Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directtv scam

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

Another hit-n-run troll...er...poster. Mods, close this thread please. It can't lead to anything good.

I don't think it should be close because of what might happen. IMHO, as long as it's a civil discussion it should stay open. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, didn't DirecTV already charge the $400 fee on the original customer who "sold" the DVR on Ebay? After all, he didn't return a box and he would have been charged for it. If this is the case, why does DirecTV get to charge two people for one not-returned receiver?

Generally speaking they won't let you activate the receiver in that case. Most likely this was some one "selling" a box that have never been activated and was activated as a lease for the OP.

#23 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Not every receiver sold on eBay is gray market or used. There are several authorized D* dealers that use eBay as a marketing tool. Basically, if the receiver comes with a sealed access card, it is most likely coming from an authorized dealer and will be a lease, just like if you acquired it from BestBuy, Costco, or D*.

#24 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Just out of curiosity, didn't DirecTV already charge the $400 fee on the original customer who "sold" the DVR on Ebay? After all, he didn't return a box and he would have been charged for it. If this is the case, why does DirecTV get to charge two people for one not-returned receiver?

Maybe he "bought" it new on ebay from a retailer who leases DirecTV boxes the same way that other retailers such as Best Buy leases them, and he just didn't understand that he wasn't really buying the box. From all reports I've seen, DirecTV won't activate a leased box that has been sold or otherwise transfered to a different DirecTV customer.

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

Maybe he "bought" it new on ebay from a retailer who leases DirecTV boxes the same way that other retailers such as Best Buy leases them, and he just didn't understand that he wasn't really buying the box. From all reports I've seen, DirecTV won't activate a leased box that has been sold or otherwise transfered to a different DirecTV customer.

Could very well be....that's why a number of folks here recommend avoiding any eBay receiver/DVR purchases altogether.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Or have D* and E* check the receiver first, before bidding.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Could very well be....that's why a number of folks here recommend avoiding any eBay receiver/DVR purchases altogether.

Not to mention it's tough to police all the various sources where people can get receivers.

There have been members with stories about trying to cards for their receivers they bought somewhere after the seller assured them they could activate it "no problem".

We'll have to wait until the OP returns to find out the source of the receiver in question but let this be a warning to all considering getting a receiver from anywhere other then a retail outlet or DirecTV. Of course none of this may apply to the OP's situation. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#28 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

And also to not purchase via ebay until after confirming with the ACT that the receiver is in fact owned and free and clear of any balance.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#29 OFFLINE   lamotte

lamotte

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

had the same problem got a box off ebay and when i left directv to move to new place i was told i had to return it. rather than fight and eventually have to pay for the box just returned it and ended it

new place will not allow dishes at all totally not happy with that but not willing to put up a huge fight over it currently but living with it. just send it b back and end the fight easy thing to do. and all is done once and for all.

#30 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

had the same problem got a box off ebay and when i left directv to move to new place i was told i had to return it. rather than fight and eventually have to pay for the box just returned it and ended it

new place will not allow dishes at all totally not happy with that but not willing to put up a huge fight over it currently but living with it. just send it b back and end the fight easy thing to do. and all is done once and for all.

You may already know this but if not, look into OTARD. Federal law gives you rights that override HOA's and landlords when it comes to installing a dish and/or OTA antenna to receive TV.

#31 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hitn'Run thread. The OP disappeared.

**I hope he has a home phone to avoid E*'s $5.00 charge for no return path :contract:

!rolling
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

spam firewall