Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

If you in doubt - look at help. [Rule#1]

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Would a product like this work to connect the drives to my home computer?
http://www.tigerdire...3601&CatId=2785
Stay Thirsty my Friends!

#143 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Yes.

#144 OFFLINE   sow

sow

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

So after fighting with this for about a week now and letting it run overnight with no success, it is finally copying.

I didn't realize for all my failures that the hdd activity light wasn't on, realizing that the copy was hung (for hours). When I hit control C it only showed that about 7 mb was dumped. Nowhere close to the 500gb file.

I tried with the following:
0.5.1-1 gparted CD with sata->achi in the bios with no luck,
0.5.1-1 gparted CD with sata->native IDE in the bios with no luck
0.4.6-1 gparted CD with sata->legacy IDE in the bios and it is now working!!

Not sure if it is the gparted version or the translation of the sata drives. On all three, gparted detected the drives, just refused to copy on the first two.

Hope this helps someone else out.

I can confirm I just had the same problem. I was attempting to copy from a 1TB drive to another of the same size and after an overnight run it still didn't complete. No LED's on these drives to tell what was happening, although they were cool to the touch so I suspect there was no data transfer going on! I restarted the copy and added the -p but it didn't change anything (no progress reports). I noticed each time after canceling it seems to only report completing about 10mb. This was with GPARTED 0.5.2-1

So based on the suggestions here, I downgraded to 0.4.6-1 and voila, it seems to have started working (at least it is reporting progress whereas before it wasn't). No changes to the BIOS setup. A 84% full 1TB drive is on track to take 6.5 hours (based on the current progress). This is about 35MB/s assuming 840GB data which seems right.

The lesson of the story is to use the older version of GPARTED to do this job.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

sow

#145 ONLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

[BA whole bunch of stuff will scroll on the screen and the last thing it will say is restoring non-directory files.

12. You wait. Patience is a virtue. It will sit at this screen for a long time as it copies the files. There is no progress bar. Overall time will vary depending on how full your drive was. My buddy’s drive had 3% free. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to copy all the data. You’ll feel a little reassured looking at the hard drive LEDs, knowing that something is actually happening.

OK, made to the restoring non-directory files without a hitch.

Then nothing. No HDD LED's, no drive noise, nothing. Both drives are 1.5G and this was a practice run. One drive had about 10 hours on it, the other had 5 minutes so I would know for sure which drive copied since both were the same size. Let it process overnight for over 16 hours. Nothing.

Any suggestions?

Edit: OK, loaded up 0.4.6-1 instead of 0.5.2-1. Worked great except one thing I was not expecting. I kept the shows on both drives. The 10 hours copied over, but the 5 minutes was still there and watchable.

So now that I have it working, tomorrow night I do it for real on my 750G to 1.5T drives.

Edited by Herdfan, 30 March 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#146 ONLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

Update: This morning I tried to get it started before I had to leave, but kept getting a restore error. Didn't have time to mess with it, so I left. But kept thinking. I had used the large drive in another DVR testing the concept before I tried on a drive with my content. So I wondered if that had something to do with my restore issue. So I came home at lunch and rebooted my HR20 with the new drive and did a full reset. Once it booted back up, I did the graceful shutdown and tried again.

Success. Everything went like it was supposed to and shortly after I got home this evening, I had a fully copied drive and all my shows played. Now have 60% free instead of 12%. That should do me for a while.

The interesting thing is the old drive, which I had to previously remove from a Free Agent Pro enclosure and put in an MX-1, was HOT. Almost too hot to touch. My new WD drive was warm, but no where near the temp of the Seagate. No wonder those FAP's failed if those drives run that hot out in the open.

#147 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

OK, all I have is a laptop. Can I use

Hard Drive Dock

and connect it to my laptop using USB and copy my DVR drive to a new one?

#148 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

If you want use both drives in the same dock, you'll see substantial speed decrease.

#149 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

If you want use both drives in the same dock, you'll see substantial speed decrease.

Was this in response to my question? If so, why would both in the same dock cause a DECREASE in speed? Should I get 2 single docks?

Would I be better off getting something like

2 port Serial ATA card

to connect the 2 bay dock?

Edited by hdtvluvr, 01 April 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#150 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Definitely - eSATA/SATA are separate dedicated channels while USB sharing same media.

#151 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

Ok, so using a 2 bay dock connected by 1 eSata cable to laptop would be fine?

Or 2 docks and the 2 port card?

#152 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

Last variant would be right one. By eSATA.

#153 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the guide, was my first time doing this. I want to post a few things that may help some other people and save them the frustration I did. Here are some tips from my own experience.

- My HR22-100 did NOT need the front face plate removed in order to remove the hard drive enclosure. There were 2 screws on the board and 2 on the top just after the plastic front.

- Don't remove cables from the board unless you have to. I actually broke the plastic on one of the ribbon cables (I think it's the cable that lights up the box on the front) The cable was fine, but this plastic insert help keep the cable in place. I ended up getting it snug again with it broken but it was not as good as before. Be very careful with the cables and things that connect to the board. I also pulled on the fan power connector on the board too hard and when I put it all back together it wasn't coming on. Ended up pushing it back into the board and it works fine now.

