Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

How do I perform a graceful shutdown of a drive already in an MX-1?

Same procedure? or will I need to mount it in the receiver?

I do assume that I can format the new drive in the enclosure.

Thanks

Whichever drive was recognized and used by the HR2x at power up is the one that will receive the graceful shutdown. Yes, the drive will format in the enclosure.

Edited by daniellee, 22 January 2010 - 10:09 AM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,201 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks.

#78 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

so i put a new 1 TB drive in an MX-1. It is a bit loud for my taste and I'd like to go down the road of installing it internally now. Since it has been formatted already (in the MX-1), can I just skip the formatting step and go right to the Gparted copy phase? or must I do something differently now that data has already been written to it?

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#79 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

My eyesight is playing tricks on me... is the above:

xfsdump[space][hyphen][capital J][space][hyphen][space] etc...?

and is the vertical line between the hr20 and the xfsrestore the same as the double vertical dashed key that is above the backslash [SHIFT + \ ]?

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#80 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

is the above:

xfsdump[space][hyphen][capital J][space][hyphen][space] etc...?

Yes.

and is the vertical line between the hr20 and the xfsrestore the same as the double vertical dashed key that is above the backslash [SHIFT + \ ]?

Yes.

#81 OFFLINE   johndumke

johndumke

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

Perhaps, you should format it first using convenient 512 sector size - as DVR Linux expected.

The older style WD15EADS worked. This evening I installed the older style WD15EADS drive into a HR20-700 and it took without any difficulty. Just a straight install with no copying files.

As I mentioned before the WD15EARS (64mb Cache - Advanced Format) drive didn't work well. Yes I could have probably set the newer style drive to be a fixed 512 sector size and this may have worked, but I was too lazy and just used the drive in my Windows Home Server.

On Western Digital's website, under downloads for the drive (WD15EARS -64mb) there is a utility that sets the sector size. This isn't needed with Win7 or Vista, but the WD website said that if this drive is used in XP, then either a jumper needs to be set, or the utility need to modify the drive. This newer type disk worked in the WHS box with no jumpers or utility settings.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the great instructions.

#82 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

Hi--

I'm still having issues with gparted running under ubuntu.

STEP 10 – COPY THE SUCKER

5. Click on the desktop to make the Device Screen go away.

6. Double click on the Terminal Icon to open the terminal window. This will allow you to manually enter in some commands.

Am I right in assuming that gparted is just for checking the disks are correctly assigned, and that Terminal on the GParted CD would be the same as the one in ubuntu? So could I just run these commands from Terminal in ubuntu, assuming that I have assigned the drives correctly?

#83 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

Hi--

Am I right in assuming that gparted is just for checking the disks are correctly assigned, and that Terminal on the GParted CD would be the same as the one in ubuntu? So could I just run these commands from Terminal in ubuntu, assuming that I have assigned the drives correctly?

Terminal is a program that lets you access the linux command line environment. What you can do while in the terminal session is completely dependent on the particular version/distribution of linux you are running. So no, you cannot just assume that commands available on the GParted CD will also be available on the ubuntu CD. It may work or it may not – no harm in trying it though.

Edited by daniellee, 24 January 2010 - 11:42 AM.

-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#84 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hi--

What are you doing? gparted is a boot disk, hook the 2 drives to the same pc and boot it using the disk, then type the commands in the instructions...dont try to run the disk on a computer already running an operating system. The boot disk becomes that PC's operating system for that session...with some of the questions that have been posted about this very simple process over the last few weeks its seems there are some people attempting this that should be using their "phone a friend". :lol:

#85 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

What are you doing? gparted is a boot disk, hook the 2 drives to the same pc and boot it using the disk, then type the commands in the instructions...dont try to run the disk on a computer already running an operating system. The boot disk becomes that PC's operating system for that session...with some of the questions that have been posted about this very simple process over the last few weeks its seems there are some people attempting this that should be using their "phone a friend". :lol:

Ok, maybe you didn't read through my whole thread. This is an Intel Mac Pro, not a PC. The GParted CD only boots as far as the command line, no farther. So I installed a complete version of Ubuntu 9.10 on a volume, not just running from the Ubuntu CD. Otherwise, I have no way of doing this.

Looks to me you have umount, xfsdump, and mkdir. Those are all standard commands. Anyway, I'm going to give it a try.

#86 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Ok. I booted into the Ubuntu CD and checked the partitions. Now I'm a bit concerned. The sba1 is the new drive, which is 2TB and has one XFS partition as described in the tuitorial (I replaced the old drive in the unit and allowed the unit to format the new drive.)

However, the old drive, is coming up as my old Mac Drive that was in the space previously -- a 1 TB HFS+ volume. But in reality, it's a 320GB DirectTV drive -- and I checked and that is the correct drive.

