Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"They" say only 50% of DVR users skip the commercials.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

What's a commercial? It's probably because 50% of DVR users don't even know they have a DVR. :)

http://tech.yahoo.co...he-commercials/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

What's a commercial? It's probably because 50% of DVR users don't even know they have a DVR. :)

:lol: I am in the 50% that have no idea what a commercial is.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

I can believe this. I've been known to "watch" commercials sometimes .. especially when the TV is on in the background and I'm only half watching it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

I can believe this. I've been known to "watch" commercials sometimes .. especially when the TV is on in the background and I'm only half watching it.

I would agree with Doug. If the TV is on in the background I may be more inclined to look up and "watch" a commercial occasionally if it catches my eye like a movie trailer or something. Now if I am really watching a show then I will FF through the commercials.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#5 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Interesting. At first I thought the high level of commercial watching was because people with DVRs still watch some shows live, and therefore can't skip commercials.

But the study is saying that 46% of viewers watching recorded programs don't skip commercials during playback.

I often don't skip commercials, but I can't give an explanation of why.

#6 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

We watch some shows... gasp... LIVE. :eek:

#7 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

I sometimes fall asleep and my wife throws something at me to get my attention and fast-forward through the commercials. :D

Just let her control the remote, you say? Not gonna happen. ;)
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#8 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Personally, I always skip the commercials (except, of course, the one or two times a year I watch live). My sister, however, never, ever fast forwards though commercials. She says she "forgets" she's watching a recording when the commercials come on. Personally, I think it's how you think about TV - when I finally got old enough growing up that I could have my own TV to control, I also got Time Warner's old QUBE service with all it's little buttons and such to play with. So for me, TV has always been somewhat interactive. My sister though, at 13 years older than myself, grew up with passive TV: no remote, 3 networks, turn on the TV and sit staring at it for the next 4 hours. She simply doesn't see TV as something she has any control of - despite the fact that she loves her DVR and very rarely watches anything live as she works evenings. Just a different way of thinking.

#9 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

If I don't skip the commercials, my wife will start clearing her throat and making "remote gestures" with her hands. At some point she will point out that I am not doing my job. With nods at Stan Lee, with great remote comes great responsibility.

#10 OFFLINE   RCY

RCY

Godfather

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

My problem is I've gotten so used to skipping through commercials, or hitting skip back, that I want to do that in the car when I'm listening to the radio. ;-)

Other than the occasional movie or TV program trailer, no one in my house watches commercials anymore. I'm glad "they" beleive they are still getting 50% penetration with commercials. Keeps "them" from thinking about things "they" shouldn't...
Setup:

1 VIP 612
1 VIP 211k, hooked to HTPC via Hauppauge HD-PVR
1 HDVR2 w/280 hours (discontinued service 10/2/10)
1 DSR 704 w/320 hours (quit working 6/6/09)
4 HTPCs w/ 6 HD tuners - 4 TB of HD storage

#11 OFFLINE   Islandguy43

Islandguy43

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

Ya rite:lol:

Actually I skip the program only watch the commericals:grin:
Just give me the Sabres and Yankees in HD.

#12 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Not skipping them because you're not paying attention is one thing, but not skipping them while you are actively watching a recorded show is heresy. :lol:

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

There are times I use the 30-second slip/skip alot when viewing, and other times....watch the commercials too.

It depends on the content, time of year, and creativity of the commercials.

So I guess I could eb in either camp, depending on what day you ask. :D:lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

If I don't skip the commercials, my wife will start clearing her throat and making "remote gestures" with her hands. At some point she will point out that I am not doing my job. With nods at Stan Lee, with great remote comes great responsibility.

I wish DBST had "like" function as Facebook does. I would "like" this post. :D
Two HR22-100 HD DVRs on HDTVs, both MRV; also running PlayOn, Boxee

#15 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

I fast forward through commercials -- example: the several very lengthy commercial segments on Mad Men.

Also, I slip/skip watching pro football. It's timed perfectly, so that after a tackle, one push and you're ready to go for the next play, and can skip the analysis, etc. Also, of course, a fast forward through the commercials, and I can cut a game just about in half. (The way the Packers are playing this year, it's a blessing!)

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#16 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

I do this also. Another reasons is that sometimes I am FF when I see an advert for a new movie or a product I am interested in, I then watch that advert and most times let the rest of them just play out.

#17 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

Unless we just have a temporary brain lapse, we always skip commercials when watching recorded programs. We have his and hers remotes, so it's unlikely that both of us forget, but it does happen every so often. Now, the big problem I have is that my wife fails to understand the real power of the DVR. She still likes to watch live TV. I can understand this when it's something like the Idol season finale, but for the drama shows we typically watch, I prefer to choose a saved show, even when something live is on that I want to watch. This allows commercial skipping, plus being able to watch three hours of broadcast TV in about two.

#18 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,056 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

Even if I wanted to watch commercials I would not be able to, my wife says something if we get more then 2 seconds into a commercial.

The only thing we watch live is football. Have to watch commercials then.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#19 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Other than foorball, we almost never watch anything live. So I almost never watch commercials. Watching an hour show in around 40 minutes is great!
Links: My System Diagram | System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

I have watched a complete football game in less than an hour by fast forwarding thru commercials, instant replays, penalties, time outs, etc.

spam firewall