Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I get D* to do this??

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

An unused dish setup falls precisely under the classification of "incomplete or unsuccessful installation".

I have to disagree. It was "complete and successful" at one time, and now is only not complete and not working successfully because of the actions of a D* installer.

I'm not suggesting that it is fair or right, just that they have written in language that very specifically releases them from having to do anything about it.

My understanding of this exclusion clause (and it's exact verbiage is "Repairs associated with incomplete or unsuccessful installation") is that it is meant that the PP doesn't cover this because D* should. Remember, the PP coverage is provided not by D*, but by third parties such as AIG WarrantyGuard. There is no reason that these insurers should pay for repairs of something that D* installed improperly to begin with; D* should be covering those items.

After considering that, I do not see this situation as being something that should be covered under the PP. However, I do believe D* should handle it. Their installer put the dish there to begin with. Regardless of what rules might apply, they did it and should be responsible. Period.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have to disagree. It was "complete and successful" at one time, and now is only not complete and not working successfully because of the actions of a D* installer.

My understanding of this exclusion clause (and it's exact verbiage is "Repairs associated with incomplete or unsuccessful installation") is that it is meant that the PP doesn't cover this because D* should. Remember, the PP coverage is provided not by D*, but by third parties such as AIG WarrantyGuard. There is no reason that these insurers should pay for repairs of something that D* installed improperly to begin with; D* should be covering those items.

After considering that, I do not see this situation as being something that should be covered under the PP. However, I do believe D* should handle it. Their installer put the dish there to begin with. Regardless of what rules might apply, they did it and should be responsible. Period.

While I mostly agree with you Rodney, I have a slightly different take on that clause.

My view was that it was to prevent someone other than DirecTV personnel from setting up a dish. If someone else tried to do the install and was unsuccessful or could not complete it, the PP would not cover that repair.

I believe that if DirecTV sanctioned that install and the placement of the dish was their decision then DirecTV should be responsible for the removal of the dish if they then determine the location to not be serviceable.

If the customer had told DirecTV to install the dish there and was told it might not be serviceable, then the onus lies on the customer at that point.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#43 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

While I mostly agree with you Rodney, I have a slightly different take on that clause.

My view was that it was to prevent someone other than DirecTV personnel from setting up a dish. If someone else tried to do the install and was unsuccessful or could not complete it, the PP would not cover that repair.

Interesting thought. Since it does not specify one situation or the other, my guess is that it applies in both.

I believe that if DirecTV sanctioned that install and the placement of the dish was their decision then DirecTV should be responsible for the removal of the dish if they then determine the location to not be serviceable.

If the customer had told DirecTV to install the dish there and was told it might not be serviceable, then the onus lies on the customer at that point.

Agreed. This is why I prefer to do as much of my own work as possible. :)

#44 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,936 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

The dish is the homeowners property, it's his problem to deal with it. At best he can pay to have someone that is trained and equiped to remove it and patch the roof, someone like a roofer. He could then submit a damage claim. Odds are that claim would be denied though.

Say that by some fluke, someone mistakenly installed an extra dish on your roof. How would you deal with it?

#45 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:15 AM

Say that by some fluke, someone mistakenly installed an extra dish on your roof. How would you deal with it?

I'm not a good example, as I have the gear needed to safely go up on my roof and do a proper repair. So for me personally, it wouldn't be an issue. However if you must know, I do have two slimlines. One on the roof, one on a pole. The roof one was first, the pole mount came later. I just haven't bothered to take the roof one down yet. You can't see it unless your looking for it, so it's a non-issue. I'll take it down someday, just not a priority.

Additionally, there would be zero possibility that a second dish would be installed by mistake. I would be invovling myself in the installation. Living in a snow climate, I'd be concerned access to the dish for snow removal. If the location the installer wanted was inaccessable due to snow, the dish would go somewhere else or not at all.

Also ctaranto doesn't want to hear "what ifs", it's always the companies fault/issue to deal with.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#46 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

Also ctaranto doesn't want to hear "what ifs", it's always the companies fault/issue to deal with.

