Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I get D* to do this??

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NickIndy

NickIndy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

I had D* installed in 2/08. Just recently I was having issues with signal on my HD locals so I had a service call (protection plan). When the tech came out, he said that my dish was installed in a non-servicable location. Esentially, the D* installer had put the dish on the roof in a location that couldn't be reached from a ladder, you have to get on the roof to reach it. He said that he was not allowed to get on the roof for any reason. He said that my reception issue was a bad LNB so he installed a 2nd dish (since he wasn't allowed to get to my original dish to replace the LNB. Now I have 2 dishes on the roof and I want the old one removed. Since it was the D* installer who made the desicion on where to place the original, I expect them to remove the old dish and their expense. I don't want 2 dishes on the roof. D* of course is saying that once installed, the dish is not their property therefore they won't pay to remove it. Where do I go from here? This is unacceptable service in my opinion, especially since the situation is caused by their install subcontractor being poorly trained.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

What kind of roof do you have? That sounds extremely weird to me unless it is a unique or very steep roof as there are lots of installs around here where installers have to get on the roof to reach the dish...mine included :P (though to be fair I put it there and only 2 installers have ever had to come to my house and go up there).

You might try calling the local installer company if you have a number for them...should be on the paperwork you received when they did the install/reinstall.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   NickIndy

NickIndy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

It's not weird really. But the original guy put a step ladder up and got on the roof of my porch and then put another step ladder on that roof and put the dish on the 2nd story roof. But the tech that came to replace the lnb said he was not allowed to get even on the roof of my porch for any reason at all. I offered to do it myself but he said he wasn't allowed to let me do that. He also said he had no way of finding out who did the original install. I'll have to look for the original papers.

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

They get on roofs all the time, that is why it sounds weird to me.

I would try taking it up with the installation company, even potentially with the one that did your recent reinstall.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

Policies change all of the time. DIRECTV has acquired a couple of installation companies in the past 12+ months, so perhaps new owner, new rules.

As for a second ladder on 1st roof to 2nd roof? Definitely not something I would do. I doubt you are going to be able to get DIRECTV to do this because the fact remains that the Dish is your property. DIRECTV would be taking on a huge liability (life and your home) to go up and remove it. Your best bet is to find a local contractor and just pay them to go up there and take it down.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

I had an installer at my house Friday to swap me out to SWiM and he was on my roof sans complaint. He also removed both my old sidecar dish and my original round dish which the last installer left up there when he installed the sidecar.

Odd that there would be such a difference in policy from installer to installer.

BTW, my experience last week was the best customer service I have ever received from DIRECTV. So good, in fact, that I tipped the guy. I never do that. Just thought a good installation story should be shared, as all we ever hear around here are the horror stories.

#7 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Here's an idea... Go up there and take it down yourself. :)

#8 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

lot depends on ladder height, certain ones require a secondary person due to OSHA.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#9 OFFLINE   NickIndy

NickIndy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

I don't mind doing it myself but I want to roof patched. I'll even do that myself just not at my own expense. Their mistake, they should pay for it.

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

I don't mind doing it myself but I want to roof patched. I'll even do that myself just not at my own expense. Their mistake, they should pay for it.

Is it that visible? You could take down the dish and the mast and leave the base plate. That way, no patching. That's what I had the installer do last week.

#11 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

I don't think he should have to do it himself. D* came and drilled holes in his roof to mount a dish. He has the protection plan, so D* is responsible for the maintenance of that dish. Something on the dish broke. D* then drilled MORE holes in his roof because they didn't want to go to the first dish which they previously installed.

A dish (3/5 LNB) isn't a small thing. I wouldn't want two of those on my roof. D* should have sent out two people with the required equipment to fix the first dish. Now that they've installed another dish, they should pony up and remove the first and patch up the holes they drilled.

I'm not one to think that one is entitled to "free" service, but he has the protection plan and *is* entitled to dish servicing. If he put up his own dish in the first place, or didn't have the protection plan, it would be a different story. But D* did the initial install. They are responsible.

-Craig

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#12 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

When I upgraded to HD in 2007 the installer that came to my house said he couldn't get on my roof neither, not that he had to but I asked alot of question since I like to be informed. He told me it wasn't the height that was problem, it was the pitch of my roof and it was against the install companies rules. He also was going to take down the old 18" dish but I told him to leave it to make his job alittle easier. Great guy by the way and didn't mind me watching and asking questions. I'm like a few here in the fact I don't tip for stuff like that, but I gave him $40 for me bothering him so much.

