Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Setting up Multiple RF remotes on one DTV Box

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjt16

bjt16

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

I have a HR22 HDDVR in my living room and use a RF modulator to use the same box with my old standard def. tv in my room. I got the remote set up on RF so i can control the box from my bedroom. The problem I am having is that i have another DTV remote, (same exact model remote that i already got workin on RF the RC64R) I tried to program this remote to RF so i dont have to take the remote between rooms. I want to have a remote that i leave in the bedroom and one in the living room. I cant get both to program on RF. I have tried the same exact installation process using the 961 ch up and then model number and select. I CAN NOT GET BOTH REMOTES TO WORK ON RF MODE. Has anyone found a way to make this happen? Is it not possible? Another issue im having is that the picture on the standard def. tv has some lines that run up and down the picture. I cant think of another option to get a better pic up there. I need to use a coaxial so i can use flat cables to run out the window because i can not drill holes to run s video where i currently live. Can anyone think of something to get rid of the wavy lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:45 AM

I set up two RF remotes to work with the same dvr by following the on screen instructions and doing each step on both remotes before proceeding to the next step.
Greg

#3 OFFLINE   RegGeek

RegGeek

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

I did this and it took me a while to figure it out. If I remember correctly, I set up the first remote in RF mode. Then I had to go through and return the box to IR mode using just the buttons on the HR2x. Once the box was back in IR, I used the second remote to switch it and the box back to RF. Then both remotes and the box were all "thinking" RF. There may be an eaiser way, but that was what I did to get it working.

Edited by RegGeek, 03 November 2009 - 09:06 AM.
typo

I know life's not fair, but how come it's never unfair in my favor?

See profile for equipment list.

#4 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

I've done this when one remote was partially broken and I got a new one. Both remotes work fine on RF on the same DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

Make sure the second remote you are using is RF capable (not all are). It should have an FCC sticker on the bottom if it is an RF capable remote.

The wavy lines could be a couple of things. First possility is interference from over the air signals. If the modulator you are using has another channel, try the other channel. Or, get a UHF modulator that can be set to most any channel. The other possibility is a ground loop problem. If that is your problem, making sure you have a good electrical ground at both locations is important.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

These are the steps:
1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the receivers ID #, found on a sticker in the access card comparment
8. press SELECT
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

I can confirm that it does work, I had 3 RF remotes on one of my receivers at one time.

There really is no limit as using the RF instructions you set the remotes to the right channel and the receiver picks up any commands it "hears".

I would make sure your other remote is RF, as said there should be an FCC sticker on the bottom.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   bjt16

bjt16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

got the problem figured out. the remote looked exactly the same but didnt have the fcc sticker so wasnt rf compatible. Thanks for all the help people you save me a lot of frustration. Happy i found the forum

Protected By... spam firewall...And...