- Don't use the latest version of Gparted - 0.5.2-1 is garbage and gave me a massive headache. I didn't find out till later other people were having problems to. Use 0.4.6-1 worked fine. Pay very careful attention to the commands - I kept typing in the commands wrong and took me a while to figure out I was missing a space or whatever. Copy and paste it from the board to word or something and blow it up. For example I was having a hell of a time with the copy command xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap - I was actually typing -(space)J(space) when actually it was -J(space) - and a few other minor errors. So pay close attention to that.

- Make sure to disconnect you external usb hard drives (maybe flash drives 2?) otherwise they come up in gparted and could mess up the drive order. This one took me a while to figure out, my external drive is actually 500 like the dtv drive so the sizes were showing up exactly the same so I thought something was wrong, then I checked my external hd drive was connected.

-Be careful with the void sticker, I ended up ripping mine, oh well, lol

-There is no progress bar when copying, it took it almost 4 hours to copy, I ended up falling asleep. So make sure you have something else to go do while it's copying. You will drive yourself bonkers wondering when it could get done and you just won't know. Better to go do something else come back and it's done.

So those are my tips and would have saved me A LOT of time, I spent so much time just messin around with gparted and re-burning the old version and the commands.

Here is the sucky part, I bought one of those new EARS drives off amazon (goldbox deal of day on mon for $85 bucks 1.5TB 64cach) I should have done more research. The drive formatted just fine in the dtv box, game up in gparted and copied just fine. ( after I figured out I was using the wrong version of gparted and typing in wrong commands) I was messing with it for so long it got late and ended up falling asleep. Put everything back together tonight and it did copy just fine, all my programs came up and it played back no problem. I instantly started noting problems on live tv it would kinda break up - I tested multiple channels - same thing. There isn't a whole lot of info on this drive. The model I got is WD15EARS - so I guess technically I got it all working but obviously it's not working good. So I ended up taking it out and putting the stock drive back in till I figure out my next plan. So don't get an EARS drive for your dvr - not saying it's a bad drive or anything, just doesn't work well. I will prob end up keeping it and putting it in my windows 7 dell desktop. I am waiting for the hr24 to come out in my market so I might just wait to buy another drive till I get that box. So after all that, messing with it for hours, falling asleep after it copied, breaking stuff inside the box I am back to square one. At least everything still works

I hope this can save people some frustration that I had. I was able to swap back to the stock drive pretty quickly since I knew how to take it out so at least I know now.

Also I went to harbor freight per the advice in the 1st page since I know those t10 sec bits are hard to find. They had them but they didn't have a $4 set. They had a $10 set which is still pretty cheap in my opinion but it came with a whole bunch of bits I didn't want. Ended up going to Menards (I know some of you don't know what that is or have one close by) but they are all over here. They had it in a yellow individual irwin package for a few bucks. Just the bit will fit in your standard universal screwdriver. So that was nice to know, I didn't they they would have them.

Overall the guide was still very helpful but just make sure to look over your box since they are different and see what needs to be removed and what doesn't. You can figure it out fairly easy by taking a min and looking at it.

Hope you guys have better luck than I did, at least I'm still watching tv!

#154 ONLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

Don't use the latest version of Gparted - 0.5.2-1 is garbage and gave me a massive headache. I didn't find out till later other people were having problems to. Use 0.4.6-1 worked fine.

Same here. Maybe we should make it a bit more clear.

Dont use 0.5.2-1. Use 0.4.6-1 :)

The model I got is WD15EARS - so I guess technically I got it all working but obviously it's not working good. So I ended up taking it out and putting the stock drive back in till I figure out my next plan. So don't get an EARS drive for your dvr - not saying it's a bad drive or anything, just doesn't work well.

This is WD's DVR centric drive. I have one and works great.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136495

#155 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for making that big

This is WD's DVR centric drive. I have one and works great.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136495

So does anyone know why the EARS drives don't work well? So how does this HD compare to the stock one? As long as I have to do all this over again I would like to buy the absolute best drive I can for the DVR.

#156 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for making that big

So does anyone know why the EARS drives don't work well? So how does this HD compare to the stock one? As long as I have to do all this over again I would like to buy the absolute best drive I can for the DVR.

Yes, someone dissected and posted here.

#157 ONLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

Yes, someone dissected and posted here.

Here is something about it: http://www.dbstalk.c...&postcount=1124

#158 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

I was gonna try messing with the WD Align software but I want a good reliable garage so gonna chalk this one up as a loss.

#159 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I was gonna try messing with the WD Align software but I want a good reliable garage so gonna chalk this one up as a loss.

The best thing to take from this is if buying WD drives, buy the EADS or the newer EVDS drives, they are proven to work very well as can be seen all over this forum. Use gparted 0.4.6.1 and nothing newer, and there are minor differences through the HR model line but the process is pretty easy to follow as outlined here.

#160 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

Would it be ok to leave the hard drives in docks and use them as externals? Would they run cooler than enclosed with a fan?

I haven't decided whether to put them in the DVRs after I copy them or put the original ones back and use the new ones as externals.

One of the DVR's is in the niche above the fireplace so it can be hidden well and an enclosure or dock wouldn't matter. The other would be in my component rack in our theater room. Space is limited. I looked at the Startech SATADOCKU2E dock and see the dimensions as Height 2.17 in Length 5.51 in but can't find the measurement for depth.

If I got an enclosure, I'm looking at the Rosewill RX-358-S BLK. Does it have to lay flat or can it be used standing on its side?

So enclosure or dock?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...