Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Removing / Replacing / Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:21 AM

Ok, got an odd problem. Thought my Hd was failing in my HR21, bought a WD 1T green drive and copied my original drive to it. Dropped it in the unit and all my recorded shows are there, but my Series Manager file is empty! All my scheduled recordings are gone. I know I had 25-30 things set to record.

My history shows 99 things So I scrolled through them and noted what I had set to record to recreate all my links. However there were a few there that were only occasional recordings or shows that are not running at the moment, I can't track them down, so I guess they are lost.

Any idea what happened?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,930 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

That file with your series data been corrupted or allocated on bad sectors and didn't copied by the reasons.

#163 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, that is pretty much what I thought too. popped tjhe old drive back in and they are missing there too.

Also. turns out I got an WD EARS drive. Was not aware of the issues. Playing live it seems ot be fine, but if I skip back at all I start getting stopples. I guess Ill have to start looking for another drive and use this one in my computer for backup. What is the best cheap alternative, I got the WD Green 1T for $69.

#164 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

Ok, update. After 3 days I noticed that the stopping and freeze ups have stopped with the EARS drive. Have no idea why. I have several things set to record tomorrow that will be the true test.

#165 OFFLINE   k1deg0

k1deg0

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Will this same basic procedure work for an HD20-700?

I have one with a hard drive that's making me think it could be having problems, and after reading various threads, I'd like to replace the 320GB with a 1.5TB.

Thanks to all who have posted helpful info in threads like this. It makes life a whole lot easier for noobs like me who want to tackle a project like this!

#166 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Will this same basic procedure work for an HD20-700?

I have one with a hard drive that's making me think it could be having problems, and after reading various threads, I'd like to replace the 320GB with a 1.5TB.

Thanks to all who have posted helpful info in threads like this. It makes life a whole lot easier for noobs like me who want to tackle a project like this!

I did it on a HR20-700 and its working perfectly.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#167 OFFLINE   k1deg0

k1deg0

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

I did it on a HR20-700 and its working perfectly.

I kept reading posts about HR20-700 and wondered why no one listed an HD20-700 model.

After reading your response, I checked the DVR again...and see it's an HR not an HD.

My first post on this site, and I goof like that?!? I'm going to go crawl under a rock now. :nono2:

#168 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

I kept reading posts about HR20-700 and wondered why no one listed an HD20-700 model.

After reading your response, I checked the DVR again...and see it's an HR not an HD.

My first post on this site, and I goof like that?!? I'm going to go crawl under a rock now. :nono2:

Go back and click edit on that post and few will ever know :D Then just change your second post to "Thanks!" or something :lol:

:welcome_s
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#169 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

I still call our HR20's tivo's, no biggie.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#170 OFFLINE   k1deg0

k1deg0

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Go back and click edit on that post and few will ever know :D Then just change your second post to "Thanks!" or something :lol:

:welcome_s

Thanks Matt...I'll just take the lumps I deserve for that and blame it on my allergies screwing up my vision yesterday. :D

If I have a desktop PC with a RAID 1 setup, are they most likely SATA drives? And if so, would one of the drives be hooked up to SATA 0 and another to SATA 1 (as is described as necessary for copying drive contents)?

I hate to tear into my desktop and mess with the RAID drives, but if I simply unplug them for this process, I can't imagine I'd mess anything up (he says nervously - still burned by his HD/HR debacle).

#171 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

Ok, update. After 3 days I noticed that the stopping and freeze ups have stopped with the EARS drive. Have no idea why. I have several things set to record tomorrow that will be the true test.

wow your patient, I had mine in for a few min and immediately removed it. I guess I could have tried it longer but it was very annoying and even if there was a chance of it working out I didn't want to have a drive with problems. My new EVDS drive should be here today, had to pay a lot more for it but I didn't want 2 mess around.

#172 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. It still freezes up from time to time, especially with high bitrate stuff like loud explosions with lots of video action as well as DD 5.1 action. I'll live with it for a while, it's just my bedroom unit - my others are fine, until I find a decent deal on a better drive.

Sim-x what drive did you get?

#173 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. It still freezes up from time to time, especially with high bitrate stuff like loud explosions with lots of video action as well as DD 5.1 action. I'll live with it for a while, it's just my bedroom unit - my others are fine, until I find a decent deal on a better drive.

Sim-x what drive did you get?

Picked up the WD20EVDS from buy - Not nearly as good as my $85 goldbox deal but after what happened I want the best drive possible for the dvr. I bought mine off eBay (still buy) http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=400094739549

Spec page
http://www.wdc.com/e...asp?driveid=615

After asking around the mods suggested this to be the best drive over the EADS drives which both I have read good results. The spec page said this drive is designed for heavy use such as a DVR so I went with this one. I would guess I spent an extra $30 or so for this one over the EADS but didn't wanna mess around.

The same price on the site & eBay but you can get bing cb on eBay as well as eBay bucks.

