Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Would DTV License It HD DVR Tech?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

I was wondering if DTV would ever license its HD DVR Tech to other companies? Say they could have Happauge or ATI do an internal HD DVR Dual Tuner Card for Windows 7 PC's. Could they also license it to Sony for their Playstation 3 and 4 and to Microsoft for their XBOX 360 and 720 if they call it that? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

I was wondering if DTV would ever license its HD DVR Tech to other companies? Say they could have Happauge or ATI do an internal HD DVR Dual Tuner Card for Windows 7 PC's. Could they also license it to Sony for their Playstation 3 and 4 and to Microsoft for their XBOX 360 and 720 if they call it that? Thanks.

If they wanted to I dont see why not. Only thing that may come in the middle is any agreements with Tivo cant be breached.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

They had a deal with Microsoft to develop the HTPC (originally a card but later it became an external box). It was abandoned with no explanation, IIRC.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

The problem isn't developing the hardware; the problem is the software integration, especially with DRM, conditional access, and other security and interactivity being integrated with a much more "open" system like a PC. It would require a huge software effort and extensive testing, which is one reason why DirecTV was working with Microsoft, who already have a robust Media Center application and lots of existing DRM and conditional access support built in. But given that Microsoft has scaled back its support for Media Center (a huge mistake, IMO; Media Center was IMO staged for a big breakthrough), DirecTV and Dish both abandoned their integrated solutions.

IMO, it's very, very doubtful that anyone else is going to be able to write software, at least for Windows, that would meet all of DirecTV's legal requirements, and given the relative size of the Mac and Linux home user base, I don't see enough return on the investment to make it worthwhile.

And this is from a HUGE Media Center fan...

#5 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

Do you Microsoft scaling back it's support with DirecTV? Microsoft is not scaling back its support of Media Center. They have revamped it with Windows 7. People are saying its the best Media Center version ever.

What do you think about DTV partnering with Sony and having the Playstation 3 and 4 be a DTV HD DVR?

#6 OFFLINE   itguy05

itguy05

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

IMO, it's very, very doubtful that anyone else is going to be able to write software, at least for Windows, that would meet all of DirecTV's legal requirements, and given the relative size of the Mac and Linux home user base, I don't see enough return on the investment to make it worthwhile.

I dono. The codebase of the HR series is Linux so most of the development work is done there. And Linux is close to the Mac OS so that would open it up to another 10%. You could extend it to Windows users with virtualization software to run Linux inside of Windows. Add into it some leased hardware for the smart cards and it could work well. The underlying bits for Vista and 7 have TONS and TONS OF DRM built in so they should have an easy time of getting the copyright holders' approval.

However, I'd suspect that the Media Center segment is very, very, very small. My guess is that's why MS practically gives it away as when it was a standalone Windows version it didn't sell well.

#7 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

My guess is that's why MS practically gives it away as when it was a standalone Windows version it didn't sell well.

I wonder if this is the main reason DTV gave up on the external tuner for Windows Media Center? Unless they are redesigning it for Windows 7 Media Center?

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I wonder if this is the main reason DTV gave up on the external tuner for Windows Media Center? Unless they are redesigning it for Windows 7 Media Center?

Wouldn't hold my breath on this (assuming I want to live).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   RobertY

RobertY

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

Maybe they should do this.
http://www.engadgeth...-tuner-is-real/

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

Those Engaget links are almost 2 years old, showing development versions of the tuners we discussed earlier. That's the program that has been canceled/abandonded.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

What do you think about DTV partnering with Sony and having the Playstation 3 and 4 be a DTV HD DVR?

Not a snowball's chance. The DIRECTV technology isn't that outstanding and any add-on would need to be a mostly complete HD DVR.

#12 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Not a snowball's chance. The DIRECTV technology isn't that outstanding and any add-on would need to be a mostly complete HD DVR.

I was just curious because Sony has that Play TV in Europe that makes the PS3 become a DVR. I am not sure if Play TV does HD. I was wondering if Sony would ever make Play TV available in the USA what TV provider would they go with?

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

I was just curious because Sony has that Play TV in Europe that makes the PS3 become a DVR.

Rest assured that a 80-160GB HD DVR is nothing to write home about.

I am not sure if Play TV does HD.

It does do HDTV where you can find HD content.

I was wondering if Sony would ever make Play TV available in the USA what TV provider would they go with?

As Sony has visited the HD DVR product space in the US and pulled out rather abruptly, not a snowball's chance. The product is 30 months old and it is just entering its second market (Australia) at the end of this month. Not exactly catching fire and certainly not in markets where pay TV rules.

Having all of this tied to a gaming console makes very little sense. Expandability is a decided downer for anyone wanting to capture more than a few hours of HD content.

If anyone were to pick up something like this it might be someone like Lodgenet. The PS3 is certainly more interesting as a platform than WebTV.

#14 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

Rest assured that a 80-160GB HD DVR is nothing to write home about.It does do HDTV where you can find HD content.As Sony has visited the HD DVR product space in the US and pulled out rather abruptly, not a snowball's chance. The product is 30 months old and it is just entering its second market (Australia) at the end of this month. Not exactly catching fire and certainly not in markets where pay TV rules.

Having all of this tied to a gaming console makes very little sense. Expandability is a decided downer for anyone wanting to capture more than a few hours of HD content.

If anyone were to pick up something like this it might be someone like Lodgenet. The PS3 is certainly more interesting as a platform than WebTV.

Thanks for the info. What about the PS4? Could you see Sony adding DTV to the PS4?

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

Could you see Sony adding DTV to the PS4?

For all of the above reasons and more, not a snowball's chance.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

Just a note, the size of the HD in a PS3 is only limited to your budget and the size of the available 2.5" sata notebook drives on the market.

#17 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

For all of the above reasons and more, not a snowball's chance.

Sony has a new PS3 Slim with a 250 gig hard drive coming out and what if Sony added a 500 gig hard drive? Could you see Sony adding CableCard or a CableReady PS3 and PS4?

http://www.engadget....apper-gray-box/

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

Sony has a new PS3 Slim with a 250 gig hard drive coming out and what if Sony added a 500 gig hard drive? Could you see Sony adding CableCard or a CableReady PS3 and PS4?

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

No amount of marketing (or ongoing questioning about the viability) of such a product can overcome the price point of such a device as compared with a dedicated device with a proper remote control. History shows that console companies always charge quite a bit more than the retail value of the hard drive space for larger hard drives.

If DIRECTV and Microsoft can't make a go of it with ubiquitous Windows boxes, Sony's not going to hemorrhage millions to try and cobble something up to further distract from the gaming aspect of the PlayStation.

If you want an example from the 80's of something like you propose, read up on the ColecoVision. Along with its sibling, the Adam personal computer, it ran a once popular company (they pushed everything from leathercraft kits and above ground swimming pools to the insanely popular Cabbage Patch dolls) into bankruptcy.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Just a note, the size of the HD in a PS3 is only limited to your budget and the size of the available 2.5" sata notebook drives on the market.

And your willingness to void the 12 month warranty. 500GB drives go for around $100 and 1TB drives are around $180. SFF server drives start at around $300.

#20 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:08 AM

And your willingness to void the 12 month warranty. 500GB drives go for around $100 and 1TB drives are around $180. SFF server drives start at around $300.

the ps3 is build to let you put your own HDD in.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...