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'm not one to think that one is entitled to "free" service, but he has the protection plan and *is* entitled to dish servicing. If he put up his own dish in the first place, or didn't have the protection plan, it would be a different story. But D* did the initial install. They are responsible.

-Craig

DIRECTV did provide him with dish servicing and he now has service back. The other dish (and now the new dish) are now the homeowner's property. I'm sure the homeowner had to at least agree to the original installation location. It's not like the person shimmied up the side of the house and installed it there with no conversation.

No doubt this situation sucks, but from what I can see it's gone from being a DIRECTV issue to be being a home repair issue.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   NickIndy

NickIndy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

DIRECTV did provide him with dish servicing and he now has service back. The other dish (and now the new dish) are now the homeowner's property. I'm sure the homeowner had to at least agree to the original installation location. It's not like the person shimmied up the side of the house and installed it there with no conversation.

No doubt this situation sucks, but from what I can see it's gone from being a DIRECTV issue to be being a home repair issue.

It's not like I'm trying to screw them out of free labor. The installer told me where he was putting it and I did agree to it. However I had no idea they would then refuse to service it. Had I known that I would have never allowed him to install it where he did. I shouldn't be punished because they failed to train their installer properly.

#15 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

You're not being punished.

It could be that there is a new install company. I would be willing to bet that new or old company, their insurance policies probably don't allow them to access the roof where the original dish is. I've read other accounts of roof installs being limited to a roof location at the edge where the installer can access without getting off of the ladder. Seems to me it was insurance/OSHA/install company policy that restricted things.

I feel for your situation, but in this case I really don't thinks it's DirecTV's obligation to deal with your old dish.

Good luck.

#16 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

Is it that visible? You could take down the dish and the mast and leave the base plate. That way, no patching. That's what I had the installer do last week.

Leaving the base plate seems to be fairly standard, even on wall mounts. The house next door has had three different dishes (2x D*, 1x E*) and there are two spare base plates still bolted to the side of the house. My guess is that the installers didn't want to worry about leaks, so they left them. Of course the most recent installer (E*) also swagged some extra coax down the side and back of the house so it looks really crappy.

#17 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

I humbly disagree. They defaced his roof with two identical dishes. He's paying them for maintenance on the INSTALLED equipment, including the dish (that's why someone gets the protection plan, as DVRs are already included as they're leased). D* put the dish on the roof. As a homeowner, I really don't care if they subcontracted company A, B, and Acme. The fact is D* put a visible entity on the house.

If the initial installer said "Well, we can put it way up there, but once it's there, and it breaks, we'll put another one over there instead", I'm sure the owner would have at least thought about it.

/c

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

Sorry Doug, but I gotta disagree with you here. DirecTV came out and installed the dish to their specifications (with the homeowner's consent). He has the PP, which states that DirecTV will service items that are defective and need repair. DirecTV needs to maintain that item (the dish). The only thing that would void it being serviced was if the subscriber made an unauthorized repair, which he did not. If DirecTV does not want to service the dish due to its location, they need to move it, not just put up new one and leave the old one behind.

As ctaranto points out, it's a different issue than if the subscriber insists on the dish being installed somewhere and he's told that it can be done, but cannot be serviced if it is in that location.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Have you done this yourself?

Much damage can be caused by not doing this correctly.

#20 OFFLINE   mckeemike505

mckeemike505

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:01 AM

If nothing else call retention and tell them what is going on. By the way get an estimate of the price to remove the dish by a contractor so you can give retention the amount and they should atleast credit your account for the amount if they can't get someone to remove the dish for you. That is probably the best that you can do. I am sorry the situation definately sucks.
Mike
3HR20-700's, HR21, 3R15's, Charter Cable Modem 25Mbs down and 3Mbs up. Slimline dish with 2 6x8 multi switches.
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U 50" 1080P, Samsung LN42B750 1080P, HP Elite e2960f Core I5b 2.66 Quad core, 8GB Ram, 1TB HD, Pioneer Blueray burner 16x dual-layer, Nividia Gefore GT 230 1.5GB Ram, Sony PS3, Nintendo WII, Router is D-Link DIR-655.

spam firewall