) I think I hooked up and did the procedure correctly. Especially since I got all the message described in the thread.

I'll try again right now or early tomorrow morning and post back..........

#52 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

fdisk -l will list the partitions in your system like this:

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdf: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdf1 1 66 530113+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdf2 67 2025 15735667+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdf3 2026 60801 472118220 83 Linux

df -h will show you your mount points with disk space listed in megabytes or gigabytes instead of kilobytes like this df -k output below:

root@Knoppix:/ramdisk/home/knoppix# df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
<snip>
/dev/sda2 15725376 2132 15723244 1% /mnt/fap
/dev/sdb2 15725376 355564 15369812 3% /mnt/hr20

Ignore the fact that these are outputs from two different systems that I cut and pasted from the forums, but hopefully you get the idea. With fdisk you can see which is the bigger drive, and with df you can see how they are mounted.

Edited by ntrance, 20 December 2009 - 03:18 AM.
added kilobytes

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

And I would say - before race in unfamiliar city, look into map of it.

Internet is full of details about Linux, commands, outputs, etc. Prepare yourself and you'll make it fine. Or it remind me old movies about airplane racing over Europe hundred years ago; those German pilots got reading first book "how take off", but lost other one - "How to landing". :D

#54 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

Is it fair to say that if the GParted : Devices menu shows the 2tb drive as "sda" and the old 500gb drive as "sdb" that the motherboard and/or computer I am using is recognizing both drives? I think I read somewhere about configuring the bios???

I appreciate all the help and will attempt in the morning............

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

Don't trust BIOS numbers - always use 'fdisk -l' !!!

#56 OFFLINE   turfster

turfster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Well I finally had success after several tries at it. It had my SATA2 off in the bios and obviously was not reading my old HR20 drive. The old drive and my computer's drive are the same size and that is the reason for confusion. When I checked GParted devices the new 2tb drive showed up and a "1tb" drive showed up too, but my computer's drive. Once I checked in the bios and found the second SATA in the off setting I figured out the problem.

After I coupled of failed attempts at entering in the wrong strings it finally took off. The entire copying time was 13 hours; yes 13 hours for a 1tb drive to copy to my new 2tb drive. The whole process was way worth it and the HR20 is working perfectly with my new WD 2tb drive in an Antec MX-1 external enclosure.

Thanks for all help along the way. I am not a computer expert, but do have a comfort level popping the side lid off and poking my head inside and hooking up the cables, etc. Where my problem lied was in configuring the SATA and navigating the GParted software. But in the end all is good.

Mant thx again.........

#57 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

I just copied my 1.5 TB drive to a 2 TB drive (Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 5900 RPM). Per the xfsdump output, it took 9 hrs and 43 mins to copy 1.45TB.

#58 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

In THIS post, I described how an external hard drive I've been using has been going bad. I can use it for a day, but then it starts causing my HR23-700 to reboot.

The other day, I purchased a 2TB WD hard drive (with Antec MX1 enclosure), and am using these instructions to copy my old drive onto the new one. Everything goes fine until I get to the part where you enter:

mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20

It then gives me the message "mount: dev/sdb2: can't read superblock"

I assume this has to do with my hard drive having an issue, but is sdb2 all that important? Using GParted, I see that sdb2 is listed at 15.01 gb... with only 1.20 used? That's obviously not my recorded programs, but most likely DirecTV's assigned space for DoD, correct?

~Alan

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

that partition keep a few system files and (!) descriptors of recordings what are locate in next partition - see that 'rtdev" parameter, ie sdb3 in your case is real-time extension of sdb2. You will need to read back troubleshooting of super-block corruption - it should be fixed first.

#60 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

that partition keep a few system files and (!) descriptors of recordings what are locate in next partition - see that 'rtdev" parameter, ie sdb3 in your case is real-time extension of sdb2. You will need to read back troubleshooting of super-block corruption - it should be fixed first.

I have VERY little experience with Linux and the like. What's the best way to do the above?

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...