Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Media Center Tuner

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   my1423

my1423

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:24 AM

Some time back there was a test program for a usb dual tuner hd tuner for your home media center pc. It was called the hdpc-20. I read that it was canceled back in 2008. Microsoft was involved in this project as well and included drivers for it in media center. Here is the engadget info page.
http://www.engadgeth...-tuner-is-real/

Is this back in development? Is there any new unit like this? I ask for I saw this article for a Dish unit and figured Directv would have to have some sort of competing unit for it.
http://www.bigpictur...-Near-You.shtml

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

Sorry double post.

#3 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

As I said in another thread I would like for DTV to do an internal HD DVR Tuner Card for Windows 7 and for the Playstation 3 and 4 when that comes out.

I wonder if maybe that is why they stopped the development of it because DTV decided to do an internal version?

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

The HDPC-20 *was* DirecTV's one and only attempt at a media center tuner, and it was abandoned largely due to Microsoft's unfortunate change in focus with Media Center, which was a huge mistake IMO, as the technologies were *just* about to come together to make it truly viable.

DirecTV's focus going forward is on their own "whole home DVR" rather than Media Center. :(

#5 OFFLINE   ramcm7

ramcm7

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

Can we get some ADD meds for Microsoft to keep them focused? We have seen similar drops in focus with UltimateTV and MSN-TV (fka: WebTV). I am sure there are people more in tune to Redmond, Washington, but I get the impression they really want to be a software giant; they have some good ideas for media projects, but get bored/distracted; they have a pretty successful gaming platform, but at times appear to want it not to be as successful as it is. WTF?

#6 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

The HDPC-20 *was* DirecTV's one and only attempt at a media center tuner, and it was abandoned largely due to Microsoft's unfortunate change in focus with Media Center, which was a huge mistake IMO, as the technologies were *just* about to come together to make it truly viable.

DirecTV's focus going forward is on their own "whole home DVR" rather than Media Center. :(

What is Microsoft's new focus with Media Center? Are they just going with Cable? I read a rumor that Dish Network is doing a TV Tuner for Windows Media Center.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

Both DirecTV and Dish were developing tuners for Windows Media Center, and both companies have dropped these projects. Microsoft has shifted their MC focus away from "traditional" TV and are moving towards more Internet-based TV options (NetFlix support, and anything else they can control or license) and downloaded media playback. As such, they are devoting fewer resources to the continued development of the TV portion of Media Center, and that announcement was enough to kill both projects.

You can read more over on http://thegreenbutton.com/.

#8 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:13 AM

Both DirecTV and Dish were developing tuners for Windows Media Center, and both companies have dropped these projects. Microsoft has shifted their MC focus away from "traditional" TV and are moving towards more Internet-based TV options (NetFlix support, and anything else they can control or license) and downloaded media playback. As such, they are devoting fewer resources to the continued development of the TV portion of Media Center, and that announcement was enough to kill both projects.

You can read more over on http://thegreenbutton.com/.

Thanks for the info. What about cable tuner cards for Windows 7 Media Center?

At the Windows 7 Debut Event it looked like Microsoft wants Windows 7 Media Center to be your main HD DVR. They showed it controlling alot of HDTV's at the same time.

Edited by CraigerCSM, 06 November 2009 - 12:59 PM.

#9 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

Microsoft adds Digital Cable support to Windows 7

http://www.engadget....cond-media-cen/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...