So now I'm stuck. Why isn't it reading the old drive properly? Is there a way to check to see if the dev partition is there in Terminal in Ubuntu?

#87 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

fdisk -l

#88 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

fdisk -l

Thanks. That worked great. It looks like the drive wasn't firmly connected to the sata cable. Once that was done, fdisk found it.

Ok, so here's the thing. Again, this is a Mac. It has 4 bays, which assign the disks. Bay 1 is sda, Bay 2 sdb, etc.

But now, even though both xfs volumes are showing, and the new drive in Bay 1 is showing as sda, the old drive, which is in Bay 2, is showing as sdc!

So here's my question. Will this work if the commands are changed to sdc, rather than sdb?

Like: mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdc3 /dev/sdc2 /mnt/hr20

#89 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

yes, don't be confused by physical bays and logical names; always check in OS the assignments

#90 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,201 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

OK, my new drives (WD15EVDS) are out for delivery.

My question is simple. Is it possible for this process to "go south" and for me to lose the shows stored on my drive?

I have done several TiVo based drive copies in the past with no issues, but for some reason I am not as confident in my ability to pull this one off.

I may try this on my daughter's unit first. That way if she loses some Spongebob's and Tru Jackson's, she will have a disk full again within the week.:)

#91 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

yes, don't be confused by physical bays and logical names; always check in OS the assignments

Hi--

Ok, that all went well. However. I am now screwed it seems.

Near the end of the copying, my power went out. I re-attached the new drive, and all seemed well. All my programs, etc. were there.

Unfortunately, when I then restarted the unit just to make sure, I got the blue screen of death, and error 14-129 saying there was a problem with the drive, I need to call support, and one button -- reboot.

I called support, and they told me I couldn't format the drive because it would "screw things up". They were going to send a technician to replace the entire unit, which means I'll lose everything <gulp>!

So I went back in the my linux distro installer and deleted all the partitions on the drive, making them all free space, figuring that once back in the unit, DTV would format the drive properly.

No go. When placed back in the unit, I get the same error.

Help!!

#92 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

:bang

So, I'm an idiot...

I checked everything again -- more carefully this time. Apparently, I had nudged the sata power cable when re-connecting it, so that it came just slightly loose from the motherboard. No power, no drive.

I reconnected the cable securely, and now, all is well.

Thanks again.

BTW, unless anyone objects to my stupidity, I'll try to post the whole process for any Mac folks out there later, including all my dumb mistakes.

#93 OFFLINE   zzzxxx

zzzxxx

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

rlinsurf,

Please do post a summary of your copying process using a mac. I also have a mac pro, and would like to duplicate your work.

thanks,
zzzxxx

#94 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

Is there a timeframe on xfs restore on a per gb basis or anyway to check the status?

I am moving a 750GB (70% filled) to a 1.5TB and it has been running for 5 hours now, I let it run overnight last night 12 hours and it didn't finish so I killed it, reformatted the 1.5TB drive and am trting again. The estimated dump size listed is 490.5GB.

I successfully moved a 320gb (75% full) to a 1.5TB in about 2-3 hours.

It is just sitting on xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files

Edited by davel, 05 February 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#95 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

I hope you didn't break 'a pipe'

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

dump->restore linked by the pipe [|] and if it broken, then restore will wait indefinitely

#96 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

Is there a timeframe on xfs restore on a per gb basis or anyway to check the status?

You can add -p to get updates at certain intervals. To get updates every 10 minutes use:
xfsdump -J -p 600 - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

#97 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

xfsdump -J -p 600 - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J -p 600 - /mnt/fap
would give me the restore progress?

#98 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

xfsdump -J -p 600 - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J -p 600 - /mnt/fap
would give me the restore progress?

I have only ever tried the -p option as part of the dump command, but I assume it would worked the same for the restore command. I imagine that if you added it to both, you would get two status reports at a time that are very similar. I think adding the -p to either the dump or the restore command is sufficient.

Edited by ntrance, 09 February 2010 - 10:58 PM.
I did not notice the -p added to the restore command at the time of my original reply

#99 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

I started this process 1 1/2 weeks ago but had to stop at the point to remove the grounding wire since I didn't have a hollow tip tool. Other than newly recorded programs there hasn't been any changes to the software. Do I need to start from the beginning or can I skip straight to the part where I copy the files over to the new hdd when I re-do this with the new tools.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#100 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

I started this process 1 1/2 weeks ago but had to stop at the point to remove the grounding wire since I didn't have a hollow tip tool. Other than newly recorded programs there hasn't been any changes to the software. Do I need to start from the beginning or can I skip straight to the part where I copy the files over to the new hdd when I re-do this with the new tools.

Bump
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

Protected By... spam firewall...And...