I just got the new drive yesterday and am debating to put it in now or wait till I get a HR24. If I wait I won't have to copy the drive since you can't copy a drive moving to a dif box. However could be months yet before I am able to even get one.

I will post once I install it but like I said I might just hang on to it till I get the new box. Part of me wants to install it and now I know how to take apart the DVR pretty fast so might give it a whirl and I want to make sure I got a good drive incase I need to return it.

Maybe someone else can answer this, could I use a sata docking station to copy the drives so I don't have to open up my desktop? I was looking at something like this

http://www.buy.com/p.../209890871.html

I don't think my desktop has eSata so I would connect the station via usb but I don't wanna have problems in the command prompt. Don't really wanna spend the money on it, but if it works well I guess I could use it for other things. Up in the air about it. Would gparted recognize both drives via a docking station connected through usb?

#174 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

Ive got a couple of questions after reading the picture tutorial and glancing through this thread.

First, does the internal structure of an HR21-700 require removing anything to get at the hard drive's SATA and power connectors? What I am considering doing is opening the case, leaving the hard drive inside, and just connecting it, as mounted, to my desktop for a copying procedure.

Second, is it possible to access the drives through a virtual machine running gparted if the virtual machine is running on top of windows vista? And if so, which vm program should I use?

Third, after I get the internal drive copied to the external, and I verify that the external works with the HR21, with all my shows and series links intact, is there any consequence to disconnecting the external, rebooting back to the internal, and having the HR21 do a full reset to reformat the internal drive?

#175 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

Don't use VM - reliable and easy way to boot your PC from Linux or Gparted CD. Disconnect all your PC drives first.
Full reformat would be done by DVR itself, if after all your verifications, you would use Gparted/Linux CD one more time and just remove partition table [clean MBR] from it.

#176 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Don't use VM - reliable and easy way to boot your PC from Linux or Gparted CD. Disconnect all your PC drives first.
Full reformat would be done by DVR itself, if after all your verifications, you would use Gparted/Linux CD one more time and just remove partition table [clean MBR] from it.

Thats the thing. I run a RAID array with the built in controller and I had some issues with it when I was first setting the machine up where I lost the array a few days after I had set it up. I dont trust it to recognize the array if I unplug everything and then plug everything back in later.

#177 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,930 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

OK, keep it - just be careful when you'll use your DVR drive's names; always recheck them by run "fdisk -l" first.

#178 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ive got a couple of questions after reading the picture tutorial and glancing through this thread.

First, does the internal structure of an HR21-700 require removing anything to get at the hard drive's SATA and power connectors? What I am considering doing is opening the case, leaving the hard drive inside, and just connecting it, as mounted, to my desktop for a copying procedure.

Second, is it possible to access the drives through a virtual machine running gparted if the virtual machine is running on top of windows vista? And if so, which vm program should I use?

Third, after I get the internal drive copied to the external, and I verify that the external works with the HR21, with all my shows and series links intact, is there any consequence to disconnecting the external, rebooting back to the internal, and having the HR21 do a full reset to reformat the internal drive?

I have an HR22-100 so it might be a little different, but you can easily disconnect the sata & power cable from the drive inside the dvr. You might need a longer sata/power cable to reach from your tower to the dvr but if the cable reached it wouldn't be a problem at all for copying. The cables easily disconnected once you have the case opened up, getting the mount out was another story.

Are you gonna copy it to an external drive then? If your doing an internal replacement you would have to take it out of the mount anyway so there really wouldn't be a point to doing it.

#179 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

I have an HR22-100 so it might be a little different, but you can easily disconnect the sata & power cable from the drive inside the dvr. You might need a longer sata/power cable to reach from your tower to the dvr but if the cable reached it wouldn't be a problem at all for copying. The cables easily disconnected once you have the case opened up, getting the mount out was another story.

Are you gonna copy it to an external drive then? If your doing an internal replacement you would have to take it out of the mount anyway so there really wouldn't be a point to doing it.

Not going to do an internal replacement on this device. Just considering adding an external and want to keep the programs and series links on it.

#180 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Decided to install my WD20EVDS drive yesterday. Everything went awesome this time around. It helped since I learned from my mistakes the time before. The copy time took MUCH less time. On the 1.5TB EARS drive it took 4+ hours. This drive took just a little over 2 with the stock drive being pretty full. All my settings and shows copied over and play back just fine. Everything is working very smooth and haven't noticed any problems yet. I can't believe how much space I have and I think I am going to have trouble filling up that much space, lol. I will post updates if I have any problems come up, but so far so good. I did do a drive scan after I installed the new drive just because. I noticed my guide data got wiped out (not sure if it was from that or not) but I heard it can take up to 2 days for cast and crew information to appear. I don't have any little pictures of shows or movies in my list but it hasn't been that long so hopefully that comes in tomorrow. So far a big thumbs up on the EVDS drive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...