Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How does Directv update your receiver's firmware?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbrianj

rbrianj

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Directv says on it's website that having it connected to a phone line will "receive DVR service and software upgrades", but I haven't had my receivers connected to phone lines and it seems that both have been updated. So what is the truth about how they update firmware? I have a H21/200 (f/w ver. 0x434d) and a H20/100 (f/w ver. 0x4104).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

Done via sat, no phone line or network connection needed.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

If DIRECTV says that on its website, the website needs to be updated.

New firmware comes down from the satellite to your receiver's memory, where it is checked to make sure there are no errors in transmission. It's then transferred to flash memory on the receiver. These updates can take place without a phone line.

In fact there is no requirement for a phone line at all unless you want to place a PPV order from your receiver (and you don't have your receiver networked via ethernet.)

Oh, by the way, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

weren't the R/HR-10 series the last ones that required this?

Edited by David MacLeod, 03 November 2009 - 05:18 PM.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#5 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Yes, Tivo units need to be connected to a phone line to initiate an update that is transmitted through the satellite.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

Directv says on it's website that having it connected to a phone line will "receive DVR service and software upgrades", but I haven't had my receivers connected to phone lines and it seems that both have been updated. So what is the truth about how they update firmware? I have a H21/200 (f/w ver. 0x434d) and a H20/100 (f/w ver. 0x4104).

Can you post a link to where you saw that?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   RobertY

RobertY

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:32 PM

Both of my tivo`s updated never having a phone conected, a sat t60 and a hdvr2.
I think only stand alone tivo`s need a phone to download and update.

#8 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:47 PM

That would make sense since the updates wouldn't have a satellite downlink and weren't supplied by the cable companies; the phone line would be the only way to update the stand-alone TiVos.
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

That would make sense since the updates wouldn't have a satellite downlink and weren't supplied by the cable companies; the phone line would be the only way to update the stand-alone TiVos.

Never used for such massive amount data. Phone line is for authentification, not for FW download. One point - it would takes days and your line would be busy all the time.

#10 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Can you post a link to where you saw that?

I don't know if this where the OP saw it, but here's one location:

http://support.direc...C9GeVN6TzdNag==

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#11 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

Never used for such massive amount data. Phone line is for authentification, not for FW download. One point - it would takes days and your line would be busy all the time.

All downloads (software, authorization, guide data, etc.) come via the satellite streams. Other than being used as a convenience for on-screen caller ID displays, the phone line is used only for uploading data to D*. For example, the phone line is needed to upload records of PPV purchases made via the remote. Otherwise, D* would have no idea that you had ever bought them. The phone line can be used to verify, via caller ID, that all receivers on the account are in the same house. If you opt-in to sharing your viewing habit data, that is uploaded via the phone line.

My understanding is that with a compatible receiver connected to The Internet via Ethernet, the phone line is unnecessary as uploads can be done that way.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,860 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

In case of TiVo software update, there was phone authentication/initialization for start the process. No need to sidetrack my post.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

I don't know if this where the OP saw it, but here's one location:

http://support.direc...C9GeVN6TzdNag==

That is some seriously old/misleading info. Really, you need a phone line NFLST and NBALP?

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

In case of TiVo software update, there was phone authentication/initialization for start the process. No need to sidetrack my post.

Yup, I needed a phone line connected to my R10 in order to receive Guide updates and software updates.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Yup, I needed a phone line connected to my R10 in order to receive Guide updates and software updates.

Not guide updates, just to kick off software updates.

#16 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,568 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

There was a time back in the day when the TiVos did receive the software updates on the phone. Then one of those updates allowed future updates to be downloaded from the satellite. But, the phone was required to initiate the installation of the update. Since, I no longer have a TiVo based DVR, they may have eliminated that install requirement.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

Not guide updates, just to kick off software updates.

Nope. Needed it for Guide updates too. If I was disconnected long enough from my phone line I would start getting messages that I hadn't been connected and my Guide would be a lovely TBA. As soon as I connected my phone line and forced it to call my Guide would repopulate.

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

Nope. Needed it for Guide updates too. If I was disconnected long enough from my phone line I would start getting messages that I hadn't been connected and my Guide would be a lovely TBA. As soon as I connected my phone line and forced it to call my Guide would repopulate.

Well then I guess you had a very special R10, because mine was never connected to the phone line and definitely had guide data.

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

Well then I guess you had a very special R10, because mine was never connected to the phone line and definitely had guide data.

I will admit that it wasn't all the Guide data that showed as TBA. The first few days on the Guide would always have info, but after that it would just say TBA. As soon as I plugged in the phone line and had it dial, the Guide would start to fully populate. Might have been something else going on, but it is definitely a coincidence then.

And I thought all Tivo owners were special... :)

- Merg

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

If DIRECTV says that on its website, the website needs to be updated.

New firmware comes down from the satellite to your receiver's memory, where it is checked to make sure there are no errors in transmission. It's then transferred to flash memory on the receiver. These updates can take place without a phone line.

In fact there is no requirement for a phone line at all unless you want to place a PPV order from your receiver (and you don't have your receiver networked via ethernet.)

Oh, by the way, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Unless it s a darn Tivo.. still need phone lines to get info for those guys.. I don;t think firmware, but daily tivo c***

Protected By... spam firewall...And...