Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need universal remote for Dish DVR, PS3, and Samsung LN40B750 HDTV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Swampthing

Swampthing

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:56 AM

As the title states, I recently purchased a new Samsung HDTV and now have a series of remotes to deal with. I have Dish 522 DVR, PS3 for watching Blu-ray, and the new Samsung LN40B750 HDTV. While I was able to get the Dish remote to power on/off and change volume, it can't do much else with the TV and it can't play the PS3 Blu-rays. It also can't handle the Internet TV functions of the Samsung. For reference, here's a link to the Samsung TV. http://www.samsung.c...type=prd_detail

Any suggestions on a universal remote that could handle much of these functions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:10 AM

As PS3 remote control is Bluetooth, I'm afraid you're not going to find anything other than the PS3 remote that will work with the PS3. If there is any chance of finding a suitable universal remote it will almost certainly be a Sony product.

#3 OFFLINE   Swampthing

Swampthing

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

I know the bluetooth throws a wrench in the mix. I saw this remote on Amazon which purports to be a universal bluetooth remote for the PS3. Just not so sure how good the quality might be and which device remotes it might eliminate. A few reviews there, but I'm curious if others here have tried this one out. Here it is: http://www.amazon.co...56825790&sr=8-1

#4 OFFLINE   Swampthing

Swampthing

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

How about the Harmony Remotes? Would they cover all the features I need? I see they sell a PS3 adapter for the Harmony as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00267S7XW

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

Swampthing,

Check out the remote control forum at avsforum. There's a recent thread about the blu-link and many threads about different harmonys and PS3 adapters. The blu-link happens to be the only bluetooth universal in existence, AFAIK.

What's your budget? I'm pretty cheap when it comes to remotes, so if it were me, I'd get a low end or refurb harmony plus a nyko bluwave IR adapter ($15). That will work fine with harmony (and just about any other universal for that matter). The only thing it lacks compared to more expensive options like the one from logitech (or IR2BT or IR4PS3) is remote on/off control.

Tigerdirect has several refurb harmonys. They're all as good a new in my experience. URC also makes some good, inexpensive universals that work with most PS3 adapters.

Call me crazy, but considering my last blu-ray player was $100, it seems ludicrous to me to spend $60-$150 to control a game console that just happens to be able to play blu-ray.

Edited by mdavej, 29 October 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

How about the Harmony Remotes? Would they cover all the features I need? I see they sell a PS3 adapter for the Harmony as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00267S7XW

Harmony controls are awesome once you set them up. The one negative is you can only do 5 step macros, but not many need macros. My friend uses the PS3 adapter with his Harmony & loves it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...