Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

It’s been a long time since I did anything with the drives in my HR series, but if I recall correctly you can clone a drive to a similar or larger drive and save the recordings in the same machine.  If I recall there is a code embedded in the recordings that identifies which machine recorded the content and only that machine can access it.

If it's not content you want to save long term but only watch and delete best option is to add the HR44 and pay the mirroring fee on the HR34 until you view all the content.  Saving content on the HR series long term for archival purposes is a bad idea since A- you don’t own the unit and B- hard drives fail.

Is this still true or has it been verified?

I have an HR-21 and I will be upgrading to am HR-24. I was going to use this process to copy the recordings over to the new box, but if this is true, it won't work anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

nothing changed as we knew

but as usual: you can try and tell us ... perhaps some miracle change in FW left unnoticed by us ;)

#583 OFFLINE   gandalf239

gandalf239

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

As a DirecTV customer, and professional computer technician, I appreciate this topic. As I have leased equipment, I'm unable to put knowledge into action. Hard drive in the HR44-500 in my house failed. To ease the sting of the lost content, I politely asked DTV for a free Genie Go. They said no. I took it to social media, and they caved. Not only am I getting a replacement Genie, but I've gotten a free Genie Go out of this fiasco. Moral of the story: be polite, but persistent.

#584 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

You had options.  While I don’t have a Genie all the HD DRVs I have have the option of an external drive or you could have copied the failing HD and replaced it.  My content is move valuable than any slap on the wrist D might give, though I've never heard of anyone having an issue.  

#585 OFFLINE   gandalf239

gandalf239

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

You had options.  While I don’t have a Genie all the HD DRVs I have have the option of an external drive or you could have copied the failing HD and replaced it.  My content is move valuable than any slap on the wrist D might give, though I've never heard of anyone having an issue.  

Out of curiosity, what does DTV do if they ascertain a leased box has been opened? I could easily have done it--I certainly have the technical acumen. I know another drive, along with a GParted live CD would do the trick. Instead of that, I wanted to make a point with DTV, and I stuck to my guns. Not only did they send a replacement receiver, but I got a free Genie Go out of the deal. Plus, using a trick I learned at work, I froze the old the receiver (without opening it), and as able to get the drive back up and running long enough to copy five movies from it via the Genie Go to my mobile device(s). Now I've got 30 days to watch content I didn't get around to watching before.

#586 OFFLINE   photojon

photojon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the great initial post and to others on the fourm who helped get me through this.  I thought I would add a couple things I had to do to get Gparted-livecd to work in the flow in "2014" ;-).  

In step 10, none of the Linux commands worked for me without adding a "sudo" in front of each command.  Unfortunately, when I got to the "xfsdump" step, even the "sudo" in front  of the command didn't work.  I got an "ERROR: unable to create /mnt/fap/xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied".  

Researching a different thread, I saw a recommendation to perform a "sudo password" to set a superuser password.  After the password was set, I then typed "su" to switch to SuperUser and pressed enter.  I was then prompted for the password which I had just set.   Once I did that, the "xfsdump" step worked great.  And my drive was successfully copied.

#587 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

Is this still true or has it been verified?

I have an HR-21 and I will be upgrading to am HR-24. I was going to use this process to copy the recordings over to the new box, but if this is true, it won't work anyway.

I may be wrong -But if you copy a Drive from a HR21 going to larger Drive or the same size it will work - I don't think anyone has copied a drive and moved it a different receiver as you want to do - The "drive" info is tied to a marker in the "BOX" as I understand it.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#588 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Yeah can't move content to a different DVR. Only a larger drive for the same DVR.

The only exception is over the air recordings will transfer.

#589 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

#590 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:15 AM

Not nessesary "larger", any drive what is big enough for actual data size.

#591 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for the great initial post and to others on the fourm who helped get me through this.  I thought I would add a couple things I had to do to get Gparted-livecd to work in the flow in "2014" ;-).  

