Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directtv scam

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   charlie44

charlie44

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

I had been with DirecTV for over 12 years. I just canceled my sub because they keep adding a fee for a receiver I bought on EBay. I get it straightened out and in a few months it's back on there! They need to get their stuff together! I just signed up with Dish net and it is as good as or better than DirecTV! Don't waste your time with these clowns. I am in no way associated with Dish net except a happy customer!

Well today they sent me a empty box. Don't know what they want me to put in it? I bought all my recievers stright out. My be a few rocks to make it weigh allot so they can pay shipping!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

Just because you got the receiver on ebay didn't mean you own it - it's going to be leased unless you can prove the prior owner owned the receiver. Also, each receiver after the 1st, whether owned or leased, requires a $5 additional receiver fee. Sounds like you somehow didn't understand that.

For someone whose been with DirecTV for over 12 years as you claim, I'd think you'd realize that.

Oh, hope you enjoy that $400 non-returned receiver fee you're going to get hit with for throwing the box away.

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:36 AM

When you purchased that receiver off of ebay, did you contact DirecTV beforehand and verify with the Access Card department that the receiver ID was in fact an owned receiver and not a lease? And as Say-What mentioned, after the first receiver on an account there is a $5 additional receiver/mirroring fee added to your account.

What was the fee listed as on your account? Did you happen to get a DVR off of ebay? If so, and this is your first DVR, there is a $6 DVR fee per account.

And also as Say-What mentioned, you're going to want to return the DVR to DirecTV. Any leased receiver is the property of DirecTV and needs to be returned up cancellation of service or deactivation of the receiver.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:46 AM

.... I am in no way associated with Dish net except a happy customer!

Right .... :nono2:
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:47 AM

I had been with DirecTV for over 12 years. I just canceled my sub because they keep adding a fee for a receiver I bought on EBay. I get it straightened out and in a few months it's back on there! They need to get their stuff together! I just signed up with Dish net and it is as good as or better than DirecTV! Don't waste your time with these clowns. I am in no way associated with Dish net except a happy customer!

Well today they sent me a empty box. Don't know what they want me to put in it? I bought all my recievers stright out. My be a few rocks to make it weigh allot so they can pay shipping!

What is the receiver model number? and what is the fee called? how much is it?

#6 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:12 AM

Seeing the winky in his title, perhaps he is being a smart a** and just playing with us.

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

Unless you have an HR21Pro or got the receiver prior to Mar, it's unlikely that your receivers are owned so you have to be careful because for each non-returned HD DVR you'll be charged $470. The fees are less for the other receivers.

If you buy the receiver from a retail store it's still a lease. However, regardless if it’s a lease or an owned receiver, there is a fee for each additional receiver beyond the primary. It’s $4.99/mo no matter what kind of receiver or its lease status. The only thing that would be different is whether it’s called a “leased receiver” or an “additional receiver”.

They expect you to send back your receivers. It’s important you ensure that you can prove it’s owned before you decide not to return it.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,784 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:25 AM

Rather than ragging on the OP as several have done, it would be better to hope the OP comes back and sees several of the other serious responses about ownership versus lease status.

The OP does have a history with DIRECTV of them "correcting" his account for the receiver purchased through ebay so I hope the OP would take the time to call DIRECTV and yet again explain the problem so that the non-returned fee would be taken care of permanently.

#9 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:41 AM

I hope the OP would take the time to call DIRECTV and yet again explain the problem so that the non-returned fee would be taken care of permanently.

Best advice in this thread.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

There was a scam, but it wasn't DirecTV that scammed you. It was whoever you "bought" that receiver from on eBay. DirecTV boxes are just like cable boxes nowadays. You can't buy and sell converters from Charter, and you can't from DirecTV (as a general rule)

#11 OFFLINE   ebockelman

ebockelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:58 AM

There was a scam, but it wasn't DirecTV that scammed you. It was whoever you "bought" that receiver from on eBay. DirecTV boxes are just like cable boxes nowadays. You can't buy and sell converters from Charter, and you can't from DirecTV (as a general rule)

The problem is that the retail situation confuses the picture. People don't get their Charter boxes for $200 at Best Buy.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

The problem is that the retail situation confuses the picture. People don't get their Charter boxes for $200 at Best Buy.