You possibly feel that way because you don't read the entire thread. Read my first comment and you may come to a different conclusion. Just because you want to do all your own satellite work doesn't mean the 99.95% of the rest of us do.

Did the poster say that the granules on his roof wore out, he didn't put on a few roof, and the installer commented as such? No.

What if aliens landed on the roof, and the D* installer was scared of their death ray gun? What if there was an active earthquake going on, and the D* installer didn't wish to climb the roof while it was shaking?

Hypothesizing doesn't justify the means. D* is responsible for the multitude of dishes on his roof.

/c

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#47 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

You possibly feel that way because you don't read the entire thread. Read my first comment and you may come to a different conclusion. Just because you want to do all your own satellite work doesn't mean the 99.95% of the rest of us do.

Did the poster say that the granules on his roof wore out, he didn't put on a few roof, and the installer commented as such? No.

What if aliens landed on the roof, and the D* installer was scared of their death ray gun? What if there was an active earthquake going on, and the D* installer didn't wish to climb the roof while it was shaking?

Hypothesizing doesn't justify the means. D* is responsible for the multitude of dishes on his roof.

/c

I read the entire thread.

DirecTv is not responsible for the extra dishes.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#48 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

In your opinion, of course.

/c

#49 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

Definitely disagree with you here Robert. DirecTV opted to install the dish in the original location. It was not the decision of the customer. When the dish failed and it needed replacement, they just decided to put up a new dish instead of servicing the one they installed. It is definitely DirecTV's responsibility to remove it.

As I stated though, if the customer insisted on that location being used, then DirecTV would be absolved of responsibility.

Going by your same logic, if I had an installer install an A/C unit in my backyard and within a year it failed and they came out to replace it. When they came back out they decided that the backyard was not a good location anymore so they put it on the side of the house. The installer would not need to remove the old unit. To me, that's ludicrous.

- Merg

#50 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

Definitely disagree with you here Robert. DirecTV opted to install the dish in the original location. It was not the decision of the customer. When the dish failed and it needed replacement, they just decided to put up a new dish instead of servicing the one they installed. It is definitely DirecTV's responsibility to remove it.

As I stated though, if the customer insisted on that location being used, then DirecTV would be absolved of responsibility.

Going by your same logic, if I had an installer install an A/C unit in my backyard and within a year it failed and they came out to replace it. When they came back out they decided that the backyard was not a good location anymore so they put it on the side of the house. The installer would not need to remove the old unit. To me, that's ludicrous.

- Merg

When originally installed, it may have been safe to gain access to that dish. Now, either due to change in policy or roof condition, it's no longer accessible.

The installer did exactly what the service contract is aimed to do, restore service.

I'll throw out two more cases for everyone to dismiss out of hand with the DirecTv bashing.

You have sat service but switch to a land based service. Who is responsible for removing the dish? I can tell you it's not the sat provider.

You just bought a new house and want to make the exterior of your old house as aesthetically pleasing as possible by having the dish removed. Who removes it? Again it's not the sat provider.

#51 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

You have sat service but switch to a land based service. Who is responsible for removing the dish? I can tell you it's not the sat provider.

You just bought a new house and want to make the exterior of your old house as aesthetically pleasing as possible by having the dish removed. Who removes it? Again it's not the sat provider.

I agree with you here. The homeowner is responsible here as it is their choice to make those changes. My issue is where the installer puts the dish where they deem fit and then later, instead of servicing it, decides to just install another dish. So if in a year, the installer comes out and decides that the second dish is not serviceable, they just install a third dish?

Even if the installer will not remove the dish themselves, I believe they are responsible for the cost the homeowner would need to pay to have it removed.

- Merg

#52 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

I just love how some people feel entitled to be a douchbag on the internet to complete strangers and jabber on and on and on about how they pay a whopping and astonishing six bucks a month to piss and moan about how nothing is their responsibility and how everything is someone else's fault. If you like being and uppity crybaby, good for you. If not, quit crying like a little bitch with a skint knee.

