Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

It’s been a long time since I did anything with the drives in my HR series, but if I recall correctly you can clone a drive to a similar or larger drive and save the recordings in the same machine.  If I recall there is a code embedded in the recordings that identifies which machine recorded the content and only that machine can access it.

If it's not content you want to save long term but only watch and delete best option is to add the HR44 and pay the mirroring fee on the HR34 until you view all the content.  Saving content on the HR series long term for archival purposes is a bad idea since A- you don’t own the unit and B- hard drives fail.

Is this still true or has it been verified?

I have an HR-21 and I will be upgrading to am HR-24. I was going to use this process to copy the recordings over to the new box, but if this is true, it won't work anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

nothing changed as we knew

but as usual: you can try and tell us ... perhaps some miracle change in FW left unnoticed by us ;)

#583 OFFLINE   gandalf239

gandalf239

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

As a DirecTV customer, and professional computer technician, I appreciate this topic. As I have leased equipment, I'm unable to put knowledge into action. Hard drive in the HR44-500 in my house failed. To ease the sting of the lost content, I politely asked DTV for a free Genie Go. They said no. I took it to social media, and they caved. Not only am I getting a replacement Genie, but I've gotten a free Genie Go out of this fiasco. Moral of the story: be polite, but persistent.

#584 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

You had options.  While I don’t have a Genie all the HD DRVs I have have the option of an external drive or you could have copied the failing HD and replaced it.  My content is move valuable than any slap on the wrist D might give, though I've never heard of anyone having an issue.  

#585 OFFLINE   gandalf239

gandalf239

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

You had options.  While I don’t have a Genie all the HD DRVs I have have the option of an external drive or you could have copied the failing HD and replaced it.  My content is move valuable than any slap on the wrist D might give, though I've never heard of anyone having an issue.  

Out of curiosity, what does DTV do if they ascertain a leased box has been opened? I could easily have done it--I certainly have the technical acumen. I know another drive, along with a GParted live CD would do the trick. Instead of that, I wanted to make a point with DTV, and I stuck to my guns. Not only did they send a replacement receiver, but I got a free Genie Go out of the deal. Plus, using a trick I learned at work, I froze the old the receiver (without opening it), and as able to get the drive back up and running long enough to copy five movies from it via the Genie Go to my mobile device(s). Now I've got 30 days to watch content I didn't get around to watching before.

#586 OFFLINE   photojon

photojon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the great initial post and to others on the fourm who helped get me through this.  I thought I would add a couple things I had to do to get Gparted-livecd to work in the flow in "2014" ;-).  

In step 10, none of the Linux commands worked for me without adding a "sudo" in front of each command.  Unfortunately, when I got to the "xfsdump" step, even the "sudo" in front  of the command didn't work.  I got an "ERROR: unable to create /mnt/fap/xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied".  

Researching a different thread, I saw a recommendation to perform a "sudo password" to set a superuser password.  After the password was set, I then typed "su" to switch to SuperUser and pressed enter.  I was then prompted for the password which I had just set.   Once I did that, the "xfsdump" step worked great.  And my drive was successfully copied.

#587 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

Is this still true or has it been verified?

I have an HR-21 and I will be upgrading to am HR-24. I was going to use this process to copy the recordings over to the new box, but if this is true, it won't work anyway.

I may be wrong -But if you copy a Drive from a HR21 going to larger Drive or the same size it will work - I don't think anyone has copied a drive and moved it a different receiver as you want to do - The "drive" info is tied to a marker in the "BOX" as I understand it.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#588 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,373 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Yeah can't move content to a different DVR. Only a larger drive for the same DVR.

The only exception is over the air recordings will transfer.

#589 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,373 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

#590 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

Not nessesary "larger", any drive what is big enough for actual data size.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...