I totally agree. That's the major inconsistency that clouds the whole picture.

I get that DirecTV doesn’t have an office you can go to get your receiver and do a self install like cable. However, that means they have to do a better job of letting everyone know it’s a lease.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#13 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

I agree with you on that, but even after a $200 upfront cost the D* boxes are probably still cheaper in the long run since the monthly fees are usually alot less then what a cable company charges.

#14 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

Just FYI on the Best Buy situation on it says on the kiosk write down pad that the boxes are leased and are always property of DIRECTV (I upgraded a receiver and didn't want a tech to come out (no need I was upgrading a DVR to an HD-DVR and already had an HD dish). It is pretty clear in my opinion.
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

Just FYI on the Best Buy situation on it says on the kiosk write down pad that the boxes are leased and are always property of DIRECTV (I upgraded a receiver and didn't want a tech to come out (no need I was upgrading a DVR to an HD-DVR and already had an HD dish). It is pretty clear in my opinion.

It is now but it wasn't always. Just because someone knows that BB has them in stock doesn't necessarily mean they know it’s a lease. Some people may not have read that sign and saw an HR23 on Craig’s List or eBay and think that they’re buying a DVR. Since that’s the way it was when they first had DirecTV then it doesn’t occur to them that it’s different now.

Since retail sales is an important revenue stream for DirecTV it makes it hard to ensure everyone knows what’s going on when the receivers are sold privately. It’s real easy for someone to assume they own their HD/DVR; especially when the guy they bought it from probably shouldn’t have been selling it to begin with.

Mike

µß

#16 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

It is now but it wasn't always. Just because someone knows that BB has them in stock doesn't necessarily mean they know it’s a lease. Some people may not have read that sign and saw an HR23 on Craig’s List or eBay and think that they’re buying a DVR. Since that’s the way it was when they first had DirecTV then it doesn’t occur to them that it’s different now.

Since retail sales is an important revenue stream for DirecTV it makes it hard to ensure everyone knows what’s going on when the receivers are sold privately. It’s real easy for someone to assume they own their HD/DVR; especially when the guy they bought it from probably shouldn’t have been selling it to begin with.

Mike

Just out of curiosity, didn't DirecTV already charge the $400 fee on the original customer who "sold" the DVR on Ebay? After all, he didn't return a box and he would have been charged for it. If this is the case, why does DirecTV get to charge two people for one not-returned receiver?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#17 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, didn't DirecTV already charge the $400 fee on the original customer who "sold" the DVR on Ebay? After all, he didn't return a box and he would have been charged for it. If this is the case, why does DirecTV get to charge two people for one not-returned receiver?

In addition, I would think that paying that fee means that I now own the box. If I take a book out of the library, and don't return it, they charge me for the cost of replacement and I now own the book I borrowed.

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

That's assuming the seller got it through...the ususal channels. Who really knows where the "grey market" sales originated from...I'm just sayin' :grin:

You would think someone had to pay the non-returned receiver fee. However, the OP had the receiver on his account with DirecTV so regardless of what happened in the past, it’s his to deal with now.

Mike

µß

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

In addition, I would think that paying that fee means that I now own the box. If I take a book out of the library, and don't return it, they charge me for the cost of replacement and I now own the book I borrowed.

You would think that but I'll bet that once you activate it, it's a new receiver on the account and then it becomes a matter of who says it’s owned vice leased. It doesn’t really matter what happened before that point; all that matters is how it gets activated.

Mike

µß

#20 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Another hit-n-run troll...er...poster. Mods, close this thread please. It can't lead to anything good.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...