In step 10, none of the Linux commands worked for me without adding a "sudo" in front of each command.  Unfortunately, when I got to the "xfsdump" step, even the "sudo" in front  of the command didn't work.  I got an "ERROR: unable to create /mnt/fap/

xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied".  

Researching a different thread, I saw a recommendation to perform a "sudo password" to set a superuser password.  After the password was set, I then typed "su" to switch to SuperUser and pressed enter.  I was then prompted for the password which I had just set.   Once I did that, the "xfsdump" step worked great.  And my drive was successfully copied.

What size drive did you move to - and which version of G-Parted did you use?

#592 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

I have always stuck to using the original gparted version in the original post and followed the commands exactly and it works fine. When you use newer versions stuff happens that i don't know how to get around. Sometimes the old stuff is the best stuff imho. ;)

#593 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

I have always stuck to using the original gparted version in the original post and followed the commands exactly and it works fine. When you use newer versions stuff happens that i don't know how to get around. Sometimes the old stuff is the best stuff imho. ;)

Yes, but i have found that copying to a Hard Drive larger than 2TB has issues and wondering if the newer versions solve these issues.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 04 November 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#594 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

It does? I've done it a few times and while it says there is an issue as its copying there is not. The key is making sure you truly shut down the DVR properly for both the old and the new drives in the dvr before copying as if you don't the file system is hosed and then it won't copy right.

#595 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

just replaced the hard drive in my hr20-700 and had no problems except for getting the pin next to the fan plug back in...can anyone tell me the trick to lining it up?  the one next to the grounding screw i didn't have to push all the way out, so that one i got back together pretty easily...i've done a few searches of the thread but haven't been able to find anything about it, unless i'm searching for the wrong terms.

will it hurt anything if i just screw everything back together and leave the one pin out?

#596 OFFLINE   infin

infin

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

I had a question, when you put a new larger drive in, and let the H2x format the drive, can you use it at this point? or do you have to connect the drives to the PC?  I dont care about settings/recorded shows.

Also what is the best 2T drive to use right now?

WD20EURS?

WD20EURX?

Edited by infin, 24 November 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#597 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

If a new drive formats in the DVR it's ready to go.. It's easier to connect an (esata) external than replacing the internal tho.

People discuss drives in this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...commended-list/

#598 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

I had a question, when you put a new larger drive in, and let the H2x format the drive, can you use it at this point? or do you have to connect the drives to the PC?  I dont care about settings/recorded shows.

Also what is the best 2T drive to use right now?

WD20EURS?

WD20EURX?

From what I understand, the EURX is the same drive except with SATA III 6 Gbps Interface instead of SATA II. I have both in use. No issues

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, DECA Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Slimeline-5, SWM16, WHDVR, OTA=21, WOW (Knology) Cable = 50Mbps Internet & Phone,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#599 OFFLINE   zebra

zebra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

HELP please:

strugling and going ahead.

2T disk formated inside HR20-100. Ejected by software Reset and waite till Blue Lites go out, listened for drive to spin down but never did - pulled the power plug a while after the Blue leds went out.

Got error on /dev/dba2: can't read superblock. Applied: sudo xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2. Afterwards applied the mount command without erros.

next point:  sudo mount ,,, on sda and sdb worked without errors.

But : sudo xfsdump -J -/mnt/hr20| xfsrestore -J -/mnt/fap returned errors:

xfsrestor:ERROR: no surce file(s) specified

xfsrestore: Restore Status: ERROR

What am I doing wrong? Is there a space after second - in the command?

#600 OFFLINE   zebra

zebra

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

In step 10, none of the Linux commands worked for me without adding a "sudo" in front of each command.  Unfortunately, when I got to the "xfsdump" step, even the "sudo" in front  of the command didn't work.  I got an "ERROR: unable to create /mnt/fap/xfsrestorehousekeepingdir: Permission denied".  

Can you please give guidance to a newb how and what excatly to do to do "sudo password".

When I enter "sudo password" I get and error indicating no such command. ???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...