#53 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

I just love how some people feel entitled to be a douchbag on the internet to complete strangers and jabber on and on and on about how they pay a whopping and astonishing six bucks a month to piss and moan about how nothing is their responsibility and how everything is someone else's fault. If you like being and uppity crybaby, good for you. If not, quit crying like a little bitch with a skint knee.

Not sure where that came from. The OP posted a question regarding his situation and people have responded to it. As is normal with any thread here, there are arguments on both sides of this issue. This thread is actually pretty clean of your typical "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality.

And I'm not sure what plan you have, but even with my minimal plan I surely pay a lot more than $6 a month.

- Merg

#54 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:14 AM

Since you switch to land based, the service with the sat provide has ended, and it's the homeowners responsibility. I still have two Dish Network dishes on my roof (went from Dish to Comcast to DirecTV). I didn't tell Dish to come remove them when I discontinued service, nor DirecTV to remove them when they installed their dish.

Again, no service, no responsibility for the sat provider to remove it.

The two examples you gave have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Current service, protection plan, not repairing the D* installed dish.

/c

#55 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

You, sir, are an idiot.

/c

You're not really doing any much better right now. Probably best to just tell him the word he was looking for was entitlement and move along.

:nono:

#56 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

You're not really doing any much better right now. Probably best to just tell him the word he was looking for was entitlement and move along.

:nono:

I guess you just did. I removed my post.

/c

#57 OFFLINE   watmore

watmore

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

The issue here is Direct TV's issue in my opinion. I am not a Direct TV installer, however I have a lot of respect for them. From what I read here, a lot is expected of installers and they are not reimbursed enough.

So, I don't think it is any installer's job to remove the old dish for free. But certainly no average customer would expect Direct TV or Dish to leave old, non-functioning satellite dishes on a customer's residence. The fine print may say they have that right, but who has to time to read that.

Direct TV should pay an installer to remove the old satellite dish that "Direct TV" or its agent previously installed. No installer should have to do that without compensation from Direct TV.

I'm sure any state's attorney general would agree.

#58 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

The issue here is Direct TV's issue in my opinion. I am not a Direct TV installer, however I have a lot of respect for them. From what I read here, a lot is expected of installers and they are not reimbursed enough.

So, I don't think it is any installer's job to remove the old dish for free. But certainly no average customer would expect Direct TV or Dish to leave old, non-functioning satellite dishes on a customer's residence. The fine print may say they have that right, but who has to time to read that.

Direct TV should pay an installer to remove the old satellite dish that "Direct TV" or its agent previously installed. No installer should have to do that without compensation from Direct TV.

I'm sure any state's attorney general would agree.

I agree with you only if:
1. The customer continue to have D* service
2a. The customer has the protection plan which covers repairing dish issues
2b. The customer is paying out of pocket for D* to fix the dish issue

/c

#59 OFFLINE   Ashtonian

Ashtonian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

which dish is it ?
Posted Image

link

#60 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

When originally installed, it may have been safe to gain access to that dish. Now, either due to change in policy or roof condition, it's no longer accessible.

The installer did exactly what the service contract is aimed to do, restore service.

I'll throw out two more cases for everyone to dismiss out of hand with the DirecTv bashing.

Robert, you are totally wrong on this one. These examples are not even close to the OP's issue. Sat service to land based. Different companies, not the same issue.

Having remodeling work done on your own house. Not the same issue. In that case, the OP would be causing the issue.

In this case, DirecTV caused the problem. They are responsible. They could have serviced the dish. It was installed by a DirecTV installer in the first place. They chose not to. They may now have a policy prohibiting that, but you cannot retroactively change a policy on someone. DirecTV should pay to have it removed, or send the installer back to do it.

Personally, I would remove it myself, because I am anal retentive and always do my own work, but the OP should not have to.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...