Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

I have VERY little experience with Linux and the like. What's the best way to do the above?

~Alan

You need to perform a "graceful shutdown" on both drives. See this post:
http://www.dbstalk.c...d.php?p=2263005

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:35 AM

Interresting, I was notified of a new post by you, but I don't see it in the forum:
---Quote (Originally by ntrance)---
You need to perform a "graceful shutdown" on both drives. See this post:
http://www.dbstalk.c...d.php?p=2263005
---End Quote---
I've tried that to no avail, so I used *xfs_check /dev/sdb2 *like you suggested and came up with the following:

---Quote---
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_check. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption - please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.
---End Quote---
~Alan
You tried the menu restart again on both drives since seeing the superblock error? You must wait until all the lights go out on the front of the receiver before you pull the plug. If you did that, you can try to delete the log file using the following command:
xfs_repair -L -r /dev/sd?3 /dev/sd?2 (where ? is the letter of the drive with the error)

#63 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

Interresting, I was notified of a new post by you, but I don't see it in the forum:

Yeah, I did something stupid, and when I realized what I did, I followed your instructions again, and it worked fine.

Unfortunately, my fears were realized when during the middle of copying last night, the old hard drive had issues, so the new hard drive didn't get a "full copy".

My only hope I guess is to try and delete some of the "less important" stuff from the old hard drive to make it copy over faster and hope it's enough to allow it to copy right.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 01 January 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

This looks great. But I have one question. This is basically UNIX, correct. Could this then be done easier on a Mac using Terminal and the same commands? I have a Mac Pro with 4 sata bays, but I'm not sure the mac uses the master slave thing. I think all 4 drives that are in there now are all set to the defaults.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the Mac assigns the names of the disk. I just looked and each disk has a BSDName: disk0, disk1, disk2, disk3. Is that what I need?

I guess I have one more question. I've already had one hd fry, so I checked with a friend who does hd recovery, and he says the best drives these days are Hitachi Enterprise editions. The A7K2000 is their 2TB version. Will this work?

Edited by rlinsurf, 12 January 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

"best drives these days are" any reliable one , preferable AV line like CimemaStar

#66 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

Do you think the hitachi would work though?

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

It should, but usually those kind are expensive.

#68 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

Heh. I know ;)

Thanks.

#69 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

The one step I'm confused is how to make the GParted CD. I don't see any readme that has those instructions. Can someone tell me how to do that?

nm.

Edited by rlinsurf, 15 January 2010 - 10:12 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:06 AM

The one step I'm confused is how to make the GParted CD. I don't see any readme that has those instructions. Can someone tell me how to do that?

nm.

Download the iso file from the link provided in post # 11 above (currently gparted-live –0.4.6-1.iso) and use it to create the CD. Google “burn iso” if creating a CD from an iso image file is new to you.
-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#71 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

Has anyone ever used an Antec Easy SATA to copy a drive? I currently have a 750g in a MX-1 and since I seem to be living between 15-20%, would like to upgrade.

My though it if I could use one of these, which has a port for an external eSATA drive, I could place a 2TB drive in the unit and then connect my MX-1 to the external port and copy from there. It would just make it a bit easier if I didn't have to swap drives all over the place every time I want to do an upgrade.

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

Sounds good, but no one chimed with the device, so you are will be the first one.

#73 OFFLINE   johndumke

johndumke

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Last week I upgraded my HR20-700 with this drive. I put the drive in without copying the data over. It booted and seemed like it was working, but would lock up regularly. It seemed like it was getting better after a couple of days, but the locking up of recorded programs never really resolved itself. The playback of recorded programs would lock up for several seconds to 30 seconds. This lock up would happen anywhere from once every 20 seconds to every 30 minutes.

I figured maybe the drive was bad, so I tried to download the WD lifeguard diagnostics. What I noticed is that this new 64mb cache drive is a new type of drive, called an advanced format drive, where the sector size can be changed from 512b to 4kb. The drive can be configured in for different sector sizes, which is required for the drive to work properly with WinXP.

The bottom line is that I just don't think this new style of hard drive will be compatable with the DVR.

So this is just a word of warning regarding this new "Advanced Format" drive. It may work if you know how to properly set it up. But I am just not tech savy enough.

So until somebody knows how to get it working, I would be cautious.

I ordered the older WD15EADS drive today, hopefully this will work without a problem.

#74 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Perhaps, you should format it first using convenient 512 sector size - as DVR Linux expected.

#75 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

How do I perform a graceful shutdown of a drive already in an MX-1?

Same procedure? or will I need to mount it in the receiver?

I do assume that I can format the new drive in the enclosure.

Thanks

#76 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

How do I perform a graceful shutdown of a drive already in an MX-1?

Same procedure? or will I need to mount it in the receiver?

I do assume that I can format the new drive in the enclosure.

Thanks

Whichever drive was recognized and used by the HR2x at power up is the one that will receive the graceful shutdown. Yes, the drive will format in the enclosure.

Edited by daniellee, 22 January 2010 - 10:09 AM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#77 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks.

#78 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

so i put a new 1 TB drive in an MX-1. It is a bit loud for my taste and I'd like to go down the road of installing it internally now. Since it has been formatted already (in the MX-1), can I just skip the formatting step and go right to the Gparted copy phase? or must I do something differently now that data has already been written to it?

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#79 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

My eyesight is playing tricks on me... is the above:

xfsdump[space][hyphen][capital J][space][hyphen][space] etc...?

and is the vertical line between the hr20 and the xfsrestore the same as the double vertical dashed key that is above the backslash [SHIFT + \ ]?

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#80 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

is the above:

xfsdump[space][hyphen][capital J][space][hyphen][space] etc...?

Yes.

and is the vertical line between the hr20 and the xfsrestore the same as the double vertical dashed key that is above the backslash [SHIFT + \ ]?

Yes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...