Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

Bump

If you mean, you had formatted the new drive then put the old drive back in to record programs, then you should just be able to power down the old drive and finish the copy.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

So after fighting with this for about a week now and letting it run overnight with no success, it is finally copying.

I didn't realize for all my failures that the hdd activity light wasn't on, realizing that the copy was hung (for hours). When I hit control C it only showed that about 7 mb was dumped. Nowhere close to the 500gb file.

I tried with the following:
0.5.1-1 gparted CD with sata->achi in the bios with no luck,
0.5.1-1 gparted CD with sata->native IDE in the bios with no luck
0.4.6-1 gparted CD with sata->legacy IDE in the bios and it is now working!!

Not sure if it is the gparted version or the translation of the sata drives. On all three, gparted detected the drives, just refused to copy on the first two.

Hope this helps someone else out.

#103 OFFLINE   stephensrob1

stephensrob1

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Same issue here. Let it run overnight. After control C it reported 20mb dumped. Used the newest version of gparted.

#104 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:07 PM

I didn't realize for all my failures that the hdd activity light wasn't on, realizing that the copy was hung (for hours). When I hit control C it only showed that about 7 mb was dumped.

Did you end up adding the -p option (progress report) to the commands? Was anything reported while it was hung?

#105 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

If you mean, you had formatted the new drive then put the old drive back in to record programs, then you should just be able to power down the old drive and finish the copy.

Yes that's what I was asking. I just bought the security torx yesterday to complete it this weekend. Thanks.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#106 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Did you end up adding the -p option (progress report) to the commands? Was anything reported while it was hung?

Yeah, tried it and nothing.

#107 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

Yeah, tried it and nothing.

Did you try again on the copy session that worked, and get the expected progress reports that time?

#108 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Did you try again on the copy session that worked, and get the expected progress reports that time?

Nope, I was just frustrated having to reboot and reformat so many times. I tried the progress bar several times on .5.1-1 and it didn't work. I'll have to try it on my next upgrade but I don't know when that will be.

#109 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

I'm on the step where you type in the commands to start copying everything over and on the xfsdump and restore, I press enter and get an error: no source file(s) specified. I've made sure /dev/sda is my new drive and /dev/sdb is the current D* drive.

I typed everything in correctly with spaces. What gives?

EDIT: did a google search and came up with this post from anther tread, http://www.dbstalk.c...230#post2228230. I didn't put a space after the J exactly like the other poster did. Copy process has begun. Going to bed now.

Edited by mx6bfast, 13 February 2010 - 12:10 AM.

Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#110 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Done!!! Put in a 1 TB WD Caviar hdd. Went from 30% free to 86% free. Nice.

Thanks for the tutorial and help.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#111 OFFLINE   james hyde

james hyde

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

the reciver was made on 5/26/07 it says that on that sticker it all so says it is a hr20-700.........lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by james hyde, 15 February 2010 - 10:14 PM.

#112 OFFLINE   Lancelink

Lancelink

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

...As I mentioned before the WD15EARS (64mb Cache - Advanced Format) drive didn't work well. Yes I could have probably set the newer style drive to be a fixed 512 sector size and this may have worked...
...Thanks for the great instructions.

After a weekend of tweaks and trials I have given up on the WD Advanced Format drive for this app. The sector size can be easily reduced to 512 bytes by setting a jumper on the drive. Even then the WD20EARS drive causes my HR20 to lag like it's on it's last legs. So back to the store with the EARS and an EADS on the way.
In simple chimp terms, EARS bad:new_cussi...EADS good!:wave:

Edited by Lancelink, 15 February 2010 - 05:22 PM.

#113 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

After a weekend of tweaks and trials I have given up on the WD Advanced Format drive for this app. The sector size can be easily reduced to 512k by setting a jumper on the drive. Even then the WD20EARS drive causes my HR20 to lag like it's on it's last legs. So back to the store with the EARS and an EADS on the way.
In simple chimp terms, EARS bad:new_cussi...EADS good!:wave:

Could you try one more time ? By setting the sector size to 512 bytes.

#114 OFFLINE   Lancelink

Lancelink

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Could you try one more time ? By setting the sector size to 512 bytes.

We did. Without the jumper set for 512 bytes we were unable to copy using older distribution. It would throw the error of copying the first 20Mb and then just stall. We switched to a newer distribution and set the jumper for 512. The copy process worked fine with the new dist, regardless of jumper setting. When we installed it in the HR20 with no jumper (4k sector) we had random lockups. After setting the jumper for 512 byte sectors, reinitializing and copying again the guide would scroll 4 pages and stall for 5 -10 seconds and all the DVR functions in either live or recorded TV lagged much more than normal, though not as much as the guide. We didn't try anything else because the guide was just too bad to be usable.

Or perhaps you were just highlighting my syntax error, now corrected.

#115 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

I really thought that sector size could go up to 512 KB.

#116 OFFLINE   dboody

dboody

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

After starting over multiple times I got this to work last nite.

First, davel- thank you for your notes, I ran into the same problem (drives doing nothing).

Here's what I did to get it to work:

Motherboard: Intel SE7230NH1

When using the 0.5.1-1 gparted disk, no BIOS setting worked- drives just sat there. When I switched to 0.4.6-1 it worked fine (I was using Legacy settings at the time, no idea if other settings would have worked). The transfer completed in 86min for a 78% full 320GB drive moving into a 750GB drive.

Hope this helps someone and saves them time/hassle.

#117 OFFLINE   Lancelink

Lancelink

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Ran the transfer overnight on the new WD20EADS 2TB drive (cost $149). Transfer appeared flawless and operiation is, uhhh, nom -e-nal! Went from 40% free space to 93% :D .
Now let's see how fast the DW can fill this one up.

#118 OFFLINE   zackboll

zackboll

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:51 AM

We did. Without the jumper set for 512 bytes we were unable to copy using older distribution. It would throw the error of copying the first 20Mb and then just stall. We switched to a newer distribution and set the jumper for 512. The copy process worked fine with the new dist, regardless of jumper setting. When we installed it in the HR20 with no jumper (4k sector) we had random lockups. After setting the jumper for 512 byte sectors, reinitializing and copying again the guide would scroll 4 pages and stall for 5 -10 seconds and all the DVR functions in either live or recorded TV lagged much more than normal, though not as much as the guide. We didn't try anything else because the guide was just too bad to be usable.

Or perhaps you were just highlighting my syntax error, now corrected.

I just picked up a WD15EARS. I believe you should be able to get it working in linux, you just need to make sure the starting and ending sectors are aligned on 4 KByte block boundaries for each partition. I will post an update on how my HR21 update goes.

This page should be a useful reference for anyone else attempting to use an WD "EARS" drive in their DVR.

http://community.wdc...d-p/6395/page/2"]http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/Problem-with-WD-Advanced-Format-drive-in-LINUX-WD15EARS/td-p/6395/page/2

P.S. I would have posted actual URL but apparently that is only allowed, if you have at least 5 posts.

#119 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

The URL return: "* An Unexpected Error has occurred."

#120 OFFLINE   zackboll

zackboll

Cool Member

• Registered